I ditched the 10/22 for this

Robert28

Yeah the last few 10/22's I've purchased I have replaced the entire trigger groups with older ones and stocks with quality walnut. The new production barrel/action/bolts haven't given me any issues.

There are some really nice trigger setups for the 10/22. I was thinking of tricking mine out but by the time I sunk that much money into it I'd be spending as much as a CZ or Henry. Plus I only use 22 for critters and plinking, so didn't need anything too over the top.

Bluemoose

4 years ago we bought my stepson a Goldenboy .22 lr. He is very proud of it and has not shot it yet. Keeps it clean and locked up. He says he wants to keep it to give to his child or grandchild. Very proud of this young Marine. So he said he would buy his own Henry but not the Goldenboy because it was too pretty.

one hogman

10-22s are timeless and made to outlast most humans, I love Henry's too, I got Marlins 39As and Ms , bolt action Remington and Marlin's I love them all:shoot::shoot:

tcward

I love my 10-22. I can buy 2 more for the price of 1 Henry. (Not that it ain’t a fine gun)

lbzdually

Banned
I never liked the feel of a 10-22, trigger felt too tight and it just felt you were disconnected from the gun when shooting. I have a Remington Speedmaster 552 and it is just a joy to shoot, eats and spits out the cheapest of ammo over and over. A few years after I got it, I had a decent scope on it and I could split plastic pushpins 1/4 to 1/2 wide every shot from 20 yards. Then gun started shooting very erratically and I thought maybe the rifling was not that great anymore. It was the scope, put an older Redfield 2-7 with the oval lenses, and it hasn't had to be adjusted in 15 years. I can pick off a squirrel with a headshot at 35-40 yards time after time. Many a kid has fired it as their first time shooting.

bronco611

I know that you are talking about ruger 10-22s, I have one from 1992 and never cleaned it still cycles flawlessly. I just purchased a markIV 22 and talk about simple field stripping,cleaning. push one button barrel and bolt come off, slide bolt out, wipe clean and reassemble just as easy but in reverse order. It is a very accurate and reliable pistol.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like the levers. I have an old .22 Winchester 250 from back in the 60s that I like a lot.

Darkhorse

I received my 10/22 as a Christmas present in 1972 or maybe 73, been a long time ago. With the right ammo the gun is scary accurate up to 100 yards. I have never broken it down to clean it, just ran a brush and patch down the barrel and wiped out the breech area. I can't recall that it has ever jammed. It will be handed down to my son.

As for Henry's.........I am lusting after one!
But I think I'm going with the .44 magnum Big Boy with Brass receiver. No scope, instead the Skinner peep. I already have a couple of .44 mags. and I'm already set up to load that caliber. It should fit right in.

MCBUCK

10/22 is the AK of 22's but more accurate. I can bang 6" steel with mine at 140yds all day long regardless of the ammo. It eats everything I feed it, it puts em all in a neat little circle and after 20 plus years I don't think it has ever jammed. I found it rusting on a pawn shop shelf; some guy had been leaving it on his ATV after rides...the poor gun looked like it had been in a tornado. WD40 is a wonderful thang.

bullgator

Buy them all!

Yotedawg

I have nothing but praise for both of my 10/22's. Granted they are 35 years old. I have heard newer productions are on the cheap side. I do not know this. All I can say is I used to feed mine cheap Federal Lightning ammo that was $9 a brick back in the day and I would run through a couple of bricks in one sitting. I would be afraid to even speculate on how many rounds I have put through my first 10/22. And that cheap federal stuff was as dirty as it comes. The only time I ever had feed problems was with aftermarket mags, the long 25 or 50 round ones, never with OEM Ruger mags. Heck I used to practice at 250 yards with mine just for kicks. I will keep my 10/22's. They are tried, true, and proven.

Big7

The Oracle
No way I'm getting rid of my (3) 10/22's.

I have a matching set, sequential serial numbers
of the carbine version and one 10/22 rifle.

I have never had a problem except one magazine
spring got to soft after at least 10 years of service.

I can strip clean any of mine in 10 minutes.

GunnSmokeer

You don't have to remove a 10/22 barrel for cleaning.
Just clean it from the muzzle end and be careful.

Or, if you really think your clean steel rod will wear your muzzle crown, or your soft aluminum rod will scratch your steel gun barrel, fine: Drill a 1/4" diameter hole through the receiver to let you put the rod up into the chamber from the back end. So then all you have to do is take the gun out of the stock, take out the trigger group, remove the bolt buffer, and slide the bolt and charging handle out.

GunnSmokeer

As for 10/22's being finicky about ammo, yeah, a couple of mine were. 90% of that was fixed with the right magazines. Some mags just don't work reliably in some guns, even though they should.

And for that extra measure of reliability, I chamfered the upper and lower edges of the opening of my barrel's chamber, so the bullets wouldn't get shaved going in, or sometimes hanging up without chambering. I slightly radiused the edges of that chamber so the bullet didn't have to dive into a hole that had a sharp 90-degree corner all around the edge.

P.S. If that impacted my accuracy at all, it's not something I noticed shooting off a table-top rest at 100 yards, using a 4X scope. I used my gear bag for a rest, not sandbags, so maybe with the right benchrest set-up I could see some loss of accuracy by messing with the last few thousands of an inch of the chamber, but in my world, I saw no difference before or after the modifications.

Darkhorse

The only ammo my 10/22 shot poorly, and I mean real poorly. Was CCI Mini Mags. I didn't put much effort into them after initially trying to sight them in.

killerv

I've never had much success with cci mini mags, groups always 2-3 times the size of what a get from the cci standards. Standards all day long for me.

Everyone should own a 10/22. Just picked up my son a sporter. The M1 carbine "clone" is calling my name too.

I sure like a nice walnut bolt action 22 though. My 455 shoots fairly well but I picked up a winchester 320 that is quickly becoming my favorite.

Buckhead

At one time, Ruger was a very innovative company. Guess they still are, in certain respects. Came out with some great designs. Absolutely dominated the American rimfire market with the 10-22 and the Mark series pistols. After Bill Ruger died, the firm became more corporate and focused on shareholder returns. They dropped some of their nicer rifles and shotguns and oriented production to their higher margin guns.

The 10-22 was initially offered in 2 or 3 versions. Countless variations now. 90% of the components are interchangeable with loose manufacturing tolerances. For most people, still a decent rifle, especially in consideration of the cost.

I have always liked the design, just had issues with the accuracy, trigger, fit and finish. That got me looking at the Kidds and Volquartsens. A couple of years ago, I decided to put together a Kidd. A piece at a time, pricey. Very happy with the end result. 1.5# trigger, light weight, threaded. It is a half inch gun at 50, perfect walk around sporter, probably shoot it more than any of my other rimfire rifles. (I have a bunch, including some high end stuff)

Attachments

• Kidd Med.jpg
    Kidd Med.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

biggdogg

The 10/22 seems to be one of those things where you either like em or you don't. I have one that belonged to my wife's grandfather. When he passed, my M-I-L let me have it because my in-laws would never use it. My daughter shoots the ever lovin fool out of that thing and she loves it. It fits her and she shoots it extremely well. I just don't care for it. It feels clunky to me. I don't care a thing in the world for that rotary magazine. I just prefer my Marlin Model 60 much, much more.

wareagle

I've been a rimfire nerd for the past 30yrs and fir what the 10/22 was designed for there is no other rifle that can even compare to it. It's not meant to be a target rifle nor is it meant to win competitions. It's a fun plinking rifle. Hands down gas the best magazine ever developed for any rifle ever made. And with the availability of aftermarket support you can literally turn it into anything your bank account can stand. I believe that the 10/22 will be the only rifle to surpass the Marlin 39 as being the longest continues produced rifle ever.

GunnSmokeer

I will say this about 10/22s ; I have never found one with a factory barrel that shot decent groups. The only 10/22 barrel that has been good for me is a Green Mountain aftermarket barrel. I have borrowed other peoples 1022s with custom barrels from other manufacturers, and they shot well also I think Clarke was one and Tactical Solutions was another one.