Anyone have a good and simple biscuit receipe?

Big7

The Oracle
The best I've ever had were my Grandmother's.
She never measured anything and nothing written down.

Not really any "bakers" left in our family.

The ladies at Hills Landing (Santee-Cooper)
made some really good ones. They used lard.
Should have got that when I was going
there twice a year but I didn't.

I'm NOT afraid of lard. Yet. :bounce:

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I don't have a recipe, everything I do is by sight/feel. White lily self-rising flour package has a simple recipe that will give you a starting point... Thats how I started several years ago. Now I've changed a couple things here and there and they turn out good.

Attachments

• 2017-11-11_09.58.55.jpg
    2017-11-11_09.58.55.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 351

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Don't really have a recipe either. Basically flour, lard, buttermilk and water. The key is to NOT handle the dough to much. Handle tenderly.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Handle a little more harshly if you like a more chewy biscuit. I have a recipe somewhere for old fashioned beaten biscuits.

Mako22

BANNED
4 cups of flour (self rising)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups of milk (butter milk or sweet milk)

Mix, pat it out and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until their brown

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
4 cups of flour (self rising)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups of milk (butter milk or sweet milk)

Mix, pat it out and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until their brown

Pretty much what I do. sept I do 1 cup buttermilk and 1/2 cup water. I usually use lard, but if not I use 1/2 cup veggie oil. Add oil first and get flour chunky then had the rest.

MOTS

Don't really have a recipe either. Basically flour, lard, buttermilk and water. The key is to NOT handle the dough to much. Handle tenderly.

This is what a lady told me once too, she did it all with her hands, and said less was better as far as kneading, I guess is what it's called. They are so good! I have tried to make them and just gave up after about 3 or 4 times. Down here around the Vidalia area, they sell frozen bagged ones call Ms. Beas, that come in various sizes that are hard to tell from homemade.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Starting point, 3 cups sifted white lily flour. Hollow the center of the flour out and grab a good palm full of crisco and place it in the center of the hollow. Add about 3/4 cups buttermilk. Mix milk and crisco by hand until most of the lumps are gone. Then gradually add flour while still mixing/squeezing by hand. Once it starts getting just a little tough, stop squeezing and start patting extra flour to the outside of the dough. Continue until it’s not sticky.
First 10 times they’ll be horrible.
The next 10 will be edible.
After that they’ll be perfect with gravy, homemade plum jelly (my favorite) or right by themselves.
Good luck!

MOTS

Starting point, 3 cups sifted white lily flour. Hollow the center of the flour out and grab a good palm full of crisco and place it in the center of the hollow. Add about 3/4 cups buttermilk. Mix milk and crisco by hand until most of the lumps are gone. Then gradually add flour while still mixing/squeezing by hand. Once it starts getting just a little tough, stop squeezing and start patting extra flour to the outside of the dough. Continue until it’s not sticky.
First 10 times they’ll be horrible.
The next 10 will be edible.
After that they’ll be perfect with gravy, homemade plum jelly (my favorite) or right by themselves.
Good luck!

I guess I should have kept trying...LOL

Big7

The Oracle
Thanks ladies and gents.

Had to go with Pillsbury Juniors today.
they are good for store bought.

I will try the above advice in the next few days.

Thank ya'll for the replies. :cool:

My Thanksgiving dressing and cracklin' cornbread recipes
will be up soon. (I can do that)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't go by a recipe, but more by feel. Basically, about a tablespoon or so of lard or shortening per cup of flour. About three cups of flour will make a pan of biscuits. Crumble the shortening into the flour with your fingers until it's almost like coarse sand. Pour in enough buttermilk and stir with a spoon until the dough is a little stickier and softer than you think it should be. Dump it on a floured board and work it the least you can to get it smooth and about a half-inch thick. You don't need a rolling pin at all. Cut them out with a mason jar lid ring, put them in a greased pan and bake at 425. Simplest thing on earth to make once you get the feel of it.

little rascal

Simplest of all

About 1 1/2 cups flour, a 1/4 cup sour cream, and enough cold water to mix until a dough forms and doesn't stick to bowl.
Pat out on floured surface to desired thickness, cut rounds and on an ungreased pan into a 425 oven.
Also, you can use plain yogurt and makes a pretty good pizza crust.

fishman1957

2 cups self rising flour 1 cup heavy cream mix together knead out on floured surface about 1/2 in thick cut biscuits bake 10 min at 400. Simple but best biscuits ever try it !!!!!!!!!!

Wide Earp

I don't have a recipe, everything I do is by sight/feel. White lily self-rising flour package has a simple recipe that will give you a starting point... Thats how I started several years ago. Now I've changed a couple things here and there and they turn out good.
that is one BEAUTIFUL picture:banana: can we be friends?:bounce::cheers: