To Diesel or not to Diesel

MItransplant

I have owned a car lot full of 4x4's but never a Diesel.. Unless you count the 85 chevy converted olds Diesel junk I had many years ago..

It's time for new truck.well let me back up I never buy new.. It's time for good used truck.. I have been looking at a lot of trucks mostly gas burners.. But I want a long bed crew cab 4x4 not a lot of gas burners out there like that,but a ton of Diesels.. I know Diesels tend to be high cost maintainance wise. And at times finding fuel can be hard around town

PROS and CONS.. Experiances?

Knotwild

I love diesels and have owned 3 of them so far, all Fords. I really wanted a Dodge/Cummins this last go around, but couldn't find a used one priced right. There is a book full of pros and cons.

The diesels usually give better mileage truck for truck. I.e. the diesels are usually 3/4 ton (or 1 ton) trucks, so they can't really be compared to a 1/2 ton truck. I have not seen any 3/4 ton 4x4 gas trucks that turn in mileage in the 17-21 mpg range empty. When loaded or towing, the diesels are much more economical. My truck (a 1997) usually turns in 17 mpg pulling 7000 pounds at normal speeds and an honest 19 empty. The torque really helps when towing and maintaining speed on grades.

Maintainance is higher in that my truck holds almost $40 worth of oil plus a $10 filter, and I change the oil myself. But they do not have spark plugs, although the newer gas trucks rarely need them replaced these days. Diesel in my area today was $2.66/gallon and gas was $2.45. The older diesels are very simple and easy to work on yourself. I do most of the repairs myself so far.

One other factor to consider is that older diesel truck transmissions are their weak point. Until Dodge and Chevy started using Allisons, the transmissions could not stand the diesel vibration and torque.

Diesel engines generally last much longer than gas. If you plan on keeping the truck up, you can expect to reach 300,000 miles or more without too much expense.

I personally bought the last diesel to run biodiesel that I make for about $1.25 a gallon, so that is a big perk.

The only negatives for me is the extra weight of a diesel hinders me off road and it is noiser.

You didn't mention if you tow or haul heavy loads a lot, and that is a big factor. I would suggest creating a spread sheet and comparing diesel to gas for the mileage you drive. And consider the cost of purchasing the truck. If you can find a gas truck, it should be significantly cheaper.

Gunny146

Take a look at what you do with the truck. If you ride the highway alot and don't tow much, I would stick with a gas burner. If you plan on towing much, might want to take a look at a coal burner. I bought an 01 F250 7.3 and have not looked back. I really like the diesel for my application, 27 ft travel trailer. After a few aftermarket upgrades, the truck gets 24-25 mpg unloaded on highway and 15-17 mpg towing the trailer. If you don't "need" the diesel, don't spend the 10,000 - 14,000 extra on the motor. Also, if you trade trucks regularly I would go with a gas truck, they are easier to get rid of when the time comes. You really would'nt get your monies worth out a diesel unless you planned to keep it a while. The motors will last forever with proper care, shoot they only turn about 3500 rpm max.

skeeter24

I have a diesel for the sole purpose of towing a fifth wheel camper. The low end torque makes it a must if you are towing heavy loads. Diesel is not hard to find these days as most QT's, Racetracs, etc have it.

If you aren't towing much then I would not see why you would want to spend the extra money.

stratos201

I've always had gas trucks and ended up with a GMC 2500HD, I'll never own another 1500 again! Several friends bought diesels and after driving one I fell in love!! I bought an 06 GMC 2500HD with the LBZ motor (best motor IMO) and get around 18 mpg running 285's with a tuner adding 90 horses. Driving the truck is like driving a hot rod!! It will give even mustangs and vette's a run for their money! My main reasoning was the fact that I really liked the classic body style and knew that I would be keeping it for a long time. Do yourself a favor and drive all three before staying with gas, you'll be VERY surprised! Today's diesels do not have the problems as did the diesels from years ago. I've always liked Chevys/GMC so my choice was easy. I'm not a Ford fan and don't like the current motor plus I feel it takes too much to make them fast as the other two. I like the Dodges except they are just too darn loud and rattleing, (their motor is rock solid but I think the transmission is the weak point) so the GMC (LBZ - 2006/07) is the best all around- IMO:rolleyes: :pop: :pop:

whateverjones

Stay away from Ford's 6.0 L diesel it is JUNK. I work at an EMS service and we have Fords with that motor and they give WAY to much trouble to even consider.IMO

dmax07

my dad has a 2000 f-250 7.3 powerstroke with 363000 miles been through a transmission ant 150000 2 water pumps and several cam position sensors before ford recalled them and havnt had a problem since. pulls a 8500 lb tractor and trailer pretty regularly no prob. i have an 2007 chevy 2500 with a duramax and the 7.3 cant touch it i love my truck and wouldnt have a gas burner the power dif. between gas and diesel is worth the 20 cents extra at the pump plus my duramax is getting 15-17 mpg dads powerstroke is getting 18-20mpg not many gas work trucks can do that

rjcruiser

Driving the truck is like driving a hot rod!! It will give even mustangs and vette's a run for their money!

This would be the main concern I would have in buying a used diesel...especially one that has had a tuner added to it.

