Best Deer Scent Cover

red neck richie

I like to use green pine needles and pine cones. I put them in with my clothes in a back pack. NCHB is correct if you are down wind they will bust you no matter what you use. But cover scents may confuse them for a split second just long enough to get the shot. That's why I use them. They sometimes buy a little time.

snookdoctor

After over 30 years of deer hunting, I can say with confidence that nothing will cover your scent. Deer can differentiate individual odors from among a mixture of scents. If a deer is downwind of you, it will smell you, regardless of what cover scent you use. Tests with dogs have proven it, and a deer has a better nose than a dog.

Some folks either don't understand, or can't comprehend, the concept of scent discrimination in the olfactory systems of some critters.

Maybe they should think of it this way.
Your buddy went to taco bell last night, after leaving the bar after a beer drinking contest. This morning, he beat you to the bathroom, and dropped a world record #2, then sprayed some of that floral bathroom spray to cover the scent.

You walk in the bathroom a couple minutes later........

Or, when your heavily perfumed date rips a big, silent toot.

You know what you are smelling.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some folks either don't understand, or can't comprehend, the concept of scent discrimination in the olfactory systems of some critters.

Maybe they should think of it this way.
Your buddy went to taco bell last night, after leaving the bar after a beer drinking contest. This morning, he beat you to the bathroom, and dropped a world record #2, then sprayed some of that floral bathroom spray to cover the scent.

You walk in the bathroom a couple minutes later........

Or, when your heavily perfumed date rips a big, silent toot.

You know what you are smelling.

Yes, exactly. Some folks can't understand, or comprehend, that deer can sort out hundreds of different odors at once. If you have on cover scent, and a deer walks downwind from you, it will smell a mixture of cover scent and human. Exactly like you mention with the poop and floral scent. It doesn't cover it, it just makes it worse, and you still know what it is. You cannot keep a deer from smelling you if it is downwind of you. period. Cover scents are a gimmick to make money.

T-N-T

I just spray me some brute on every morning and head to the woods.
Deer are curious animals and will investigate unknown things in their habitat

ohdotell

Yes, exactly. Some folks can't understand, or comprehend, that deer can sort out hundreds of different odors at once. If you have on cover scent, and a deer walks downwind from you, it will smell a mixture of cover scent and human. Exactly like you mention with the poop and floral scent. It doesn't cover it, it just makes it worse, and you still know what it is. You cannot keep a deer from smelling you if it is downwind of you. period. Cover scents are a gimmick to make money.

I know people that has hunted longer than 30 years. That does not make them a good hunter like age has nothing to do with wisdom. Having said that, I have hunted longer than 30 years and have killed big animals throughout the country. Cover scents do work and proven by many. Maybe it’s you?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know people that has hunted longer than 30 years. That does not make them a good hunter like age has nothing to do with wisdom. Having said that, I have hunted longer than 30 years and have killed big animals throughout the country. Cover scents do work and proven by many. Maybe it’s you?

Maybe, but I have tried them and gave them an honest try too, and can tell absolutely no difference in seeing or killing deer. Scientific experiments with dogs, which cannot even smell as good as deer, have proven also that they do not work. People using cover scents were busted the same as the ones not using them, time and time again. No questions or guesses. Just facts. If a deer is downwind of you, it will smell you, regardless of your cover scent. A dog sure can. I'll go with the scientific experiments and my own experience, and we will agree to disagree. They are not a thing that you need to kill deer. Nor will they help you do so, except for maybe the positive confidence factor.

snookdoctor

Who needs cover scents anyway when you can put on a hecs suit and walk up and grab a deer.:fine:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Who needs cover scents anyway when you can put on a hecs suit and walk up and grab a deer.:fine:

Exactly. I put mine on and walk up to them all the time. I smack the far out of the littluns, and cut the bigguns throats with my pocket knife. :bounce:

3ringer

I used skunk sent once. Had two different deer stop in their tracks and walk the other way. Things not to do before hunting , fuel up your truck or stop at Waffle House . Your camo will smell like waffles and hash browns.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I used skunk sent once. Had two different deer stop in their tracks and walk the other way. Things not to do before hunting , fuel up your truck or stop at Waffle House . Your camo will smell like waffles and hash browns.

Which will not make a durn bit of difference. Deer aren't a bit scared of waffles and hash browns. They actually would probably come up and eat them if you piled them on the ground. Waffles and hash browns aren't deer predators. Deer are scared of human scent, not human breakfast. If they can smell waffles on your camo, they can smell you too, and you need to pay attention to the wind.

B. White

I prefer not to pay for a cover scent when I can produce my own for less. Maybe I should have this in the homebrew section, but my current K cup cost from amazon is approx. 30 cents per cup. I try to drink at least two before I go in the woods. By about 0900 I am ready to produce and distribute it evenly around my stand. Results have been excellent.

southernman13

Bottom line is u gotta breathe. Whether you have good
Breathe or bad breathe you have breathe that smells. Like stated Deer can sort out different aromas no matter what they smell

3ringer

I thought the scent line was less than 10 feet. If you are above 10 feet in a tree , they can't smell you anyway. Is this true