Bow bar for chain saw

Wire Nut

Anybody ever use one? I saw this odd looking thing hooked to a chain saw in my boss's barn and had to ask an older fella at church tonight to find out what it was. It looks like a death trap.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I used one for years. As long as they were used for their intended purpose, you could go through a lot of wood with one. If used the wrong way, they were right dangerous.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I've still got one!! Makes quick work of a long, fat log...and I get to stand up straight :cool:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Y'all must be talkin about something else??? :huh:

Got a pic???

Wire Nut

I don't know how to load a pic off of another web site. I was told it was used for big logs that would pinch a regular bar. It's a hoop that the chain rides on. If the kerf starts pinching back together it just hits it's self inside the hoop and the saw keeps cutting. I think we're talking about the same thing.

Never used one, but seen a guy lay a big oak log into firewood size chunks in no time flat a few years back.

maker4life

My brother in law nearly cut his on head off with one several years ago . It's a miracle he's alive today and he still has the scar across his juglar to prove it .

nkbigdog

I used a bow for years, use a huskey for laying down tree the bow for cutting logs once down. Your right about your back don't have to bend over much. I have also seen one guy where it kicked back due to not locking at the base of the bow. Darn near took off his arm hanging by skin only.

CAL

The bow blade was much easier to cut with to me.Never had a problem with the ones I had.Wish they were still available today.

Most any kind of power tool is dangerous if one doesn't know how to use it.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
My Father had a POULAN K Bow Blade model that was an early 60's vintage. He always cut the winter firewood back in that time era. The bow-blade that he had turned out to be real dangerous. He was cutting a tree up when the chain got caught on a big vine wrap-around. The saw kicked back up and actually cut a place a couple of inches long on the back of his neck and he was bleeding like crazy. He was as white as a ghost. He laid the saw down and quickly grabbed his hankerchief and told me that a briar had cut him instead. It was a nasty cut and I realized later if it had cut any deeper, I'm sure that it would have killed him right there in the woods. We were way back in the woods and I had to drive him a few miles back home. This was before I knew how to drive too. He told me what to do and when to push in the clutch and shift gears etc. I got him home and mother cleaned the wound and bandaged it up. He needed stitches but he was stubborn enough not to go to the doctor and get them though. He NEVER used that saw again. He always paid someone to cut the firewood after that. I still have this 60's vintage saw still today.

In fact, yesterday morning I got my Poulan straight bar and my bush-axes out of the storage shed and went up to my property and continued to cut/clear out around the property line. I saw the old vintage model on the shelf back in the back and it has always reminded me to be extra careful with chainsaws. I cut for a few hours yesterday, and thankfully I made it home safely with only a few minor scratches from briars etc. The reality is that you don't get too many second chances with a chainsaw cutting you.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
The bow blade was much easier to cut with to me.Never had a problem with the ones I had.Wish they were still available today.

Most any kind of power tool is dangerous if one doesn't know how to use it.

That's all we ever used surveying cutting "true lines" cut MANY a load of fire wood with them too, sure would save your back. They do demand respect, never a incident here, wished I still had one.

Nugefan

still got 1 I use once the tree is on the ground ....:cool:

an oldie but a good un' ....

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Most accidents occured after the removal of the crows foot... Wish I still had mine too...EVERY chain saw deserves respect..Unfortunately, many folks idea of cutting wood involves a case of beer too. Morons...

BBQBOSS

Banned
Most accidents occured after the removal of the crows foot... Wish I still had mine too...EVERY chain saw deserves respect..Unfortunately, many folks idea of cutting wood involves a case of beer too. Morons...

It doesn't? :O

Todd_GA_CO_09

When I was in middle school, my former social studies teacher almost cut his head off using a bow saw. His hat saved his face and helped prevent the injury from being alot more serious than what it was. I want forget that. It was bad.

Pittard

I find that carrying a case of beer in the woods while lugging a heavy say is much to cumbersome. I've found that if you just stick a pint of Jack in your back pocket you can keep both hands free for chainsaw and gas ::gone:

I've still got a bow saw. Not sure if it runs and it's heavier than all-get-out.

threeleggedpigmy

Mod
Staff member
I have a vintage homelite at the house. I got it because it looks cool. :cool: