Pickens County Georgia

I am heading up to our property in southwest Pickens County this weekend do some scouting and get it set up for the hunting season. I have never hunted this property before and was wondering if anyone might offer up some advice or tips. I have hunted Florida most of my life and a little out west when I was in the Army. Thank you in advance. I have heard the deer are bigger up there but not as plentiful? We are only allowed 4 deer here in Florida and I see its 12 up there. What is the most anyone has ever dropped in a season up in that area if you do not mind me asking? I am open to team up and do some bowhunting if anyone in the area is interested in maybe trading knowledge for a possible deer or bear.

deerslayer0369

Boots on the ground will tell the story to be honest. As I'm sure your aware population density can change from one mile to the next. As to the bag limit of 12, this really isn't designed for every single ga hunter to harvest 12 deer season. It is designed so that the hunters can manage there property within the different regions as necessary. Some regions have a high deer per sq mile while others are extremely low. Good luck this season.

RedRyder

I live in Northwest Pickens, be prepared to do a lot of sitting. Hunt ridges and for the most part deer are like humans and will find the easiest route to get around as long as they are not pressured. I have an old logging road running the ridge on my property and that's were we see the most activity.

Thank you all very much. I am going up there this weekend to scout it out really good and put some cameras up. I am off of Moores Gin road by the Tickanetley timber property RedRyder if you are familiar with that area? Do you happen to know if the bear hunting is good in the area? I apologize if these sound stupid. Its a 7 1/2 hr drive so any outside knowledge aside from boots on the ground is much appreciated. Haha, DeerSlayer I was not expecting to get that many. I just could not believe the limit was so high compared to N.E Florida where I hunt.

RedRyder

I am not sure I am familiar with that area. I am also from your area I grew up in Baldwin/Bryceville area. My mom still lives there.

The deer are no where near as numerous as what you are used to but they are there. If the property has a lot of hills and rock outcrops you may just have bear. Get the cheapest greasiest bag of dog food you can find, pour it out, and put a camera on it, if there are bear around they will find it. I'll PM you my number, its always nice to talk to home folks.

Thank you RedRyder. I will send my number as well and maybe we can hook up this season and do a little hunt. I am getting all of my ends together here and am going to head up later this evening. I will definitely grab the dog food and see how that goes. Thank you everyone again for the input.

bowandgun

Do everything you can to protect your belongings you leave at your camp. Poachers can be a big problem up here. Put up lots of no trespassing signs. Good luck there are plenty of deer.

PappyHoel

Deer are few and far between up there but they are there. Just not as many deer as south ga. Dependent on your area I probably wouldn't take more than one to two deer per year. We hunt relatively close to Pickens in Lumpkin cty

As far as bear get rid of them if you want deer. Kill them if legal.

mattuga

Banned
Thank you all very much. I am going up there this weekend to scout it out really good and put some cameras up. I am off of Moores Gin road by the Tickanetley timber property RedRyder if you are familiar with that area? Do you happen to know if the bear hunting is good in the area? I apologize if these sound stupid. Its a 7 1/2 hr drive so any outside knowledge aside from boots on the ground is much appreciated. Haha, DeerSlayer I was not expecting to get that many. I just could not believe the limit was so high compared to N.E Florida where I hunt.

I will be hunting about 10 miles to your east and the area does have decent deer. The deer density is not what you'd expect to find in less populated areas in S GA with Ag but the bucks seem to have decent genetics. They seem more like what I have seen with the Cherokee County flower eating deer than the tough living mountain deer. I'm checking cameras this weekend and hoping to see some more does and fawns than we have been. I've seen areas with much more deer and much less. That said if we were dropping does too much it wouldn't take but a couple of years to see the effects. I'm new to hunting this area so that is my short summary based on what I've seen.

Enjoy this season!

I have to say if the drive is of concern you drive through (or near) some of the best hunting in GA to get to Pickens from Jacksonville. Much higher deer density in central and SW GA. Just a thought if there wasn't a specific reason you went to Pickens.

Thank you all for the information. I went up there a couple weeks ago and hung a couple stands and put up about 25 no trespassing signs. I saw rubs and scrapes all over the place but nothing that looked recent. Our neighbor said he sees really big deer and turkey out there so I really hope this season turns out well. Mattuga, I am definitely interested in hunting some public land up there. I still have a lot to learn about hunting in Georgia. The laws and terrain are a lot different then what I am use to in South and Central Florida.