Is Matt Ryan getting a bum rap on interceptions?

DannyW

I did a little research on NFL career interception records today and discovered that Matt Ryan has the 10th lowest career interception percentage. That's not just for last year, or the last 10 years, but for ALL-TIME.

His career interception rate is 2.3% which is lower than some of his notable contemporaries like Romo, Brees, Luck, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Aikman, Marino, Elway, Stafford, Flacco, Favre, both Manning brothers, and some guy named Montana.

But how many of those guys do you ever hear being tagged as "interception prone"?

Now some will make an argument that Ryan tosses inceptions at inopportune times. But let's be fair...aside from a third and 25 pass that is intercepted 50 yards downfield, is there ever a good time to throw an interception? They are all bad.

It's too early anoint him as a HOF'er, but another 4-5 years at his current pace should place him in the top 10 all-time of every significant passing category. He is already in the top 20 in most (again, these are Ryan's positions in the all-time career passing records):

• Total passes attempted - 24th
  • Total passes completed - 18th
  • Average completions per game - 3rd
  • Total career passing yards - 21st
  • Most career passing TD's - 25th
  • Highest completion % - 8th
  • Lowest interception % - 10th
  • Average passing yards per game - 5th
  • Passer rating - 11th
  • Most fourth quarter comebacks - 14th

And this guy is only 32 years old in an era where QB's are productive into their late 30's. We have to see how his career plays out but he has a chance to be remembered as one of the great ones.

red neck richie

Matt Ryan is the best QB in Falcons history. He doesn't get
the credit he deserves nationally because they haven't won a superbowl. With the superbowl appearance last year people are taking notice. He will be a HOFer IMO. He will have the stats to get in but a ring will seal the deal. It could happen this year. I am looking forward to the season. RISE UP!

biggdogg

Ryan gets a bum rap because Atlanta teams in general have some of the most jaded fans in sports.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Ryan gets a bum rap because Atlanta teams in general have some of the most jaded fans in sports.

Maybe if there were ANY GA born folks left in the metro area that would change.

Coenen

If they continue to go to the post season, and have success, opinion of him will improve. December and January are when HOF guys write their resume.

I'm not a Falcons fan, but I don't think I've ever thought of Ryan as being interception /turnover prone. Early on he may have been guilty of trying to force the ball to Roddy every now and then, but once they added Tony G, and then Julio, he had more options that he could rely on and the 'problem' largely disappeared

Maybe all those years of watching / rooting for Favre have skewed my perception of what does and does not constitute an "interception prone" QB, though.

Matthew6

Banned thug
should have won the superbowl. just another atl loser who failed to step up and earn his paycheck.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Ryan has always been a top tier QB. He now has the O that allows his talent to be recognized.

NUTT

Bet he wishes he would have thrown that one ball away instead of taking a sack. He will never get that off him even if he becomes a HOFer.

Coenen

should have won the superbowl. just another atl loser who failed to step up and earn his paycheck.
5010932.jpg

Patriot44

Banned
Ryan is a great Athlete. He is a lousy leader.

His lack of leadership will be what he is remembered for.

Lindseys Grandpa

He is good , i aint sure he is as skilled as Bartkowski was . Talk about somebody did not have a line in front of him. If he had played on a good team he would have been in Hall of Fame. He got destoyed .