Premade leaders?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Small sharks and small stingrays should be fine with those leaders. But you never know when a big shark, big ray or big red drum will come. They all eat the same thing.
I've used a lot of premade store bought leaders in the past....even though most of them say 250 lb leader, (or similar), I always find it's their clasp that opens up. I don't think they affix a clasp that matches the power of the leader. And it always seems to open on that fish that you REALLY wanna see next to the boat!
You gotta do what ya have time for so give em a try.
But it might be cool to think about getting some material to make your leaders and a good crimper/cutter tool and make your own while your on your trip.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabun

Small sharks and small stingrays should be fine with those leaders. But you never know when a big shark, big ray or big red drum will come. They all eat the same thing.
I've used a lot of premade store bought leaders in the past....even though most of them say 250 lb leader, (or similar), I always find it's their clasp that opens up. I don't think they affix a clasp that matches the power of the leader. And it always seems to open on that fish that you REALLY wanna see next to the boat!
You gotta do what ya have time for so give em a try.
But it might be cool to think about getting some material to make your leaders and a good crimper/cutter tool and make your own while your on your trip.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great point on the clasp...I've had the same issue. If you use them, pinch down on the clasp with a pair of pliers/needlenose. I've also had the crimps pull free too. Or just get some stainless wire and make your own leaders...if you don't have to crimp tool, just do a haywire twist...google it if you're not sure how. Good luck!

Ok, I’ll use my own leaders... by the way, if you make your own leaders, do you need a swivel on the line tying end or can you just add a loop with the haywire twist?

Dr. Strangelove

Ok, I’ll use my own leaders... by the way, if you make your own leaders, do you need a swivel on the line tying end or can you just add a loop with the haywire twist?

I like a swivel on mine, keeps the line from twisting as much. Use an eyed barrel swivel, not a snap swivel.

After much frustration with commercial products failing, I started making my own years ago and have never looked back.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I like to add a barrel swivel. Make it as long as you can and still be able to throw or cast or toss your fishin rod. 3 feet is pleanty to protect your mainline from teeth...but don't forget that abrasive tail back there smashing your mainline during the fight! A 4 foot shark or red drum will break your mainline with its tail!
You said in your op that you were after "small sharks and rays", it's people like you that end up hooking into the biggest fish!!!!!!!!!

kingfish

I'll let you know the same thing I tell anyone who asks me about store bought leaders. You'll catch a hundred of whatever fish is out there off those leaders. But, there will come that day, where you or worse, a son, daughter or other child or beginner will hook the fish of a life time and they will fail you. Make the time to make your own leaders. You won't regret it.