Carters Walleye - Nov. 2011 Update

Louie B

We boated 5 Walleye the past week (3 on Saturday) and my clients have reported all were full of eggs. I'm sure it's just like bass, all aren't gonna spawn at the same time. There's always a couple of big waves from March-April and even May. Probably the same with the Walleye.

But I do not claim to know anything about the toothy critter, other than it taste's amazing and it's good at avoiding me.

LB

jim hakala

walleye

That is interesting, but not too surprising. Thanks for the reports and observations. Perhaps those fish aren't going to make a river run or they may be looking for a place in the lake to do their business. Some walleye spawn on rocky rubble in lakes. However, I don't know for sure if this is occurring in Carters, but the possibility is there. Some may not spawn (not sure of the reason) and will simply re-absorb their eggs.

I made my observations from my last survey up river. The last time I was up their, which was a few weeks ago, the females there were mostly spent or flowing and their numbers were dropping off. Maybe there is some late spawning in the lake? Great observations!

Lake_and_stream

With water temps jumping all over the place i could see that happening. 62 - 54 - 60-62 again all in a months time. Might just have them cornfused.

jim hakala

Walleye

With good walleye being caught at Carters in the last couple weeks, I thought I would bump this running thread with some additional info.

Here is the average length-at-age for walleye at Carters:
Age 1: 11 inches
Age 2: 17 inches
Age 3: 20 inches
Age 4: 21.5 inches
Age 5: 22.5 inches
Age 6: 23.5 inches

Current GON lake record for walleye at Carters is 8 pounds 11 ounces. GA state record walleye is 11 pounds 6 ounces (Richard B. Russell - 1995). If you think you have a record walleye, be sure to have it weighed on a state certified scale and verified by a fisheries biologist. Be sure to take some good photos too.

Other GON lake record walleye (as of Feb 2011 issue):
Lanier: 8 lbs. 3 oz
Rabun: 9 lbs 6 oz
Nottely: 8 lbs 15.2 oz
Blue Ridge: 9 lbs 4 oz
Burton: 11 lbs 0 oz
Chatuge: 9 lbs 4 oz
Hartwell: 9 lbs 0 oz
Seed: 9 lbs 7 oz
Tugaloo: no record

Keep those "southern-eye" photos coming. And for the newbie to walleye fishing, don't lip them! ;)

Jim

WALLEYE_MOUTH1.jpg

Louie B

Yes do not lip em !!! That is a good photo.

I am definitely NOT a Walleye expert. I run across them most of the time by accident like everyone else. I am and always will be a trophy Spotted Bass guide, but for those interested in the Walleye here's my two cents. Almost all the eye's I've caught as of late have been from 30-50ft both suspended and on the bottom (as of late-on the bottom). If you really want to catch a Walleye and fish any of the lakes mentioned in Mr Hakala's post above, I'd think fishing will just improve as we get into fall.

Obviously the gay blade/silver buddy has worked best for me lately but us bass anglers catch lots of Walleye by accident during fall while fishing Crankbaits and Jerkbaits every year so keep that in mind too as the water cools. I have tried Lindy Rigs, down-lining night crawlers, and also live-bait to which I have caught zero Walleye on. I'm sure this stuff works at the right time and place but not for me lately as of yet. I've tried the night crawlers recently knowing I was around the Walleye and did have a few pull-downs but never hooked up (with a Walleye). I'm not ready to dismiss it as a way to catch them yet. BUT, for my money right now I'd say Cranking bright colored Crankbaits early AM around steep rocky walls and both casting and vertical jigging the Silver Buddy 30-50ft later in the day is best.

Here's a few Walleye pics since last September.

LB

Attachments

• 04.05.2.jpg
    04.05.2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 729
  • 04.10.walleye.jpg
    04.10.walleye.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 706
  • 04.16..jpg
    04.16..jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 735
  • 04.15..jpg
    04.15..jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 762
  • 04.19.2.jpg
    04.19.2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 740
  • 09.04.Doug.JPG
    09.04.Doug.JPG
    428 KB · Views: 744
  • 09.04.WalleyeLB.jpg
    09.04.WalleyeLB.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 742
  • 09.01..jpg
    09.01..jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 696
  • 08.17.walleye.jpg
    08.17.walleye.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 726
  • 04.21.2.jpg
    04.21.2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 681
  • 09.01.11 001.jpg
    09.01.11 001.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 714
  • Sept2010.jpg
    Sept2010.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 727
  • Sept2010.2.jpg
    Sept2010.2.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 714
  • November2009.jpg
    November2009.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 724
  • October2011.jpg
    October2011.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 708

jim hakala

Carters Walleye - Nov. 2011 Updates

Following sampling last week, it is apparent the Carters' walleye population remains healthy! Bigger fish were running in the 6 pound range with the average fish being 2-3 pounds in size. The abundance of forage has created some "thick-shouldered" walleye at Carters (larger of the two photos below).

The walleye were concentrated in the mid-lake portion of the lake (centered around stumpy island, Doll Mtn.area). We caught very few walleye near the dam or up the Coosawattee River around Ridgeway boat ramp.

Check out some general walleye fishing techniques in the "Georgia Walleye Fishing Guide" located at the bottom of the following web page: http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/939?cat=2

Side note: The smaller photo of a single walleye below is of a monstrous 12+ pound walleye caught and released by a GADNR survey crew at Lake Seed in NE GA! Here is the text accompanying the photo of the beastly fish that appeared on the Wildlife Resources Division - GADNR Facebook page Nov. 3, 2011.

"Lake Seed has a state record walleye swimming around! Yesterday, the Wildlife Resources Division - GADNR collected what could possibly be the largest walleye anybody has ever seen in Georgia waters. The fish was 30-inches long and exceeded the capacity of our certified scale that weighs up to 12 lbs. She was caught within 400 yards of the dam and was situated in a downed tree top. The fish was released unharmed and swam away. In the spring, this huge female walleye will probably weigh 15 pounds!"

Enjoy,

Jim

Attachments

• PB150006_WALLEYE.jpg
    PB150006_WALLEYE.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 620
  • SEED_WALLEYE.jpg
    SEED_WALLEYE.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 589

Jighead

Gone but not forgotten
Just curious if anyone knows how walleye fishing is in the winter, if they are still fairly active and if so how to target them?

Scallen2112

Just curious if anyone knows how walleye fishing is in the winter, if they are still fairly active and if so how to target them?

They should be, if you can find where they are schooling. They are a cold water fish, so our water temps, even in the winter, should not bother them much. we used to fish for them through holes in the ice up in Minnesota.