Absolute biggest waste of money in hunting...

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Does are easy long as you have property big enough to keep them in the area and not wonder off. Which if you mange property you know how to have bedding area, food and water source and plenty of deep cover for them to get away from the action in the heat of the season. Knowing how to pick out the ones that need culled from the group and harvesting mature does is all important.

But getting does on a property is easy business...Corn will do that.
Not thru a closed in high fence.:cheers:

walters

Deer hunting

I think if u really enjoy it, its worth every penny, u could be spending it on worse I promise. And if u spending time with son or daughter, grandkids, its that much better, saw a man in the bow shop yesterday with his little boy, he was about 5, brought back so many memory's when my son was that young :)

Teh Wicked

Not thru a closed in high fence.:cheers:

Closed fence places usually don't allow harvesting of does. If you visit a high fence operation to shoot a doe, that's pretty bad. high fence hunts are EXPENSIVE! so anyone who goes to one is there to harvest a trophy buck. But like mentioned before, typical "High fence" place don't really do many hunts. Sure the random trust fund kid wants to take credit for nailing a monster. But their biggest business is the sale of the mature bucks they raise. Either it be the sperm, or the actual deer itself, both are harvested and sold, both BIG business in the USA.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Closed fence places usually don't allow harvesting of does. If you visit a high fence operation to shoot a doe, that's pretty bad. high fence hunts are EXPENSIVE! so anyone who goes to one is there to harvest a trophy buck. But like mentioned before, typical "High fence" place don't really do many hunts. Sure the random trust fund kid wants to take credit for nailing a monster. But their biggest business is the sale of the mature bucks they raise. Either it be the sperm, or the actual deer itself, both are harvested and sold, both BIG business in the USA.

Sounds like you hunt a lot at your high fence operation of a distant relative by marriage.Shoot strait this year. Have fun.:shoot::cool::cheers:

Teh Wicked

Never hunted it once....Refuse to do so. Im against high fence hunting operations 100%, I think its shameful to exploit a natural resource like that for big profits.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
All fair points, but if are truly trying to debate the economics of deer hunting to feed your family (as many like to do) then you also have to consider the fact that if you are doing it to provide for your family that you have to consider what you could make working during the time you are hunting instead then just buying meat with that money. Which will never provide an economic justification for hunting as a reasonable source of food

You can't buy deer meat no matter how much money you have.

shdw633

You can't buy deer meat no matter how much money you have.

That's not necessarily true, you can get in in restaurants all over the place and you can buy most other game species as well as deer, elk, bison and so forth via high fence farmers or just go down to your local processor and buy some.

turkeyman55

waste

What do you think is the biggest waste of money when it comes to getting ready for the hunting season?

Personally, I think scentlok clothing is the biggest waste of cash. I don't see the need in it. Never have, never will.
liberals protesting hunters in fl i got death threats bear hunting on line cowards PS JESUS SAID TO LAY HANDS ON THE SICK

BowArrow

Everything other than my bow and climbing stand. I give deer their nose,ears and eyes. I use the old fashion boots on the ground scouting.

Bowhunter77

All of this stuff is cheaper than a wife, you ever add up how much they spend? Deer hunting is way cheaper, and my stuff never goes out of style by the next month.

44magpastor

#1 most useless item to me.....a grunt call. I know lots of people swear by them. But I've never seen a deer respond to one, and I didn't start trying them last season. I've tried them on and off for years.

#2 Most Useless Item: Scent elimination products . Scent free detergent, scent free dryer sheets, deodorant, scent free shampoo, scent lock clothes, scent away spray..... How can you know, for certain, that any of that works? Smh.

glynr329

Truthfully one of the biggest waste is the top of the line bullets. Most of the hunters that hunt woods shoot less than a hundred yards. Probably the best bullet for that is plain old Remington core lokt. Then doe pee not saying it has not worked because I have had a buck and put his nose on the bottle. 9 out of 10 nothing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's not necessarily true, you can get in in restaurants all over the place and you can buy most other game species as well as deer, elk, bison and so forth via high fence farmers or just go down to your local processor and buy some.

There is a big difference between wild whitetail meat and farm-raised fallow deer. Fallow is not nearly as good, and, it costs a fortune.

Scent control. The deer are still gonna smell that nasty coffee breath.

Deer aren't scared of coffee as far as I know. They're scared of humans. :)

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I'm going with scent controls. I usually just rub my clothes down with leaves or pine needles when I get to the woods. And the face paint.......never saw a need for it.

Bubba_1122

$300 backpacks to carry $30 worth of stuff in and $400 Sitka jackets.

Me and my buddies grew up hunting in jeans and a flannel shirt. Killed our share.

I just dont know how we killed deer back in the sixties. Blue jeans, old army filed jacket. Blue watch cap. Shiney guns the brighter the better. Sat around the fire place in the deer camp and wear the same cloths hunting. Everybody but me smoked or chewed in the stand. I guess the deer are much smarter now.