12 Oaks Vinegar

Brushape

I am looking for a source for 12 Oaks Vinegar, preferably in the middle Ga. area. This is an apple cider vinegar sold under the White House label. I have a recipe for BBQ sauce from a departed friend which calls for this brand and no substitution. He must have thought highly of it. I remember his sauce was great. It was of the western N.C., Tn., Ky. nature.

I have looked in the local grocery stores with no luck. I can order it over the web, but I'm really leary about the shipping cost and shipping damage even on a case lot.

Anyone know if any the local butcher shops or Mom and Pop stores that might stock it? I wouldn't mind driving an hour-or -so from Macon to buy some.

Bream Pole

any chance of you sharing the recipe?

The Twelve Oaks vinegar that I am familiar with can be found at some IGA stores. Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson uses it exclusively.

The reason your friend insists on it is that it is a 4% acidity vinegar rather than the typical 5%. It also is colored to look like Apple Cider but is not Apple Cider. I thought it was apple Cider until I read the label. The last Jug I bought had it prominently marked as colored. I know nothing about White House being involved, but they may own the 12 Oaks company.

There are other 4% vinegars. Kroger sells a 4% under its brand name and Walmart is carrying a 4% vinegar.

I have a gallon jug of the 12 Oaks colored to look like Apple Cider, which I got and was getting at our local IGA, but it has now closed. So will probably just use the Walmart offered brand or the Krogers which are not colored when I run out of the 12 Oaks. I have used them before when IGA was out and could not tell the difference.

Hope this helps and certainly would appreciate the recipe.

Brushape

Bream Pole, thanks for the reply. I was aware of the coloring in the 12 Oaks but not the difference in acidity. If I can't find the 12 oaks I will probably try one of the substitutes you recommended.

I sent you a PM with a couple of recipes.

Bream Pole

Thanks