A question on 12 guage 3" 00 buck

tomtlb66

Just wondering what is the safe distance to shoot with my 12 guage 3'' 00 buck? Is 30 yards too far? Just need some advice on this.

Flaustin1

Play with your chokes. You can get an honest 40 out of it easy so long as you do your research and put in time on a patterning board.

ghost8026

Gotta shoot the gun to know but I know a lot of deer have been takin anywhere from 10-120 yards with 00 buckshot

DogHunter4Life

i shoot 3 inch OO buck and have a extra full choke and i've killed a few over 100 steps running dogs..probably more luck than anything but if I was still hunting I wouldn't try one over 50 yards, but dog hunting as long as I can see the horns i dont care how far he is as long as its a safe shot (i've shot 5 times at one over 200 yards)--->i just couldnt stand him not at least being shot at

snookdoctor

i shoot 3 inch OO buck and have a extra full choke and i've killed a few over 100 steps running dogs..probably more luck than anything but if I was still hunting I wouldn't try one over 50 yards, but dog hunting as long as I can see the horns i dont care how far he is as long as its a safe shot (i've shot 5 times at one over 200 yards)--->i just couldnt stand him not at least being shot at

Those probably should have been inside words.:rolleyes:

billy62green

Depends on your gun. I use a 9" paper plate as a target to pattern my shotguns with buckshot. Anything outside that 9" I consider a thrown shot. Every shotgun seems to have it's own mind as to the type buckshot it likes or don't like. I wouldn't lock myself into OO only. Try different sizes of buckshot and 2 3/4" as well as 3" shells to see which your gun patterns best. I've got one shotgun that consistently likes #4 buck better than any other and another that shoots #1 buck best. I would be hard pressed to try any shot on a deer with buckshot over 40 yards, but that's just me. 30 or less I would feel even more comfortable with. Anything past that and I'm thinking that there may be penetration issues (or lack thereof) as buckshot really starts losing steam after some distance.

billy62green

Depends on your gun. I use a 9" paper plate as a target to pattern my shotguns with buckshot. Anything outside that 9" I consider a thrown shot. Every shotgun seems to have it's own mind as to the type buckshot it likes or don't like. I wouldn't lock myself into OO only. Try different sizes of buckshot and 2 3/4" as well as 3" shells to see which your gun patterns best. I've got one shotgun that consistently likes #4 buck better than any other and another that shoots #1 buck best. I would be hard pressed to try any shot on a deer with buckshot over 40 yards, but that's just me. 30 or less I would feel even more comfortable with. Anything past that and I'm thinking that there may be penetration issues (or lack thereof) as buckshot really starts losing steam after some distance.

georgia_home

Imho, yearly for the most part, in a spotty only state, I like 30 yards on the high end. At that range, with a nice broadside, they usually drop like rocks. I've just seen longer cause long trails or lost deer, Enough times that I am not comfortable with The longer shots.

Some may say or shoot further. That is fine for them, but I will stick with my guidelines as it's my hunt.

And for the record, I will be out with the drive time crew this Friday, running 3" 00buck. Land owner rules on drives.

snookdoctor

whys that doc?

Maybe that part.

DogHunter4Life

20 years ago my dad killed a hog at 178 big steps. one pellet skipped off the ground and hit him right under the throat and piled up within 50 yards. with a shotgun you never know what those things will do. why a lot of people think it is safer to dog hunt with rifles than shotguns. I've always hunted with shotguns but can see the argument for rifles.

BlastinBill

Banned
20 years ago my dad killed a hog at 178 big steps. one pellet skipped off the ground and hit him right under the throat and piled up within 50 yards. with a shotgun you never know what those things will do. why a lot of people think it is safer to dog hunt with rifles than shotguns. I've always hunted with shotguns but can see the argument for rifles.

Seems ethical...

jwf2506

there is no dout if you get a pellet in the vitals he is going down at 50 yrds like said pattern your shotgun with different chokes and even different shells to get the best combo

grouper throat

As long as u pattern it I don't see why 30-40 yds wouldn't be fine. Try to drop it right there as the blood trail normally isn't as good as a rifle. Personally I'd shoot a rifle if I could.