These are trucks...not hotrods and driving them as such will significantly reduce the life of the engine.

Dupree

i bought one back in july. I love it except for the price of maintenance and fuel. I spend around $120 a week in diesel and $60 to change the oil myself. The fuel filters are also $50. Im debating getting rid of mine, but i love it.

Drive one of each a dodge, chevy, and a ford and then drive the gas version.
I have a 04 dodge 3500 4x4 srw with the 5.9 lifted on 35's with a straight pipe, and intake and get 17-19 mpg unloaded.
I had a older gas dodge 1500 that got 10-12 mpg on 33's.
It just depends on what you do with it. Just stay away from 2007 and up when they added emission control it cut the milage. All of them have there problems just do a lot of research first I would go with a 5.9 cummins or a 7.3 powerstroke. I will probably never own another full size gas truck.

Last edited:

Dupree

unless you are paying cash you wont be able to buy any 7.3 powerstrokes. They wont finance them as they are too old. I have a 6.0 and havent had any problems out of the motor. I get 16mpg normal driving and around 13 pulling a load. I only have a intake on it though.

Full Pull

Save your self alot of time and just get a Dodge with a Cummins Diesel .
you wont be Sorry.

Swamp Star

Banned
This would be the main concern I would have in buying a used diesel...especially one that has had a tuner added to it.

These are trucks...not hotrods and driving them as such will significantly reduce the life of the engine.

You should ride in mine it will make you butt hole pucker up..... HAHAHA:biggrin2:

This is a easy one

GOT GAS GET DIESEL OR GET LEFT BEHIND!!!!!

hammerz71

Have had both but it's been 16 years or so since I've had my last diesel. A lot different now.
When I bought current truck, I really wanted a diesel, but it was very hard for me to justify the purchase and so, I bought a gasser.

There was combined rebates of $4500 on the gas 1500 trucks, NONE on the 2500s (gas or diesel), plus the dealer was matching the rebate, which equalled $9000 off list on my QC 4x4 Hemi. The three dealers I went to offered similar deals and all three would not drop off sticker on a diesel, as a matter of fact two dealers had a $2500 "adjusted market value" aftermarket sticker on the diesel trucks, that was about all I could get them to discount back off.

So, in my case, it would have been $18,300 MORE MONEY for a new Dodge diesel which had an MSRP of only $9300 more!

Because I did not tow any more than about 2200 lbs of bass boat, trailer and gear (which I don't own any more, btw), and I always have had a daily driver car or small suv and therefor rarely put any more than about 8,000 miles a year on my trucks, I could NOT justify the diesel.

IMO, if you do not haul regularly and do not put any more than 15,000 miles or so on your truck a year, then it's not worth the higher initial or long term maintenance costs of owning a diesel.

Now if you tow/haul or pile miles on your truck, then you should very seriously consider a diesel, IMO...

MItransplant

You didn't mention if you tow or haul heavy loads a lot, and that is a big factor. I would suggest creating a spread sheet and comparing diesel to gas for the mileage you drive. And consider the cost of purchasing the truck. If you can find a gas truck, it should be significantly cheaper.

Looking at 3/4 ton 4x4 and I do tow a 5000# camper from time to time. I would also have my 4 wheeler in the bed.. So there is some weight involved.. I also only put about 10,000 miles a year on a truck.. they get drove during deer season and sometimes on the weekends during the off season.

Swamp Star

Banned
In all honesty you dont have to look for one under 100k miles just look for a good solid well taken care of truck. Most any used diesel will have or at least had a programmer of some sorts on it. If you do get one GET A PROGRAMMER put it on tow/haul and get you a extra 2-4 mpg. It will pay for itself in a few weeks.

Or just buy my Dodge and have one that is already got a few grand in motor work:bounce::bounce: and will snatch the axles out from under ANY trailer.

Full Pull

:flag:
In all honesty you dont have to look for one under 100k miles just look for a good solid well taken care of truck. Most any used diesel will have or at least had a programmer of some sorts on it. If you do get one GET A PROGRAMMER put it on tow/haul and get you a extra 2-4 mpg. It will pay for itself in a few weeks.

Or just buy my Dodge and have one that is already got a few grand in motor work:bounce::bounce: and will snatch the axles out from under ANY trailer.

I greatly depends on Truck.
Myne gets best on preformence tune its a 100 hp tune.
with a boost fooler and puck Iam getting 475hp at tires.
Dyno proven.
on long trips with 70lbs in all tires and staying @ 70 mph I avrage 24.7 mph.
and Kill any mustand and most any outher gaser on road.
When I get my new suncoast and triple disk and programer on Extreme tuen I am hopeing to break 550hp.

Last edited:

shiny 308

this has turned into a power trip for black smoke lovers!!!

Getting back to the subject at hand... IF YOU DONT PULL NOTHING DONT SPEND THE MONEY ON A DIESEL!!!

And by the way has anyone noticed how many HPs the new gas powerd trucks are putting out? 400 hp isnt that uncommon

i had a 6.0 powerstroke and after 3500 bucks worth of headgaskets and other odds n ends i traded it for a big block chevy dually with the allison tranny and can not complain.