Question about stucco

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Can you put hardy plank over stucco or will I have to pull it off?
I have a older home that is great in all areas except the finish.. Stucco! I hate stucco ... Its ugly and dont belong on my house out here in the woods.
Oh , and if you know of any other options feel free to pass them along... No vinyl siding... I hate that too!

greg_n_clayton

I don't know if you can get the hardi board to lay flat enough if the stucco is rough to an extent. Hardi board is not very forgiving in short distances. I am guessing you are referring to the lap siding. Hardi board comes in many types now days. Shake type stuff as well as sheets for the board and batton look.

blood on the ground

I don't know if you can get the hardi board to lay flat enough if the stucco is rough to an extent. Hardi board is not very forgiving in short distances. I am guessing you are referring to the lap siding. Hardi board comes in many types now days. Shake type stuff as well as sheets for the board and batton look.

This stucco is the old concrete type with a smooth finish. Yes... The board and batton look is what I want.

sinclair1

The window trim reveal will cause some issues. Do you have the stucco trim or regular?
Four side stucco?

Some stucco homes used a bunch of foam for trim and details. It looks like it's solid, but it's just stucco covered foam.

Rich Kaminski

Is it real stucco or the EIF system that most builders have been using for the last 40 years? It looks like real stucco, but there is actually foam behind a coating of stucco. Hardi-plank will not stay up on your house very long if yours is an EIF system. It is too weak to support the weight of the harid-plank and can get blown off during heavy winds. And your insurance company will not pay for any damages in you put hardi-plank over an EIF's system.

T-N-T

stucco removal is a terribly nasty dirty long and expensive job.
I helped for two days on a house one time. It was some of the most terrible work in the hot weather I have done. In cold weather, when you are not covered in sweat so the foam and stucco dust doesnt stick to your every inch of skin, may be tolerable.
There is a layer of felt paper, and a foam and expanded metal behind there more than likely. The sheet of expanded metal makes removal difficult and not at all fun. I mean, Not At All.

ebryant

Real stucco is a cementious based cladding installed over a vapor barrier, Tyvec or felt paper. It is hard and hairline cracks are normal. It normally has a layer of plywood or OSB behind it. The trim around windows and doors will likely be a layer of foam with a thin layer of cementious coating and a finish coat to match the other stucco, but may be another color.
EIFS is a foam based product and actually a good product when correctly installed.
In either case correct flashing and caulking must be done. Its the same with siding or brick.
No matter what kind of cladding you have, they all require proper cleaning every couple years.
BTW: I've been in the stucco business about 30 years.

blood on the ground

I'm not sure if its the EIF or the real stuff after reading your responses. looks like I have some homework to do. all of my exterior window and door trim is wood.

CHANDLECTRIC

Home exteriors

I have been around construction for many years , brick and stone are the absolute best ! All types of Hardi board ,plank will not withstand constant moisture , contrary to popular belief !

CC Rider

This stucco is the old concrete type with a smooth finish. Yes... The board and batton look is what I want.

There's a restaurant in Nicholson GA that has EIFS that looks like board and batten siding. Maybe you could have someone in the EIFS business make your stucco look similar.