Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 12-13-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJSDAD View Post
You need to invest in a SPOT or similar locator system.
Way ahead of ya my friend. Its called a wife and a lucrative insurance policy.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:57 AM

Anywhere you have bluebacks you aren't going to have a vibrant reproducing walleye population. Ours in western NC....Glenville and Fontana isn't nearly what it used to be. Now is one of the best times of the year to target them because they are schooled up and eating. The worst thing is there just aren't as many as there once were. We are catching them now from 55 to 110 feet deep, middle of the day sometimes, they are like stripers, if you have a moon they feed at night and then again in the middle of the day. No moon and then its early and late. If you are set up to slow troll that's the easiest way or if it's not windy you can vertical jig them, but as always , finding them is the key so you have to cover water and use your electronics.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:50 AM

Delicious.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashvaluerecovery View Post
I will be on Burton tomorrow before sunrise and will update here if folks are interested. Nothing like being out of cell phone range, alone, in the pitch dark in below freezing temperatures in a kayak.
Burton has some of the best cell reception in Rabun county, that funky looking "tree" you see at mid-lake is a cell tower.

Rabun and Seed are a different story, terrible cell phone reception.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:11 AM

Belton Bridge to Lula Bridge
Old 12-14-2014, 07:01 PM

[quote=NE GA Pappy;9142845]http://www.georgiawildlife.org/sites...D_02.18.11.pdf

[quote]Simply drifting nightcrawlers slowly along the bottom
through the staging areas is the best way to catch pre-spawn walleye.

That is essentially how we caught them in lake erie. All you need is a pole, a hook, a spit shot and a nightcrawler. Hook the night crawler through the band, toss it over board. When it hits the bottom reel it up 2-3 times and wait. When you get a bite, open up the bail for a minute, allowing the walleye to take the bait without resistance. Start reeling slowly until the line is taught. If it's still on the line set the hook and reel it in. We almost always limited out, 6 per person back then. The best eating freshwater fish you'll find.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:58 PM

Caught 18 spots. No walleye or perch. Will post some pictures tomorrow. These spots were studs. Biggest weighed 6lb 2oz on my little digital hand held. 2 more just over 5lbs and several 3-4lbs. Most bit a 1/4oz spoon on points.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klag View Post
Hi Cliff

I took my kayak to Seed 2 weeks ago, only got bass. Went to Tugalo on Monday and only got yellow perch. I'd love to figure out the walleye game myself. Tugalo and Yonah are the lakes to hit it seems.
I would be very happy to catch a bunch of 12-14 in. yellow perch. They are as good eating as walleye. I have caught a few yellow perch in Rum creek res. many years ago when I fished out of my duck boat. Green jigs with yellow tail feathers.

On Lanier, I have caught some accidentally in 25-30 of water and around snags, brush about the same. Walleye do feed on perch, and I keep thinking they should be in the same vicinity.

I have also heard there is a small run of walleye up to the headwaters of Baldridge Cr.. Might be interesting. It is just a long haul to the north GA lakes from down here. I am going to try the Chestatee and the Hootch this spring. It looks like there should be a run up Wahoo Cr. or Little River as well.

What do you think?
DF
Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
I would be very happy to catch a bunch of 12-14 in. yellow perch. They are as good eating as walleye. I have caught a few yellow perch in Rum creek res. many years ago when I fished out of my duck boat. Green jigs with yellow tail feathers.

On Lanier, I have caught some accidentally in 25-30 of water and around snags, brush about the same. Walleye do feed on perch, and I keep thinking they should be in the same vicinity.

I have also heard there is a small run of walleye up to the headwaters of Baldridge Cr.. Might be interesting. It is just a long haul to the north GA lakes from down here. I am going to try the Chestatee and the Hootch this spring. It looks like there should be a run up Wahoo Cr. or Little River as well.

What do you think?
DF
I'd stick to the Hooch run!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:40 AM

Dragonfly, as I said in another post, I have a friend who caught several walleyes from the Chestatee over the course of this last spring, so you should be good there and in the Hooch. I couldn't say about smaller creeks.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:09 AM

The hooch run sees the most fish by far. But its a very long run and to get to the right spots you need a jet boat. Kayaks work but be prepared to get it out of the water and pull it at times when its to fast/ too shallow. The nearest put in to float down requires at least a 2 person party to park one car down stream and one car upstream to drop off but you best be prepared to get wet. You will be getting out a few times to go over shoals your kayak isnt going over. There is a lot of distance between places to put in and the fish. You can walk to the chestatee fish.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:31 AM

The ones I've caught have been on herring, 2 ft off bottom. Usually 25 to 35 ft of water. Late evening or early morning. Always in blowdowns.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Default .

My dad was no doubt the best Walleye fisherman in western PA in his day. Not all days are good for Walleyes, they
Like low light days, or wind to chop the water. Live minnows or night crawlers fishing on the bottom in moving water.

If I were to go after them my first attempt would be in the fall, where the Coosawattee empties into Carterís lake.
Iíd go up the river a little ways it find a deep hole with moving water, and as he would say if youíre not loosing
Hooks youíre not doing something right.

