Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 11-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Default Carters Walleye - Nov. 2011 Update

We (DNR) just completed our annual fall sampling at Carters Lake today and all I can say is WOW at the walleye fishery! We caught more walleye at Carters than any other time in the history of the stocking program there. Recent changes to the program at Carters have really began to pay dividends. The average fish collected was 2-3 pounds in size with a good number of 4-5 pounders in the mix.

The walleye were most prevalent from mid-lake (stumpy island) up into the Coosawattee River arm of the lake. Main lake points were the ticket. Try deep diving crankbaits or Lindy rigged night crawlers slow trolled in contact with the bottom. Best walleye fishing is in the early morning, evening or at night. SLOW appears to be the ticket when fishing live bait for these toothy predators.

You walleye guys out there need to tap into this exploding population of good eating fish. Carters has historically been a tough place to consistently catch walleye, but someone willing to figure them out will have plenty to catch.

Here are a couple of the more than 100+ walleye we picked up over the last two days at Carters.

Enjoy,

Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by jim hakala; 11-23-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM

Where you shocking?

Only reason I asked is to see how walleye and spots get along in the same area, and to see if both species came up.

I've caught one walleye, and that was at the ReReg... had I known it was good table fare, I would have kept it
Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 PM

sshhhhhh........the locals already know this
Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

So when is the DNR fish fry?

Old 11-20-2010, 12:09 AM

How do you "Lindy Rig" a nightcrawler??
Old 11-20-2010, 02:35 AM

Here is a pic that might help...
PJ
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2010, 01:02 PM

okay, inflated nightcrawler. Thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msteele View Post
I caught one at night in May at Carters. I cleaned it and ate it 2 months later and it was the best freshwater fish I have ever tasted. I'm sure it would have even been better if eaten fresh.
Msteele I agree 100%. I had some walleye given to me a few years ago and I deep fried the fish along with some hushpuppies and my wife and daughter were begging for more!!, and they dont even care too much for eating fried fish. Walleye is the most mild tasting fresh water fish we have ever tasted. I've gotten hungry just typing this
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Default Walleye

Russ, the walleye were caught with nets and not electrofishing. Since Carters is full of spots, they are found just about everywhere it seems.

Thanks for the Lindy diagram P.J. Here is a link about the state's walleye program and at the bottom is a file with techniques for catching walleye you may find of interest Trill:
http://www.gofishgeorgia.com/node/939?cat=fishing

In addition to an abundance of walleye, the fish caught were in great condition. The bigger fish caught were in the 5-6 lbs range, but there are bigger walleye out there.

I know a few of you out there have boated a walleye or two at Carters. If you have a picture you would like to share post it here. Maybe it will inspire a few to try their hand at walleye fishing this fall and winter. Perhaps someone will crack the code to catching these toothy fish with regularity?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 PM

This little guys fell to a rattle trap in the timber not far from the marina,,
I trolled tail dancers and swim baits this spring up the river, fish under lights durring summer heat with minnows and jigged down by the dam on the humps and points at different time this year but have not been able to repeat the catch with any consistancy...

But I will keep after them untill I fugure them out... But if it where easy the would call it catching...
have manages some nice crappie in the process...
Good luck guys, Thanks for the info Jim
Just wondering what else did you guys get in the nets???
PJ
Attached Images

Last edited by puddle jumper; 11-24-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Nice report Jim. I might need to come give Caters a try. Since Nick left I could use a fishing partner for walleye if you're interested sometime.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the info…..I’ve heard the same thing about them being a rather tasty fish but I have yet to eat any….I hope to change that very soon.

Nice walleye’s for sure…..thanks for sharing it with us!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:02 AM

The last time I caught a walleye was 25 years ago in the Boundary Waters area in Minnesota. They are probably the best freshwater fish I've ever tried, but then again we were awefully hungry by dinner time!

Nice report, Jim. I'm hoping to stumble across one of those toothy critters this winter.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Default Walleye

If Carters is out of the way for those north of Atlanta (or farther south), walleye are also stocked in lakes Rabun, Seed, Tugalo, Yonah, Burton and Lanier in northeast Georgia. The first four lakes listed are smaller lakes, where your probability of succesfully locating walleye may be better ("lots of fish, smaller barrel"). While much larger in size, the walleye fisheries at lakes Burton and Lanier are growing. Best odds for success at these larger lakes may be in the late winter/early spring when the walleye are concentrated up river on their spawning run.

