how many of you have a family plan for an EMP event

firebreather

You are a lucky guy, NC (whereas luck = preparedness + opportunity).

Key will be to get you and yours where you want to weather it out as quickly as possible. Most people will think the powers out for a few hours or even a day or so. You have to be ready to pull the trigger and put your plan in action as soon after something happens, before the masses realize it is a long-term issue and go native.

see that's my thinking ... having family taking a certain route so I could meet her and bug back to the homestead, compound etc,, as soon as possible , I feel the longer you wait , you wait for hysteria to start before fueling up with all the complete armory needed , to be able to stand off a gang etc ,,, at an avg of 11minute mile 60 plus min for 6 miles . if were close to home were good ,,,,,
all this kept in mind that we hope we never think it'll happen , still I feel as quickly you can get together with your loved one or ones ,, then bug out together , strength in arms , I figure after 2 weeks the craps gonna be bad

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
We got no plan. We've talked about the "what ifs" a few times. We're renting now, and I wouldn't want to stay there very long. It's a 9 mile walk to my parents farm I grew up on if I go through town, 10 miles if I take the backroads and avoid crowds.

Once we get to the farm, we got a lot of what NCHillbilly talked about: defensible high ground, fresh water, crop land, tools and implements, family and lots of guns. And not to be overlooked, knowledge of how to do things and make things.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
see that's my thinking ... having family taking a certain route so I could meet her and bug back to the homestead, compound etc,, as soon as possible , I feel the longer you wait , you wait for hysteria to start before fueling up with all the complete armory needed , to be able to stand off a gang etc ,,, at an avg of 11minute mile 60 plus min for 6 miles . if were close to home were good ,,,,,
all this kept in mind that we hope we never think it'll happen , still I feel as quickly you can get together with your loved one or ones ,, then bug out together , strength in arms , I figure after 2 weeks the craps gonna be bad

You're talking driving to hook up with each other?

GA native

Did society collapse from "snowpacalypse" a few years ago? The highway was shut down. Power was out. People were stranded. Stores ran out of food. But the feral apes didn't run amok then.

I agree with jrickman. The effects from an emp are overhyped.
Better to prepare against the zombie horde.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I done have any plan, other than common sense, an abilty to survive in the woods a few days. If things are so bad that you cant walk out of your house, without getting shot, you have to wonder what kind of life you would have.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Did society collapse from "snowpacalypse" a few years ago? The highway was shut down. Power was out. People were stranded. Stores ran out of food. But the feral apes didn't run amok then.

That's 'cause it was cold, and they didn't run out of food yet.

kingdawg

Ive read One Second After, One Year After and now reading The Final Day....We live out in the middle and no where (and love it) and if an EMP attack occurs I just hope we are at home and not traveling somewhere. Bought a new gun safe last year and opted for the dial lock instead of the electronic lock, the sales guy tried selling me the electronic lock and when I mentioned EMP attack he gave me the deer in the headlight look...Not freaking out over an EMP attack just trying to be somewhat prepared.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We got no plan. We've talked about the "what ifs" a few times. We're renting now, and I wouldn't want to stay there very long. It's a 9 mile walk to my parents farm I grew up on if I go through town, 10 miles if I take the backroads and avoid crowds.

Once we get to the farm, we got a lot of what NCHillbilly talked about: defensible high ground, fresh water, crop land, tools and implements, family and lots of guns. And not to be overlooked, knowledge of how to do things and make things.

:clap: That's the kicker right there. It doesn't matter how many supplies and tools and stuff you have, if you don't know how to use them, or if you have no concept of how to live without modern stuff. I was lucky enough to grow up at a time and place where most of the older members of my family still lived a subsistence lifestyle without electricity, running water, or public jobs. Most of them hardly ever bought anything. I found the way they lived to be pretty fascinating, so I paid attention, asked questions, helped them do stuff- and a lot of it soaked into my head. The whole older generation of my family was a living "Foxfire" book.

sinclair1

We do need a meet up plan if it happened during work hours, but other than that, there's no worries, most crooks and zombies take the path of least resistance.

