Best way to back up all your files on your computer?

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
What do y'all do?

Emails, pics, docs, ect.

PappyHoel

Technically how to do it or what device? I use an external hard drive connected via USB . It's just a drag and drop onto the hard drive. You can also automate it to backup at certain times. Another option is to use a cloud backup service like mozy

CAnderson

I do the same with an external drive. But also use google drive for the files that I want to save if something major, like a fire that takes both computer and external drive out. But it also makes a difference if you're saving 5gbs vs 100gbs.

There's lots of cloud services to save things that can be accessed from any computer by logging in, and they're off site, but they cost a monthly fee for anything more than a few gigs.

Jim Baker

Staff member
What do y'all do?

Emails, pics, docs, ect.

I have a back up service with Norton. My hard drive crashed a few months ago. Had to get a new processor.
The Norton Program restored all the files. 1000s of pictures/videos. All the xcel and word documents. Can't remember the cost. something like $50 per year.

Several vendors out there.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I use idrive and have an automatic backup scheduled every night at 11:00pm. The first backup was a bugger because it took so long, but now about 15 or 20 minutes is all it takes.

I think the cost is about 59 a year, but it may be a tick more. I also backup across multiple platforms in the office. I use 2 file servers to have mirror image backups in realtime.

the only issue I have had with idrive is once in a while ( about every 60 to 90 days) I have to restart the backup engine after a MS10 upgrade

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I use MozyHome. It's free for up to a certain amount of memory, typically enough for all your data.

JohnnyWalker

The problem I have with cloud services and the like is vulnerability to hackers.
I'm sure that you have been told it is secure and to some extent I'm sure it is. But then how many companies and even government agencies have been infiltrated.
I keep a western digital drive connected by USB and as my files change they are backed up to the external drive. Then once a month I copy that drive to a duplicate drive and store it out of the house. I don't use my computer that much so once a month is sufficient.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I work completely off of external drives. One working drive, two back ups. I store nothing on my computer.

georgia357

I work completely off of external drives. One working drive, two back ups. I store nothing on my computer.

Serious question, but if the external drives are connected to your computer arn't they basically "on" the computer? What would be the benefit of having the hard drive external vs internal?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Serious question, but if the external drives are connected to your computer arn't they basically "on" the computer? What would be the benefit of having the hard drive external vs internal?

it is mobile. You can hook it up to multiple computers to backup them also. It is basically just to try to have the information if the hard drive in your computer goes bad.

Bad things - if you pick up a virus on one computer, you can spread it to everything you hook the external drive to.

if the drive is exposed to extreme conditions, heat,cold, magnetic, then the data may or may not be good when you need it.

the external drive may go bad also

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
No, you're basically using your computer to open a file that's on the external drive. The info is not on that computer unless you save it to its hard drive. The benefit to having your files on an external drive is having more free space on your hard drive.
If my computer crashes......I've lost nothing. Just keep in mind what Pappy adds to this. One reason I back it up twice. The back ups are also kept in a protected environment. Let me add that my work related items are backed up on the server. Basically, everything I'm doing is either working off of external drives for personal, and the server for work. I recently had a hard drive failure with no concern for lost data.

it is mobile. You can hook it up to multiple computers to backup them also. It is basically just to try to have the information if the hard drive in your computer goes bad.

Bad things - if you pick up a virus on one computer, you can spread it to everything you hook the external drive to.

if the drive is exposed to extreme conditions, heat,cold, magnetic, then the data may or may not be good when you need it.

the external drive may go bad also

Oldstick

Same here, I use a portable USB drive.

Yes it is technically "on" your computer when it is plugged into the USB port. But then I unplug and store it until time for the next backup. I figure the fact it stays in safe storage and powered off most of the time extends the life and reduces the risk of losing the backup copies.

Either that or use a large capacity USB thumb drive if it holds enough data for your needs.

WayneB

I use a NAS. (network Attached Storage)
They can be had for +/- $100 on Amazon with an OS and disks, attaches to your network as a computer accessible from anywhere within the network.