Natahala

TheTroutWhisperer

Would LOVE to. Would have to bring my wife which loves to camp but also likes to have cell service. I'm guessing no cell in any of those areas. That and she would complain because I would be gone fishing the whole time. She doesn't work this weekend, we may just do that.

The mtn man

Would LOVE to. Would have to bring my wife which loves to camp but also likes to have cell service. I'm guessing no cell in any of those areas. That and she would complain because I would be gone fishing the whole time. She doesn't work this weekend, we may just do that.

Not much cell service no doubt.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder how I lived 40 years without a cell phone? ::ke: :D That's one of my favorite things about trout fishing back in the mountains-no cell service.

WMA Man

I wonder how I lived 40 years without a cell phone? ::ke: :D That's one of my favorite things about trout fishing back in the mountains-no cell service.

It makes a trip so much more enjoyable to me to be disconnected for at least a few hours. Something very refreshing about it and that's a shame really.

TheTroutWhisperer

You guys are 100% correct. Doesn't bother me a bit to be without a phone... females on the other hand are a different animal. Plus my wifes mother is not in the best of health and wants to be able to be reached if needed. Just keeping an eye on the weather for now, really considering camping this weekend.

ripplerider

That would be a loooong day, also the mouth of fires creek is not really public access, we always thought it was but have recently found out otherwise, and the property owners are dead set on No one parking there, if you could get someone to pick you up there it could be done. I would like to float fish from there to the shallowford bridge off fires creek road, you could also leave a vehicle at the pull off just above shallowford bridge and float down to mission lake to public access. Or, you could put in at the wier below chatuge, and fish to the bridge at tusquittee road, that would be a good float, if I was with you, i have access to lots of private areas, even to the mouth of fires creek, the property owners across the river on the fires creek side will allow me to park at their house, no problem. There is a public launch at the bridge at tusquittee rd. Beside the vegetable stand.

So when are we going? I'm self-unemployed so my days are flexible up to a point. Also I like to wet wade in my camo speedo is that O.K.? Seriously is the water as cold as the Nantahala or the lower Toccoa river?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you're looking for an alternate try the upper stretch of the Chattooga in NC. From Highlands Take Bull Pen Rd down into Horse Cove and from there Forestry Rd 1603 (also Bull Pen Rd) to the iron bridge across the river. There is limited parking there but you can walk in upstream at the bridge. It gets steep upstream at the cliffs but it's pretty good fishing this time of year and you will probably have it to yourself.

Ammons campground is back up the road from the bridge. If your wife can hack primitive camping it's not too bad.

There's no stockers so everything you catch will be natives. Mostly 6-8" but there are some hogs in there too.

TheTroutWhisperer

Looks like it will be Gee Creek on the Hiwassee.. I like the campground and love the HI 9 months out of the year but August is no good, a lot of 10" stockers is about it. My wife and 2 teenage girls were not going to be denied cell service.. I can suck it though next month I will be in Colorado for a full week with my brother hitting it wide open! Hope to get up to Fires and Snowbird at least to do some looking around. Really look forward to fishing those from October.