Band Saw?

K80Shooter

So have you got one yet? If so which one?

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Not yet, thinking I can handle up to a 10 amp. Thought I had one but a guy claimed it between my first and second email. Still looking but thinking now about waiting for black Friday/cyber Monday and see what they have.

K80Shooter

Well keep us posted, inquiring minds want to know :biggrin3:

Heathern

BANNED
Thinking Santa might get me a band saw. Was looking at the Wen model 3962 or the Rikon 10-305.

Any thoughts on either? Other models?
Trying to stay low $$$ because it will only be a hobby thing.

I liked the Wen because it comes with a stand, has two speeds and a greater depth of cut ability. BUT the Rikon has a faster speed.
Only plan on cutting wood, no metal.
Thanks

I'm not familiar with Wen saws. I have done a little research on the Rikons. They seem to be pretty good, and if Highland Woodworking sells them, then they are probably at least quite decent.

I really lucked out a while back. I got a dinosaur. A 24 year old Delta that had been barely used. After putting a nice fence, light, urethane tires and a link belt on it, I have a saw that can get passed down to my grandchildren. It goes well with my 25 year old Delta tablesaw and drill press, both which have a ton of hours on them, and are still going strong.

I would stay away from any bandsaw sold by big box stores, no matter what the brand on the label is. And keep in mind that the Porter Cable sold at Lowe's isn't a real Porter Cable. It's just a branded Taiwanese saw. Like many famous and reputable companies, it has really changed.

lbzdually

Banned
A drop cord may be adding resistance to the circuit.

If the cord stored some power you would get shocked often.

So the added resistance makes the saw draw less power, and that's what causes the 20 amp breaker to not trip?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
So the added resistance makes the saw draw less power, and that's what causes the 20 amp breaker to not trip?

it makes it unable to draw more power. the connection acts as a restriction, and lowers the amount of power available at the end of the cord.

if you broke one of the lines, and installed a 75 watt light bulb, only .625 of an amp could flow to the end of the line regardless of how big the breaker is or how big the wire is. the connections in the wire act the same way.

Understand?

lbzdually

Banned
it makes it unable to draw more power. the connection acts as a restriction, and lowers the amount of power available at the end of the cord.

if you broke one of the lines, and installed a 75 watt light bulb, only .625 of an amp could flow to the end of the line regardless of how big the breaker is or how big the wire is. the connections in the wire act the same way.

Understand?

Totally. My wife's uncle is the one who did our electrical and it had him confused. The drop cord is 14 gauge, whereas the house wiring is 12 and that is where the bottleneck occurs probably, although you would think the Makita wouldn't draw enough to kick it either way.

Back on-topic, if there is any way you can run a 10 gauge 30 amp line, that pretty much will fix any problem you may have with 110. I'm about to build a building and I'm running a 220 line and a 110 with 30 amp.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Sure, you can run a 30A 120VAC line with 10/2 w/grnd. I have a dedicated circuit like that at work to run a hydraulic hose crimper because it pulls over 25a.

Why are you running a 220vac line and a 120vac line to the building? Why not just run a 60A or 100A 220vac, and then bring your 30A 120vac line from the breaker box?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Thinking Santa might get me a band saw. Was looking at the Wen model 3962 or the Rikon 10-305.

Any thoughts on either? Other models?
Trying to stay low $$$ because it will only be a hobby thing.

I liked the Wen because it comes with a stand, has two speeds and a greater depth of cut ability. BUT the Rikon has a faster speed.
Only plan on cutting wood, no metal.
Thanks

One thing I've learned with the few band saws I've owned is they are never big enough for the jobs I dream up after I get them. :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

lbzdually

Banned
Sure, you can run a 30A 120VAC line with 10/2 w/grnd. I have a dedicated circuit like that at work to run a hydraulic hose crimper because it pulls over 25a.

Why are you running a 220vac line and a 120vac line to the building? Why not just run a 60A or 100A 220vac, and then bring your 30A 120vac line from the breaker box?

That's what I meant to say. I'm running the 220 from the house, then it will split into 110 in one building and 110 and 220 into the bigger building all off separate circuits. Really the only thing I need 220 for is a Miller MIG my dad is giving me and maybe a compressor later on.