Wildgame Innovations.

Pappy

Ive been watching this thread and was little hesitant to post a reply and bring it back to life. lol.

Ive been running trail cams for ages. Back to the old film units, way before digitals.

Unfortunately these days, manufacturing quality has went down the tubes on a lot of products. I guess these things may fall in that category, but I think over the last few years they have improved though. I have a Bushnell I bought and has been hanging somewhere out there since the summer of 2013 and it hasnt skipped a beat. I'd have to say by far the best one Ive ever owned as far as problem free and longevity. But my nephew bought one at the same time I got mine, at the same store and his had all kinds of problems.

I have owned only one WGI that the wife bought me for Christmas 2014. It, by far, had the best picture and video quality of anything I had owned including that Bushnell.
Unfortunately it started acting up this past Spring. The sensors all but stopped working and it would eat batteries like crazy. and I always use Duracells.
My brother runs nothing but WGI. He started using them only about 2 years or less ago. I gave it to him to tinker with and he said he will probably contact them to see if he can get an estimate to fix it. Shot in the dark whether its feasable over buying a new one but why not? Me ....... I just didnt want to mess with it. I cant remember the exact model name but I think it was 8 mp. It was not a lower end cost camera, but wasnt over the top either. And again it by far had the best image quality of anything I had owned. Grainy a little, yes. But to capture the best 'moving image' Im assuming these things run off a higher ISO to get a faster shutter speed. That equals grain. Besides, Im not interested in making portraits out of these images. Im just after decent/good pics to see whats going on out there.

This one plus some old, old Cuddys finally bit the dust and I wound up buying 4 Moultries to replace them. (I have a seperate thread about those).

Two of them work great (so far) and two didnt. The details are in the other thread (Moultrie W-30i)

I returned the 2 and replaced those with 2 WGI Vision 16.

Only ran the first one yesterday and last night. It worked perfectly so I put the second one out (in video mode) this afternoon.

On my old WGI, yes it went nuts after about 2 1/2 years but had the best picture quality. I didnt hesitate to try these 2 new ones just because the old one gave out. Again I believe theyve made a lot of improvements in these things but still unfortunately theres lemons in about anything you can think of these days.

The only thing I dont like about these is theyre black. They have the 'bark' texture but are black. Stick out like a sore thumb, but where Im running these im not too concerned about theft. If all works well I'll probably brush paint them up a little.

On my old WGI I ran it on video for ages. id have to look at the folder containing the pics and vids from that camera but it took and recorded thousands of pics and vids. So I cant complain about that.

HuntingFool

Just bought another WGI Cloak Pro 12mp Lights Out at Dicks for $69.95 + $10 mail in rebate = 59.95. Comes with 8gb card and batteries. I will ditch the batteries and install new. But this is a great deal and these are really good cameras.

Buford_Dawg

Cloaks

I have had excellent service with the 3 cloaks I own. They are 8MB as they are several years old. But all cameras will go bad eventually. WGI included. That is why I buy the cheaper level (less than 100.00) and if they die in a couple years, so be it. I keep the packages for any camera I buy and if they die within 1 year, I take them back to the store I bought them. Most times the store will take them back with a valid reciept that is not over a year old.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Pappy, HuntingFool and Buford_Dawg,

I am glad to see there are others that feel exactly the same way as I do. I have promoted WGI Cameras for several years now BECAUSE they have performed excellent for me for a period of 6 1/2 years now. I have never paid more that $100 for any of my cameras either and even if it failed after the one year warranty period, well no harm done so much to my wallet. WGI did replace the two that failed under warranty back many years ago and I have had a few that failed for whatever reason along the way as well BUT most of those last several years before "croaking".

For me, the 6 MP, 8 MP and the 10 MP cameras have worked best for me. I do have one 22 MP camera and it does not perform as well or have super clear photos such as a Blade X6 camera that is mounted right over the top of it 8" above. I really think anything above a 12 MP camera is a waste of money as they normally cost more upfront.

I also know that most people think that I am crazy for owning some many cameras too BUT that has become my passion of several years of being able to totally relax in the woods with all of the critters on my property. Also spending so much time in the woods keeps my blood pressure down as well. I'm sure that most people would never understand what it is like to be totally relaxed and not taking any medicines to make me relax either.

Some people probably have gotten tired of me saying what great cameras that WGI have been for me as such. Several people thought that I was an employee of WGI as well because of my comments.

I am definitely not an employee of WGI or any other company except my own business of which I have owned for 25 years now and it is a filtration products business. I actually have worked exclusively in that same industry for over 44 1/2 years now.

I hope that more and more people will buy and evaluate WGI cameras as I don't think that you will find any other brand that offers such a bargain day in and day out. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

And for some of the Naysayers that stated their WGI cameras failed and only lasted one week, I think that a lot of those reasons was due to "Operator Error" from the get-go !!! Of course, they could have always contacted WGI and returned it since it was under warranty.

ps: They are one of the easiest brand cameras to easily program properly and set it up in the woods. facepalm: facepalm: facepalm:

Pappy

Pappy, HuntingFool and Buford_Dawg,

I really think anything above a 12 MP camera is a waste of money as they normally cost more upfront.

I actually agree with the MP remark. These two I bought are 16 MP on the highest setting but are adjustable. I believe the MEDIUM setting is 10-12 MP which is where I have them set.

But as far as cost the camera, SD card and 8 Duracells was only 88 bucks.

I'm still in 'test mode' with these as well as the two remaining Moultries. Checked again this morning and all are working OK. Im watching them especially close because if theres a hiccup on any f them back they go!

Oh yea, got some night time video on the 2nd WGI this morning. Nothing exciing except that it worked. LOL.

Looked pretty good too.

Actually its pretty amazing what these cheaper cameras can do these days if you think about it. There finicky animals anyway.

I wont check these again until probably next weekend.

So far im 50/50 on the Moultries and the two WGI are working fine. Yes I understand its only been a couple f days ion the WGI but at least I didnt have issues right out of the box like the Moultries. And nope, Im not even gonna slam Moultrie. Good ones - bad ones. Unfortunately the world we live in.

:type:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I actually prefer my 5mp and 6mp cams to the "better" ones. They take just as good of pics, and use a lot less memory, and seem to work better and last longer.

Pappy

I actually prefer my 5mp and 6mp cams to the "better" ones. They take just as good of pics, and use a lot less memory, and seem to work better and last longer.

I can agree to that. The ones I just bought were pretty cheap and you have the choice of reducing the MP, which I did. I dont see where you would need 16mp on a game cam anyway.
I bought the ones I did because the packages were cheap/affordable and at MY local Walmart I didnt have a lot to choose from. The shelves were pretty bare so I bought from what was available. I have a love/hate thing for Wallyworld but if you get a dud their return policy is one of the best and it can all be handled local pretty simply.

Back to the WGI (or any other model as well) ........ if you have a problem return it and exchange it ............ make sure youre setting it up correctly ........ spend a little time with their (whoever's) customer support. Hey, you might be doing something wrong. Just saying .......

hoythunter1861

I personally didn't like my experience with the WGI cams I've owned. For me, they were great for 6 months and then they just took a nosedive. Not sure what happened. Now, I bought those back in 2012 and by the end of the season (had thrown them out beginning of summer) is when I had the problems. I decided personally to not waste my time with them anymore. The only cam I've had crap out would be my moultrie that died this year that I've ran since 2010. Traded it in at Dicks for a Bushnell.
Since these cams have a 2 year warranty on them, maybe I will try one out. Just personally not convinced from my experience.

Pappy

bear3.jpg

bear1.jpg

Backyard bears and faceoff with a racoon. :biggrin2: