Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 12-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Default Walleye

Believe it or not, walleye are native to N. Georgia and N. Alabama. In fact they inhabitat a large number of states south of the Mason Dixon Line.

Keep the photos and pointers coming.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
I'll come down there and show a flatlander how to catch those things at night in the summer if you'll teach me how to catch those stripers. We're ate up with walleye here and I fish them a lot, but no stripers. Never caught one.
Hey Hillbilly!!!!!!!!Doc's told me I could not fish alone anymore so I sold my center console. I have fished carters lake for 10 yrs best striper 34lbs there. I have always wanted to fish for walleye at carters. I want to cook some that I catch. Never have, If you want and you have the rig I have the knowledge. You teach me and I will teach you, also I will throw in $ FOR your cost. I have some gear...For striper I like top water action so the lake temp needs to be around 64 degrees
Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Administrator

May have to try that when it warms up. I gotta do some work on my boat this spring, but hope to have it back up and going soon.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Default Walleye Guide

New and improved GA Walleye Fishing Guide coming soon.

Last edited by jim hakala; 02-14-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 AM

Fantastic! I really want to get up there and catch a few.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Bring it!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Default Walleye reports

A little compilation of what is currently going on in several of our North GA walleye reservoirs - good timing given the weekend weather forecast. Thanks Anthony!

If anyone else has a GA walleye report, lets here it.

{quote....
"North GA Walleye - Week 2

Water temperatures rose across north Georgia during this week's warm weather and walleyes are now on the move. As a result, a few walleye have been brought to the boat this week. The details are described below for several north Georgia lakes:

Lake Hartwell - The water temperature at the Walker Creek boat ramp located at the headwaters of Lake Hartwell was 43 degrees on Wednesday afternoon (2/16). My crew collected 23 walleye in 45 minutes of electrofishing and found fish scattered around the Walker Creek boat ramp (N 34 40.102 and W 83 18.977) and points downstream. The greatest concentration of fish occurred at GPS coordinates N 34 40.223 and W 83 18.501. The largest two fish caught were a 28-inch, 10 lb female and a 24-inch, 6 lb female. Walleyes were primarily hugging the bottom close to the centerline of the river channel. I suspect that walleye are scattered from the Walker Creek boat ramp all the way down to the Stephens County Park boat ramp near Highway 123, if not further downstream. If the warm weather holds on for a while, more walleye will migrate into this area. One experienced walleye angler suggested drifting downstream from the Walker Creek boat ramp and bouncing a white jig tipped with a curly tailed grub off the bottom. I might add that trolling a No. 7 Shad Rap in herring or crayfish patterns or dragging nightcrawlers along the bottom are other successful tactics. Bank angling opportunities are available at Walker Creek, the Hwy 184 Bridge (Prather Bridge), the Hwy 123 Bridge and along Stephens County Park. As the water warms, walleye will move all the way up to Yonah Dam where there is additional bank fishing access.

Lake Lanier - On Thursday (2/17), my crew surveyed the headwaters of Lake Lanier on the Chattahoochee River from Lula Bridge to about a mile upstream of Mud Creek. The water temperature was 47 degrees and clear. Three walleye were collected ranging from two to four pounds just upstream of Mud Creek (N34 26.968 and W83 40.726). No fish were observed on sonar all the way downstream to Clarks Bridge. Although it was encouraging to see these early arrivals up the Chattahoochee River, it is still a bit too early to catch walleye up high on Lanier. Anxious walleye anglers may want to target wind-blown rocky banks and points downstream of the Clarks Bridge area.

Lake Rabun - Walleye fishing guide, Wes Carlton, reported that one of his buddies caught three walleye this week during an outing to Lake Rabun. The largest fish was 5 lb. On Tuesday (2/15) the water temperature was 44 degrees. We marked fish near the beach area a short distance upstream from the boat ramp located on the upper end of the lake, but walleye have not moved into shallow water yet.

Lake Yonah & Lake Seed - On Wednesday (2/16), the water temperature was 45 degrees on the upper end of Lake Yonah and 44 degrees on Lake Seed. We did not mark any walleye in deeper water on the upper ends or collect any fish by electrofishing in the shallow headwaters in either lake. It appears that walleye have not moved up on these small lakes. But, when they do, they will stack up in the headwaters below the upstream dam where they are accessible to bank anglers from Georgia Power's day use areas.

Carters Lake - Clark Allen was fishing the upper end of Carters Lake this week and measured water temperatures around 46 degrees. He marked bait suspended at 20 to 30-ft deep over a 40 to 50 ft bottom with fish underneath. These could definitely be walleye and Clark hopes to confirm that next week. I hope he'll let us know what they are biting and how good they tasted! Good luck, Clark.

