Trout and umbrella rigs?

Terminal Idiot

Hi everyone,

I am taking next week off and would like to take my son striper fishing. Is it time for trolling trout yet? Or too early (are they even selling them yet)? How about trolling umbrella rigs?

Thanks for your help!

Coenen

I know that the shop nearest me, Buford Dam Bait and Tackle, has got trout already. Haven't heard any reports of anyone using them yet.

They didn't fish particularly well last year, the fish got locked in pretty well on threadfins, to the exclusion of almost everything else. If you're going to pull bait, consider a putting out a mixture of herring, and medium minnows. Also have some casting gear ready with a fluke, small buck tail, or Magic Swimmer tied on.

The U-Rig is working, but then again, it's almost always working.

Terminal Idiot

I know that the shop nearest me, Buford Dam Bait and Tackle, has got trout already. Haven't heard any reports of anyone using them yet.

They didn't fish particularly well last year, the fish got locked in pretty well on threadfins, to the exclusion of almost everything else. If you're going to pull bait, consider a putting out a mixture of herring, and medium minnows. Also have some casting gear ready with a fluke, small buck tail, or Magic Swimmer tied on.

The U-Rig is working, but then again, it's almost always working.

Thank you!