This one was over 30 inches long,
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2014, 04:17 PM

Well I'm glad to here somebody else loses hooks! I was going to mention earlier when I fish for them I get hung a lot more than I catch but that where they seem to be.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree cutter 08 View Post
Well I'm glad to here somebody else loses hooks! I was going to mention earlier when I fish for them I get hung a lot more than I catch but that where they seem to be.
Your technique will work off deep points, river channels, suspended in the middle of nowhere, rock cliffs, and even shallow clay banks free lining. All spots you can keep from getting hung up. Herring is a key though. We put walleye in lakes because they had herring introduced illegally to help keep them under control. They certainly prefer it.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:30 PM

I found this very interesting. Someone developing a bait and specifically targeting walleye in Georgia, and doing a great job of it, looks like. I sure would love to meet this feller and chew the fat with him.

http://www.wormrigs.com/2015-round-up.html
Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 PM

They need to stock brown trout or walleye into Blue Ridge Lake to eat the herring.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampern View Post
They need to stock brown trout or walleye into Blue Ridge Lake to eat the herring.
Stock it full to the brim with smallmouth bass
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 PM
Banned

If you are fishing a deep lake with nearly vertical banks I like to fish them two ways. I look for two things. I will troll along the bank close so I can see any humps or logs in the water so I can see the average height of the structure. Then I look for corners or bends in the banks (and bottom) that are near 90 degrees. These need to be decent sized variation in the bank. Walleye are sheep and they cruise around looking for food. The will not go over trees but they will go around them. I like to use slip bobber rigs and set them to the depth midway on the structure. Once you find the depth they are cruising at you can work the bank. I also look for a corner because once again walleye are sheep and they can be corralled at the depth you find them at. Also at night you can find a vertical wall and anchor 35 yards from it. Blast your lights in the wall until baitfish show up. Cast a bass spinner (gold willow blade) really really hard against the wall and let it fall into the water. Keep your bail open and let the spinner fall naturally. Watch your line to see if you get s hit. Normally right when it falls below the light in the water. I did this in a state where that was legal. Never tried the lights in GA yet.

Last edited by Yotes; 01-14-2015 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Edits
Old 01-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Yotes, thanks for that advice. I have been thinking more and more that I need to try getting way into the blowdowns on Yonah, because there are a lot of them and they seem to be the most abundant source of cover in that lake. With the banks so steep they often fall right down into deep water. It's a funny coincidence that you mention fishing the corners, because just this morning I was re-reading Al Lindner's book "Walleye Wisdom" and the section I was reading talked about how important it is to fish corners in certain situations. Very timely commentary!

So do you do all your walleye fishing at night? Thanks again for contributing to the discussion! I haven't been out for walleyes since the last trip I wrote about here. I will definitely be going again soon, but getting to go at night is difficult.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Banned

I walleye fish when I can. Night or day any time of the year. But it doesn't happen a whole lot anymore. Mid-day is tough unless you can find murky water with baitfish in it.

Water temp in the south is another factor. Any creek flowing in constantly is a walleye rest area. Mainly river walleye.

But I do not know everything so this works for me in KY,WV,OH,WI,MI,MN.

My best advice would be to move every 20 minutes until you find fish.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Default How about a Walleye Round-Up?

Hello I am new to the Forum.

I am an Avid Walleye Angler and have been chasing Walleye for over 40 years.

I have had a lot of success in both GA and SC waters in the last 4 years as the "Stocked" Walleye populations grow.

I use WORMRigs aka night crawler harnesses coupled with either Trolling Weights aka Bottom Bouncers or Dipsy & Jet Divers for catching Walleye.

I am trying to launch the 1st Annual Walleye RoundUp in 2015 including both Georgia & South Carolina Lakes.

Currently I am looking for Sponsors as well as Anglers interested in pre-registering and/or donating services for the event. As well as gathering feedback and interest.

The Round-Up is structures to educate and share knowledge about the Walleye fishing opportunities and techniques for both Georgia and South Carolina waters.

If anyone is interested please contact me.

Attached is an average size Walleye from 2014.

http://www.wormrigs.com/2015-round-up.html
Old 01-15-2015, 05:37 PM

Do walleye school? If vertical jigging, or just locating walleye in general, will you find them in small groups of 1-3 fish or large 10+ fish schools?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Banned

Yes. And depends on location. I personally think points are for the birds. Corners or suspended walleyes beneath bait (during all hours) you will find fish. Also jig the whole water column. You probably do that but I have had good luck jigging for a two minutes then reeling up a reel. Then repeating until I get where I can see my jig. Another thing is that walleye hit on the falling bait more so the the rising bait. So control your fall by keeping a small bit of tension on your line. Or use fluorocarbon it also helps you pull jigs out of rocks and logs.
I hope this helps and I am not sounding like a know it all. These are just things that I have caught walleye doing.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:43 AM

I found that the Walleye in the South DO NOT School ... if they do they stay together only for the first year or two after a stocking ... almost 100-200 yards from where they are stocked. They are only 12 - 16 inches and you can vertical jig for them. I believe that there is just not enough space for Walleye to School in the Tullulah Basin Lakes ... Maybe in Hartwell and Russell ... but I have never seen it ... The Jumbo Perch do though ... and that's what the Walleye are eating ... not herring .. the BIG ones are Lone Wolves ... they leave the pack and hunt on their own. You might see two or three marks on your graph together that are mature Walleye but for the most part schooling is a big lake Walleye pattern. I look for small packs of Walleye not Schools when scouting.