Yankees thoughts on Southerners

Cmp1

BANNED
Only thing they ever said about me when I traveled was they made fun of my accent especially when I was in Ohio. Folks in Colorado and Wyoming loved my accent. :D I must say, two of the nicest people I have worked with were from New York. :eek:

I love the Southern Accent,,,, the one I don't like is from the people in the UP of MI,,,, now their accent is funny,,,,

Oldstick

It ain't so much north vs south is it is, city vs rural in my limited experience and my brothers much broader experience agrees with him having lived in Ga, Fl, Missouri, and Maryland and traveled much of US for work.

Nail hit on the head from my experience in other parts of the US. People are people everywhere. 99.9% good, with a few bad, mixed in. The total numbers of bad depends on the population density, just like the number of good. After that, it is just the cultural differences that both sides rib each other about, similar to college football rivalries.

That would be me

Nail hit on the head again. That's me too, but too old to care about it now :flag:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the ones that move here seem to think that we are all a plague of ignorant inbred savages that need to go away so that they can build more gated communities of $1,000,000 houses on our land that we aren't using to its potential.

I think the urban vs. rural thing is spot on in most cases. I know some country guys from up north that are just like us except they talk funny.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
The one below Macon where everyone sounds like they have 60 pieces of bubblegum in their mouth.:bounce:
Why bless your heart, kind sir, I didn't know I sounded so *garbled*.............:smash: ::ke:
Only thing they ever said about me when I traveled was they made fun of my accent especially when I was in Ohio. Folks in Colorado and Wyoming loved my accent. :D I must say, two of the nicest people I have worked with were from New York. :eek:
:cheers:Me too, used to have to talk to IT tech support in Texas and they loved my "accent" I said dudes, ya'll sound normal to me!:rofl: And heaven help me when I went to Floriduh to my kinfolks.......at the time I was 16, they thought I was my older cousins friend from college and had the "sweeter than peach" accent!:rofl::rofl:

3ringer

Southern girls are prettier

PappyHoel

This whole thread is off base. Most posters including the OP and Sinclair don't actually live in Georgia. Your map may tell you that and your address my say Georgia but y'all don't live in Georgia. I live on the border of Georgia and Yankee land.

Big Foot

This whole thread is off base. Most posters including the OP and Sinclair don't actually live in Georgia. Your map may tell you that and your address my say Georgia but y'all don't live in Georgia. I live on the border of Georgia and Yankee land.

True

PappyHoel

I love ribbing you :). To answer your question, they are shocked when they find out we're normal. :). Everyone I work with is from the Northeast and they find that they were always wrong about the stereotype. Besides, they can't say much, they moved here.

sinclair1

I agree. Except up your way, it's more like 75 pieces of bubblegum and some bull horns taped to the jeep:rofl:

I am really the only native where I live, and my parents are Iowa Yankee and German, so I don't sound native, more like Fred Flintstone.:D

PappyHoel

I agree. Except up your way, it's more like 75 pieces of bubblegum and some bull horns taped to the jeep:rofl:

I am really the only native where I live, and my parents are Iowa Yankee and German, so I don't sound native, more like Fred Flintstone.:D

Yes bigSteve drives around up here. There's a trade off :)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I think yankees think of southerners as smarter, stronger, better looking/more handsome, more sophisticated, warmer, politer, happier, and better shots than themselves.

The smart ones do.:bounce:

Most of the ones that move here seem to think that we are all a plague of ignorant inbred savages that need to go away so that they can build more gated communities of $1,000,000 houses on our land that we aren't using to its potential.

I think the urban vs. rural thing is spot on in most cases. I know some country guys from up north that are just like us except they talk funny.

Yep. I know a few Yankees that are all good people, even a couple of the ones that come from the big, big cities and I'd give them the shirt off my back. The ones that come down here carpetbagging I got no use for and I'm in your face rude and ugly to them.

Back in the day I used to travel up there a good bit and spent some time in NYC and it's burbs - Larchmont, Mamaroneck, New Roach Hill, White Plains etc. The guys all laughed at my "accent". The chicks thought I was a dreamboat. I just laughed at the guys. :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The smart ones do.:bounce:

Yep. I know a few Yankees that are all good people, even a couple of the ones that come from the big, big cities and I'd give them the shirt off my back. The ones that come down here carpetbagging I got no use for and I'm in your face rude and ugly to them.

Back in the day I used to travel up there a good bit and spent some time in NYC and it's burbs - Larchmont, Mamaroneck, New Roach Hill, White Plains etc. The guys all laughed at my "accent". The chicks thought I was a dreamboat. I just laughed at the guys. :bounce:

So, what you're saying is that yankee gals have really poor vision? :huh:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
So, what you're saying is that yankee gals have really poor vision? :huh:

Great hearing coupled with excellent taste in Southern gentlemen.:bounce: