4 Fletch?

10 Ringer

Anyone running a 4 fletch? Pictures? Was thinking about maybe doing four blazer vanes on hunting arrows, or maybe four 3 inch x vanes( just worried about the weight).

Ihunt

It looks cool but isn't really needed. I don't have pics. I went back to 3 fletch. If you're worried about weight, try feathers.

Kris87

I think there's plenty of stabilization from 3 high profile vanes with a lot of helical....ie blazers or an aae max hunter vane. I know Dudley likes the 4 fletch, but I don't think its needed either. Give 'em a lot of helical, and they spin like crazy.

GregoryB.

I shot some 4 fletch I made up right next to my 3 fletch and didn't notice any difference. I use a blazers with a hard helical twist. One of the TV Bowhunters claims that they stabilize better in a stiff cross wind.

Cole Henry

I think there's plenty of stabilization from 3 high profile vanes with a lot of helical....ie blazers or an aae max hunter vane. I know Dudley likes the 4 fletch, but I don't think its needed either. Give 'em a lot of helical, and they spin like crazy.

Kris how much does a lot of helical slow down an arrow? And by a lot are you talking 3 degree?

Kris87

Kris how much does a lot of helical slow down an arrow? And by a lot are you talking 3 degree?

Yeah, that's what I shoot for, and what most jigs are capable of.

And it slows them down way more than you think. At 20 yards, a fletched shaft is somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20fps slower than the same weight bareshaft. Its one of the reasons you see field archers and some 3D shooters using lower profile vanes without as much helical. Not nearly as critical to get them spinning to stabilize the front since there's no broadhead.