How to bait for deer?

j_seph

Since we in the Northern Zone aren't allowed to hunt over bait how can we? I mean how can we do it and not get caught? Having some bait out would be a good way to get those big boys to come out of those thickets. I mean there are trails going in and out of em but so hard to walk in there. Seems it is gonna take rut (have to wait longer) or some bait to get em to step out. What y'all got?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Call in a false report of a pot grow in the next county.:hammers::bounce:::ke::love:

awoods

Maybe add some c'mere deer powder on top. Kidding aside, if you ask folks that kill big deer consistently, baiting isn't a tactic they use. Big bucks are smarter than that. Time in the woods, deer sign, trail cams, using wind direction / thermals, hunting stands only when conditions are right, not over hunting an area...those are the best tactics to kill big deer. If you know where they are coming in and out, you are in the right place...they have to stretch those legs at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_2573.JPG
    IMG_2573.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 1,865

swamp hunter

Get some Standers and Drivers and walk thru that thick area near the end of Season...

Awoods..I got about 900 hundred Trail Cam pictures of a Boar hog eating a pile like that I put out.
Entire thing was gone in 2 nights...even that big block.
I quit after that.

PappyHoel

You can hunt over corn in the northern counties. You don't even need to be overt about it. Just one catch, youre hunting hogs.

shdw633

I've never killed a big deer over bait, and have seen very few near it.

Killed a 140 inch 10 point year before last with his head stuck right in the middle of a big pile of corn. Buddy of mine killed a nice 130 inch 8 point eating in a pile. You hunt the piles when the rut is winding down and you can get a big boy on a pile. Truth is we have killed several large bucks with their heads stuck in corn piles.

Before the rules changes and the law stated 200 yards and out of site (at least it was and still think it is that for the north), we always had a food plot that was 200 yards long and placed our bait stations just beyond that and to the left or right about 20 yards to the sides. We weren't hunting over the stations and could not see them as they were out of sight due to the woods, the idea was that if they visited the station they would hit the food plot along the way or right after visiting it.

awoods

Get some Standers and Drivers and walk thru that thick area near the end of Season...

Awoods..I got about 900 hundred Trail Cam pictures of a Boar hog eating a pile like that I put out.
I quit after that.

Yep...I have had similar experiences with hogs...I don't have any use for them. Especially when they get into food plots.

BowanaLee

Since we in the Northern Zone aren't allowed to hunt over bait how can we? I mean how can we do it and not get caught ? Having some bait out would be a good way to get those big boys to come out of those thickets. I mean there are trails going in and out of em but so hard to walk in there. Seems it is gonna take rut (have to wait longer) or some bait to get em to step out. What y'all got?
Do it legally and you don't have to worry about it. Set it up in a spot over 200 yds away where they have to pass through a funnel to get to it or something similar. It'll take some imagination but it can be done in the right spot.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Do it legally and you don't have to worry about it. Set it up in a spot over 200 yds away where they have to pass through a funnel to get to it or something similar. It'll take some imagination but it can be done in the right spot.

Like fenced in back yards running to u down a drain.

j_seph

I've never killed a big deer over bait, and have seen very few near it.
So I need to place it say 50 yards from outer edge of thicket then so that they will come out of thicket to eat? I see what you are saying, when he steps out of edge then shoot him. I need to go today then and rotate my ladder so I will be staring straight on at the trail. Afraid with it being to left side he'd sneak out and already be in middle of corn pile before I could get gun up. Thanks for tip

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Ya gotta be neaky

Hunt at night.
Especially around a full moon. I don't think game wardens aren't out much in the middle of the night.
You'll need good ears and a bright light. And a good bottle of something to keep you warm...
:rofl:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten

I quit after that.

Dig a 4' deep hole with a posthole digger and fill it up with corn and both deer and hogs will hit it all year since they can not get to the bottom.

gt40

PS: OH, I forgot to say SHUSH.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you are going to hunt at night use a red light like the one in the picture not the new high intensity lights they sell today. The old red lights do nor spook deer or hogs because they don't see the red even at 5 yards and you can see more than 150 yards with it. The other one can spook them at more than 100 yards if you hit them in the eyes. Ask me how I know.

gt40

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,547
  • P2140002.JPG
    P2140002.JPG
    368.4 KB · Views: 1,552

j_seph

If you are going to hunt at night use a red light like the one in the picture not the new high intensity lights they sell today. The old red lights do nor spook deer or hogs because they don't see the red even at 5 yards and you can see more than 150 yards with it. The other one can spook them at more than 100 yards if you hit them in the eyes. Ask me how I know.

gt40
Is this the same light you mentioned? They must have made some changes to it or made a new model.

Attachments

• P2140002.jpg
    P2140002.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,491