P.J., besides an abundance of walleye, the nets run at Carters also yielded a few chunky spotted bass, yellow bass, shad, stripers, hybrids and a few channel cats - the typical species caught each year. Like the walleye, everything was fat and healthy! I'm halfway through sampling at Allatoona. May have to start a new thread when we finish to get the hybrid fisherman's blood pumping. The hybrid numbers at Allatoona continue to be OUTSTANDING!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:43 PM

Caught this 5lb'er 2 weeks ago up Harris Creek on a shallow point in 15 ft of water. I was surprised because it was the middle of the day, bright and sunny! I always assumed they liked it Deep and/or Dark! Fell to a Red Eye Shad Lipless Crank whilst I was Bass fishing....

Old 11-24-2010, 04:12 PM

Thank you for the information Jim. I'll have to give them a try sometime.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Default Walleye

I have been fishing Carters about 6 times a year. Had a friend that wanted to go up there last May at night to fish. I put the Hydro Glow in the water on a main lake point and the water was filled with Alwife. Tossed the net and started fishing with them. Great bait. Fished with them near the same hump catching small stripers, hybrids, spots, and one walleye. The only one I have ever caught. I would love to go with someone else to learn how to fish for them. It was a great tasting fish!
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Default Walleye

Great bunch of photos! Appreciate everyone sharing how they caught their walleye. Keep them coming!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Default walleye

I've caught a ton of Walleye at Carters. All while bass fishing, VERY VERY few while actually targeting the toothy fish. I've caught Walleye on everything from texas rigged worms to crankbaits, to spoons, to jerkbaits to live shad. Depths from 2ft in the spring to 60ft in the winter.

I've caught Walleye best in the Spring/early Fall and Summer (night). I have a client from Chattanooga who is from Michigan, he comes to Carters at night in April and May and trolls Shad Raps to catch Walleye. The best he's ever done in one night is 8 Walleye.

Here's a few pics of the bigger Walleye I've caught on Carters over the last 12 months. Biggest was the last picture and it was just over 6lbs. I no longer have the photo's saved in a file to upload so I'll add the links from my site. Good luck, and if you figure it out let me know LOL.

MAYBE WE CAN ALL TALK JIM INTO STOCKING CRAPPIE or SOMETHING EASIER TO CATCH !!! .

http://www.carterslakeguideservice.c...B-enlarged.jpg

http://www.carterslakeguideservice.c...8-enlarged.jpg

http://www.carterslakeguideservice.c...2-enlarged.jpg

http://www.carterslakeguideservice.c...x-enlarged.jpg

LB
Old 11-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Default couple more pics...................

Here's a couple more I've found.

LB
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 PM

Catch them often but not when I want to

Have managed a few nice ones

Jim, how deep wat the average fish and what kind of bait was in the area ? More threads or alewife???

Did you catch any yellow pearch near the waleyes?

I have good luck fishing small live baits, threads,small trout, or shiners anywhere from 30 feet to 6 feet along shore lines at dark or sunset. Full moon is good for night fishing them on Carters.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Default Walleye

Another outstanding group of walleye photos. Thanks guys!

Field and Stream,

The nets were fished from 18-25ft. deep. We did not pick up any yellow perch. There did not seem to be a pattern in the bait type present and walleye abundance. That's not say there isn't one, but we were unable to detect one.

The "walleye code" at Carters has been a tough nut to crack for most anglers. The walleye are eating good at Carters. If they eat, there has got to be a way to catch them. I think regardless of the bait used, being in contact with the lake bottom is key for catching walleye most of the year. Also, you need to figure out what a walleye looks like on the bottom when viewed on your electronics. If you don't see them, move to the next spot until you find them.

We'll do our best to maintain good numbers at Carters and elsewhere and I know over time anglers will figure them out.

Good luck and keep the photos and techniques coming. There are plenty of walleye out there to be caught!

Jim
Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator

I'll come down there and show a flatlander how to catch those things at night in the summer if you'll teach me how to catch those stripers. We're ate up with walleye here and I fish them a lot, but no stripers. Never caught one.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Great a lake full of non-fighting yankee fish.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM

:-p I am offended at the Yankee bit!!!!!!