I hope you can put these tips to good use while this warm weather holds for surely we've not seen the last of winter. Remember, walleye do not bunch up in giant schools like stripers, but they are more scattered in small groups. Success, therefore, will come to the patient and persistent angler. Even though the March winds will certainly blow in more cold weather, walleye will still be in the upper reaches of these lakes despite the changing weather conditions. Just look for them a little further downstream on rocky points, rip rap banks, mudlines and at the mouth of creeks. I would appreciate feedback from anglers.

Anthony Rabern
Senior Fisheries Biologist
Georgia Department of Natural Resources"
.....quote}
Old 02-18-2011, 02:26 PM

I'm enjoying this thread. I've been wanting to get on some walleyes for a long time now....keep the reports, updates, and tips coming
Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Default Walleye Fishing Guide

The updated Georgia walleye fishing informational guide is now available:

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/939?cat=2

(link located at the bottom of the above page)

Enjoy.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 AM

Thanks for for all the info Jim, I will be hitting Rabun next week to see how far along they are, hoping for that majic number of 50 degrees.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Default Thanks Jim...

I will be 'tuning up' for walleye this spring. I enjoy catching yellow perch in the Chattahoochee above and below Morgan Falls Dam. A pearl colored 1/16 oz lead [unpainted] head jig on 4 lb line has worked wonders. I think I may go to the 3/8 oz jig the article mentioned and 'adapt' my yellow perch technique to walleye. 6 or 8 lb line and pretend I'm fishing for really big Yellow Perch~!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Great info Jim ,,
Have you guys ever surveyed down on the re-reg lake seems like there would be some to be had in the spillway down there...
Thanks ,
PJ
Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 AM

Cool news. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned

When they move shallow enough, you want to throw 1/4 and 3/8 oz jig heads with 3 inch twister tails and sassy shads. Jig them slowly back to the boat moving from shallow to deeper water. Try a multitude of colors until you find what's working. Leeches will kill them too.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Default March issue

Perfect timing.....check out this walleye article in the March 2011 issue of GON!

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=2656&cid=158

Be sure to click on the photo to see more walleye photos - including a toothy Carters walleye close-up!

PJ - we have surveyed the rereg pool, but captured no walleye at the time. HOWEVER, people have caught a few in recent years both in and below the rereg pool.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:06 PM

i have heard that large numbers of Walleye run up the river to below the rereg dam this time of year.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Best fresh water eating there is. Bar none. If you haven't tried it you do not know what your missing. (I want some)
Old 02-24-2011, 05:37 PM

Man I've fished Carters 1 time but its too big and too far for me to go and put the time in to learn it. I may have to bite the bullet after gas prices go down (wont hold my breath).

I love catching and eating walleye, that nugget right behind the is it DELLLLICIOUS

Thanks for the report
Old 03-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryzdale View Post
I love catching and eating walleye, that nugget right behind the??? is it DELLLLICIOUS

Thanks for the report
I guessing behind the eye, like the cheek? Or the nugget in the head along the backbone? Both are good eats on most fish.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Default Walleye Spawn Progressing

Another great regional walleye report:

Warm weather persisted for another week and water temperatures in our walleye lakes hovered from 48 to 52 degrees. With stable water temperatures, more walleye migrated upstream this week. For Week 4, the shoals and pools in the headwaters of Lakes Lanier, Carters and Hartwell will be your best bets. I expect to see big numbers of walleye moving into the headwaters of our mountain lakes next week.

Walleye are finicky eaters this time of year with most bites resulting from a reaction strike rather than a predatory strike. Two big tips to improve your success are: (1) fish during low light conditions.....generally, dusk is best or when the water is stained and (2) use light line such as 6 lb test.

There is an excellent walleye fishing video on the web that was filmed on our very own Lake Tugalo. The web address is: http://www.myoutdoorstv.com/fishing/...na-outdoorsman After accessing the website, scroll down the selection of programs on the right side of the screen. Select Post Spawn Walleye. I firmly endorse the techniques described by the walleye fishing guide in this short presentation. The area they are fishing is in the headwaters of Lake Tugalo on the Chattooga River side. They are fishing in a deep pool about 100 yards below the cascading shoal that is known for holding a lot of small walleye; however, these same techniques will work in the shallow headwaters in all of our lakes. If you fish during the day, I suggest backing off into deeper holes and fish with nightcrawlers or curly tail grubs. There is a good program on summer walleye fishing techniques also filmed on Lake Tugalo entitled Trolling for Summertime Walleye.

Lake Lanier - Water temperature is 50 degrees and fish are becoming abundant in the shoals and pools upstream of Mud Creek. We are finding about four or five walleye in every little pool and more in the larger pools. I'm sure walleye can be found as far upstream as you can go in a boat. The bigger females have not moved up yet so the peak is still about two weeks away.

Carters Lake - On Wednesday (3/2), the water temperature was 51 degrees in the headwater shoals and the water color was muddy. Senior fisheries biologist, Jim Hakala, and his crew found large male walleyes ranging from 2 to 5 lbs concentrated primarily in 2 to 5-ft of water along the rocky shoal and he caught a few walleye in slightly deeper water on the rocky points downstream to the Big Island (top photo Fisheries Technician Danny Johnson with two Carters' walleye; second photo Jim with two spawn run male walleye). Jim said the density of walleye was the highest he has ever seen on Carters. Jim did not find any female walleye, which means the bulk of the population has yet to move upstream. Walleye fishing should improve substantially over the next two weeks. Ridgeway Boat Ramp is the closest ramp to these walleye honey holes.

Lake Hartwell - The water temperature was 49 degrees on Tuesday (3/1). Walleye have moved further upstream and are now mostly concentrated upstream of the Walker Creek Boat Ramp, which is located in Toccoa on Yonah Dam Road. From Toccoa, take Prather Bridge Road (Highway 184) out of Toccoa. Hwy 184 will eventually turn right, cross the river and head into South Carolina, but you should travel straight where the road changes names to Yonah Dam Road. The Walker Creek boat ramp is 2.5 miles from this point. My crew collected 8 big females up to 7 lbs a short distance upstream of the boat ramp in depths ranging from 2 to 9-ft deep (Third photo Hartwell walleye). This area is a great place for anglers who fish from kayaks since the river shallows rapidly a few hundred yards upstream of the boat ramp.

Lake Yonah - The water temperature was 49 degrees on Tuesday (3/2) and my crew found our first walleye in the headwaters, a three pound male. The Lake Yonah Boat Ramp is also located on Yonah Dam Road about 2.6 miles north of the Walker Creek boat ramp. Both water bodies can be easily fished on the same day.

Lake Tugalo - Because Lake Tugalo is 9-ft below full pool, access is difficult and there are no bank fishing opportunities. This is another great place for anglers with kayaks, although the paddle can be quite far, but its a scenic trip. From the South Carolina boat ramp, paddle upstream to the cascading shoal on the Chattooga River. Walleye congregate in fairly large numbers in the pool formed by the cascade. This is the area featured in the referenced Post Spawn Walleye video.

Lakes Rabun & Seed - On Wednesday (3/2), the water temperature in both lakes was 48 degrees. Our sampling crew found a few males in the headwaters, but I'm confident that many more are not far behind them. On Lake Rabun, fish are downstream of the Bear Gap Road Bridge during daylight hours. On Lake Seed, daytime walleyes are downstream of the Burton Dam Road bridge. Your best bet is to bounce nightcrawlers along the bottom from the bridge downstream for several hundred yards. From twilight to dark, walleye will move upstream of these bridges to spawn in the shallow shoals. A floating Rapala is a must. Excellent bank fishing opportunities are available at Nacoochee Park located in the headwaters of Lake Rabun. Fishing is best at twilight and through the evening.

Good Fishing!

Anthony Rabern
Senior Fisheries Biologist
Georgia Department of Natural Resources

All walleye pictured were returned to the lake.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2011, 01:49 PM
GONetwork Member

Thanks for the update Jim! Those are some nice fish!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the great info Jim. I saw in the GON article that the state stocks walley in Rocky Mtn. Is this true? The signs at Rocky Mtn dont say anything about size or limit if they are stocked there. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim hakala View Post
Believe it or not, walleye are native to N. Georgia and N. Alabama. In fact they inhabitat a large number of states south of the Mason Dixon Line.

Keep the photos and pointers coming.

Thanks,

Jim
I was surprised to hear about an accomplished fisherman tell me about a 6# walleye that he caught out of the Etowah, especially considering I used to fish that river over 50 times a year and have never caught one.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Default Walleye talk on the radio 3-5-11

On The Bear 92.5FM in south metro Atl. Around 7am Anthony Rabern WRD Senior Fisheries Biologist, Capt. Wes Carlton & I will be talking about the great walleye fishing Georgia has to offer. Thanks guy's in advance.

I look forward to learning about these tastey morsels & hope some of y'all do too. The show can be heard on the stations website, live as well. At 6am we're talking turkey with Marty Fischer aka straightshooter.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Anyone know the best lake in northeast GA to target the walleyes? I live in Athens and Carter's is a long haul from here. Any tips would be appreciated as well.