Free Gun Laws and Self-Defense presentation

GunnSmokeer

** EDITED Oct. 2017 with new date ****

Dan 4010 (another long time member here) and I are giving a FREE public seminar / presentation on Georgia weapons laws and self-defense and situational awareness. Basically, the theme is all about what you need to know to protect yourself from harm, legally, in the event of something bad going down in an urban/ suburban environment.

These lectures are scheduled to be hosted by BASS PRO SHOPS in Lawrenceville, I-85 at Sugarloaf Parkway near Duluth Hwy (State Route 120).

This coming Thursday evening, 7 - 9 p.m.

We will discuss the evolution of Georgia's weapons laws over the last several years, and finish by giving a bullet-point summary of the newest changes that took effect in July of 2017.

*** THURSDAY. 10/12/2017 ***

Anybody who has a general interest in firearms carry or transportation is encouraged to attend. This isn't "just" for people with a Georgia Weapons Carry License. Anybody who travels with a gun in your vehicle ought to know about this state's gun laws, and the special laws involving deadly force in defense of a "habitation" (which includes a vehicle).

We hope to see some of y'all from the GON forum there.

(P.S. If you read the GON magazine itself, Dan and I had a 4-page article in the JULY 2014 issue, talking about the changes to Georgia's gun laws that came with House Bill 60, the "Safe Carry Protection Act". Some of that information will be in these Bass Pro lectures, too.

Last edited:

GunnSmokeer

Bump, and editing the OP for the new dates.

April 9 and again the following Saturday, April 16th.

This coming weekend, and next.

Pick whichever day suits your schedule better. Each day has the same material.

One hour about gun laws, carry licenses, and self-defense (use of deadly force) laws.

One hour about situational awareness and making a plan for how to spot trouble and deal with it, out on the street (not just at home or on your own property, but as you travel to and from work, shopping, etc.)

GunnSmokeer

Bump, a year and a half later!

We're doing this again, this week, THURSDAY night.
10/12/17.
7 pm to 9 pm (closing).
Bass Pro Shops, Discover Mills at Sugarloaf, off I-85.

It's FREE. No registration required. Show up. Bring your spouse, a co-worker, a neighbor, or your teenage or adult kids!

GunnSmokeer

not often

Not very often. We both live and work 30 miles north of ATL, and the drive to the southside is a real ordeal with traffic.

We have done it a time or two.

About a year ago I spoke at the South Metro chapter of GCO, in Fayetteville.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Thanks, GunnSmokeer, for the awesome 2 in 1 presentation that you and Dan put on. Impressive public service for no pay. Your hearts are in it.
I would suggest this seminar for anyone who wants to stay safe in today's volatile world, even if they don't carry a firearm in public, but especially if they do or even keep a weapon in their vehicle. It explains a lot about what to keep an eye out for and how to plan for contingencies, what to do after an incident, and the laws regarding such.
Very interesting and enlightening!
Thanks again, and I hope to talk to you soon.
I'll be bringing my wife to Dan's home gun range in Johns Creek for instruction for the both of us in a few weeks (after the rut). Maybe we could shoot'em up together sometime...����
Two thumbs up!

GunnSmokeer

Thanks 1 eye fishing !

We always have a good time presenting useful info to folks at presentations like these.

I've suggested to Dan and Bass Pro that we do another one in early December. I'll let y'all know here at G.O.N. forum when we get a firm date and time.

GunnSmokeer

One thing Dan talks about in his "situational awareness" lecture is the OODA loop for decision-making.

One way that I use that in everyday life is when I'm driving, fast, with nobody in front of me, and I'm approaching a traffic light that is still green, but has been green for a while and I suspect it may soon change.

Instead of just "paying attention" to the light, I consider my speed and the road conditions and predict what my stopping distance would be. Then I visually estimate what that distance in front of the intersection looks like.
Is there a road sign, tree, or other landmark near that "minimum stopping distance" from the intersection?

If so, I say to myself "If the light changes to yellow BEFORE I get to that point, I'm stopping. No need to think about it; I know that stopping is the right thing to do."

And I say to myself, "If I get to that point in the road while the light is still green, I'm committed to going through the intersection, even if it changes just after I pass that landmark."

Of course I still have to keep observing and be open to the possibility of re-evaluating, if I made a mistake in my estimations, or if the light malfunctions and goes from green to yellow to red in just a second... but the key is that I've at least eliminated the first opportunity for confusion and indecision.