Canoe schooling

Casey81

I am thinking about getting a canoe but know nothing about them. I have a ton of yaks but just want something different for a change. Looking for something that can handle small rapids if needed but will mainly be used on lakes. What should I be looking for?

blakefallin

I have a Old Town Saranac 146 that we like alot. There is enough room for me, wife and two kids as well as gear. It will also take a beating! Not sure how easy it would be to maneuver solo though.

SASS249

A few thoughts below, this is a complicated subject and you can only hit the highlights in a post like this.

I am a big fan of canoes, not so much kayaks. That being said, really using and enjoying a canoe requires a significantly different set of skills than using a kayak. Just be aware that the learning curve is a little steeper.
If you are mostly going to solo then the Old Town Sarnac 146 is not a bad choice.

Canoes basically are usually classed as lake or river canoes. A true lake canoe usually has little or no rocker and a small shoe keel to aid in wind resistance. Unless you are really only going to paddle lakes I would not recommend them. Most are a joy to paddle in a straight liner but tend to turn like a cement truck.

River canoes are usually more narrow, have some rocker and no keel. They are harder to paddle in a straight line, but much more maneuverable than a lake canoe.

Many of the current crop of canoes are a hybrid of the two types. IMO the best example, and a true work horse is the Old Town Discovery 158. This is a wide, flat bottomed boat that can carry a ton of gear and people, but as a trade off it is not as easy to paddle as a true river boat.
As far as solo paddling that is again a skill set you have to develop. I paddle almost exclusively solo. My tripping boat is my wood strip version of the Old Town Discovery 158. Built in wood it is almost 20 pounds lighter than the plastic version. However, I have literally paddled the plastic Discovery thousands of miles, in everything from slow blackwater to class IV rapids.

I love canoes but they do take some getting used to.

Casey81

Thanks for all the info. A lot to absorb and think on. Once I get to actually buying a canoe I may have a few more questions if ya don’t mind.

A few thoughts below, this is a complicated subject and you can only hit the highlights in a post like this.

I am a big fan of canoes, not so much kayaks. That being said, really using and enjoying a canoe requires a significantly different set of skills than using a kayak. Just be aware that the learning curve is a little steeper.
If you are mostly going to solo then the Old Town Sarnac 146 is not a bad choice.

Canoes basically are usually classed as lake or river canoes. A true lake canoe usually has little or no rocker and a small shoe keel to aid in wind resistance. Unless you are really only going to paddle lakes I would not recommend them. Most are a joy to paddle in a straight liner but tend to turn like a cement truck.

River canoes are usually more narrow, have some rocker and no keel. They are harder to paddle in a straight line, but much more maneuverable than a lake canoe.

Many of the current crop of canoes are a hybrid of the two types. IMO the best example, and a true work horse is the Old Town Discovery 158. This is a wide, flat bottomed boat that can carry a ton of gear and people, but as a trade off it is not as easy to paddle as a true river boat.
As far as solo paddling that is again a skill set you have to develop. I paddle almost exclusively solo. My tripping boat is my wood strip version of the Old Town Discovery 158. Built in wood it is almost 20 pounds lighter than the plastic version. However, I have literally paddled the plastic Discovery thousands of miles, in everything from slow blackwater to class IV rapids.

I love canoes but they do take some getting used to.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve had Old Town Dis 158 since mid nineties. Pretty much industructable. I am usually solo and paddle from a snap in seat located in the middle. I don’t think any one boat does everything well but this one works well for me.

Teh Wicked

Had a Mad River Adventure 14 for over a year...I wouldn't call it a rapid taking machine by any means, my Fishing Kayak is way more stable than my Canoe ever dreamed of being. However, with two capable operators, they do fine in small rapids. I took that Mad River down the Lanier Tail waters Chattahoochee and ran the 20 rock rapid many times without ever getting a single drop in the boat.