Sitting in the middle of 2000 homes where a good many are scared of guns, they won't bother the folks blasting everything.

Hopefully we would be in Hancock county, but the key is not to be the weak one in an area, and down there I would be under gunned.
Here in the burbs, I am amongst the few that are armed with lots of ammo.

My first goal in catastrophe is we die together, so the meet up will be discussed tonight.

GA native

That's 'cause it was cold, and they didn't run out of food yet.

The effects of an emp would be about the same as snow pacalypse. A few weeks of inconvenience. I just don't see society breaking down because of that.

Now let the dollar crash. Let the welfare run out. And then the feral apes will start running amok. But the running amokness would mostly be concentrated to metropolitan cities. The further out from the cities, the safer you are.

sinclair1

The effects of an emp would be about the same as snow pacalypse. A few weeks of inconvenience. I just don't see society breaking down because of that.

Now let the dollar crash. Let the welfare run out. And then the feral apes will start running amok. But the running amokness would mostly be concentrated to metropolitan cities. The further out from the cities, the safer you are.

I agree, but we would see some pillaging in Atlanta due to the cop cars being out of service the minute it happened. Mostly just shoe stores and maybe some banks etc. most folks around here will be busy rounding up kids and worrying about their bank account getting wiped.

Like you say, that stuff on tv is in areas where they have a high population of dirtbags.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
What separates a grid down scenario over most of the country and weather events is hopelessness. The realization that you will have no help and no reprieve, all you have is all you'll have.
When the cities realize that they just went back to the pre Industrial Age, those people will go berserk.

rayjay

When the toilets don't flush anymore it's the end of the world.

I don't think some people realize that the light switch ain't going to work for a very long time. I'm pretty sure that an EMP attack is going to knock out the grid. Even with no social chaos it's years getting the power back.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I think most people get their EMP information from either the internet or the the book One Second After.

I had to do a little digging, but I read the report given to Congress by the EMP Commission in 2008. If the threat of EMP really worries you (it doesn't me) you ought to dig it up and read it. The commission did some pretty comprehensive testing and reported their results and suggestions.

Most people think an EMP will absolutely kill anything with a computer or circuit board. That's not necessarily true. From the report,

Based on DoD and Congressional EMP Commission’s EMP test data bases we know that
smaller, self-contained systems that are not connected to long-lines tend not to be affected
by EMP fields. Examples of such systems include vehicles, hand-held radios, and
disconnected portable generators. If there is an effect on these systems, it is more often
temporary upset rather than component burnout.

firebreather

You're talking driving to hook up with each other?

If driving is not available then walk to meet my spouse or in my case bike ride ,, I have a good friend that s with our local pd I asked , his answer no!! Ny yes but here No! He says you'd be on your own , I'd rather stand my ground at my house than wait to hook up at a later date with an loved one , I hope an emp doesn't happen but, I honestly believe there gonna be a lot of idiots that can't fend for themselves ,

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I honestly believe there gonna be a lot of idiots that can't fend for themselves ,

There already are and when reality rears it's ugly head during such an event the entire Democrat voter base will instantly disappear forever. ;)

Things to always have with you so you can stand the best chance of making it back to your loved ones.

Concealed carry weapon with several mags.
Multiple forms of knives and multitools.
An ASP baton
First Aid / Meds
Firemaking capabilities
Flashlight with replacement batteries.
Small amount of 550 cord
Emergency tarp / cover.

Sounds imposing and bulky, but all of it can actually fit into a relatively small EDC bag without anyone suspecting you are up to anything weird.

rospaw

I think most people get their EMP information from either the internet or the the book One Second After.

I had to do a little digging, but I read the report given to Congress by the EMP Commission in 2008. If the threat of EMP really worries you (it doesn't me) you ought to dig it up and read it. The commission did some pretty comprehensive testing and reported their results and suggestions.

Most people think an EMP will absolutely kill anything with a computer or circuit board. That's not necessarily true. From the report,

A report given in 2008 from gov data that could be 20 years old or more. A lot of changes in the last 10 yrs not to mention 20-30 yrs. Gov data is SO outdated it is almost useless. You can even START a car nowadays without a chipped key.