Bullet Choice

Mr Mac

My son brought me some Traditions Smackdown 250g bullets to try this year. He likes them in his in-line. It will be Blue MZ powder pushing them down the barrel with a Federal 209 primer.
20170728_141534_zpsmcwvrcxg.jpg

6c864298-0e7a-44f7-91fb-c54f878b2a2f_zpskwifxsfk.jpg

Chase4556

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ber-240-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

I shoot those out of my CVA wolf. Loaded over two 50gr pellets of 777 and a 777 primer. Shoots lights out at 100yds, and puts the smack down on deer.

Have also shot these thompson centers. They shoot just the same as the Hornady, and they are cheaper(usually can find them at walmart).

However, upon looking it up just now. The Hornadys are on sale for $9.99. I'm about to order a box.

pse hunter

the hornady .452 300gr XTP

Attachments

• DSC03872.jpg
    DSC03872.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 837

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Newer and fancier isn't always better. AT blackpowder velocities, absolutely nothing beats a solid chunk of lead. 350 grain T/C Maxi-hunters hit deer like the hammer of Thor. And yes, they work just fine in an inline. I finally go my inline shooting buddy to try them, and after shooting a few deer with them, he threw away all those half-plastic bullets. Just because you have a plastic gun doesn't mean you have to shoot plastic bullets out of it. Try it, I think you will be surprised, pleasantly.

Darkhorse

I use a .530 patched round ball with 80 to 85 grains of 3fg for all my deer and hog hunting.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I use a .530 patched round ball with 80 to 85 grains of 3fg for all my deer and hog hunting.

Yep, if your twist rate will accommodate a PRB, it's the standard and works now as well as it ever did. Almost every critter on earth has been killed with a PRB. I've never had any trouble killing stuff with them.

GregoryB.

My old Hawken shoots a 270gr hollow point hollow base Buffalo Bullet conical extremely accurate with 90 grains of Pyroxex. Flattens out about the size of a nickel if it's recovered at all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My old Hawken shoots a 270gr hollow point hollow base Buffalo Bullet conical extremely accurate with 90 grains of Pyroxex. Flattens out about the size of a nickel if it's recovered at all.

Yep. My Hawken doesn't like round balls, but it loves 350 grain T/C Maxi-hunters over 90 grains. That same load shoots extremely well in my buddy's inline. We have killed an enormous pile of deer with that load.

Buckman18

I shoot the 295gr powerbelt hollow points. They are cheap and easy, just like me.

godogs57

I have two T/C Hawkens, 50 and 54 caliber. A T/C Renegade 54 caliber and a T/C Seneca 45 caliber. They all love No Excuses conicals and real black powder! As NC said above in post #8, you can't beat lead at m/l velocities. I'll add to what he said and say you can't beat real black powder as well. Every deer I've shot with em, and its been a good number, have fell like they were hit with a cinder block.

Killer Kyle

I just finished a day at the range with some Harvester Scorpion Funnel Points in 300gr. They delivered the best accuracy out of my gun to date. They have not proven themselves yet on game though. Maybe this fall will render the verdict.

Minner

I used to really like shooting Buffalo Ball-ets but haven't been able to find any in years. Kind of a cross between round balls and conicals. I only shot a couple of deer with them but I was pleased with their performance.