How far

TJB

I'll give a wide birth to a boat fishing but today a Florida boat looked commercial with several people on board on the N end of the Georgia jetties was about 60 yards from the jetties in the channel. I had been slow moving along next to the jetties with the intention of going to the North side when I hear yelling and whistling. The captain wanted me to go out and around him. I did but I wasn't happy that a guy was claiming 60 yards of water between him and the jetties. He could not have thrown to the jetties if he threw twice and the currant was taking his bait behind his boat out to sea. Was I wrong in thinking this guy is claiming to much water.

ssramage

If I were fishing toward a bank, and someone came through the area I was fishing...I would be a little ticked off too. Hate to say it, but I think he had a right to get mad and you did the right thing in going around him.

Yeah 60yds is a long way to cast, but 40 isn't...which means you likely would have went right over the fish he was casting to.

jfish

I have done same thing he has done and I prob would have said same thing. What most don't realize the jetties are a pyramid shape. They go further out than most give credit for. So chances are you would have went over his fish spot.

TJB

I do appreciate your thoughts on this matter but i've been fishing the jetties sense the 70's and to be that far away and claim that kind of water is a little extreme for what I've experienced from others. The jetties is not the open ocean where there is more room. Still I'd appreciate other opinions and if the masses believe the guy was right and I'm wrong I'll accept it.

BBaker

No one can tell you whether you were wrong or right. One persons estimated 60 yards is really 30 yards and another's is really 100 yards. Most people are completely inconsiderate on the water. It would be nice if people, when in doubt, would error on the side of caution when encroaching on others fishing.