If you score with one of those "Interesting" calibers

GAHUNTER60

As we sit here on the eve of opening day, firearms season, I thought it would be fun to hear about the successes, or failures, of those scoring with wonderfully old and unusual calibers this season.

I know that this is a shooting forum and not a hunting forum, but this would be more about the firearm, caliber, and performance of the two than it would be about the animal taken.

I'm hopeful that I will be able to post a picture of a nice buck I've got "bracketed" when I shoot him with my .358 Winnie. If I don't, it won't be for lack of trying.

bullgator

Good luck and I hope to see your success posted.

GAHUNTER60

Well, I drew a big fat "zero." I did manage to get a glimpse of the buck I'm hunting, but he came through an area too fast and too thick. My .358 may be reputed to be a "brush buster," but I am not going to take low percentage shot (I've gained some measure of wisdom with my advanced age)

About the rest of you?

wareagle700

All I have seen is huge golden orb spiders and squirrels. Maybe my 1959 Model 70 in 30-06 isn't interesting enough. Guess its time for a new rifle!

GAHUNTER60

It's interesting to most folks, especially those who appreciate a fine vintage Winchester rifles like a Model 70 from the 1950s.

The interesting caliber thread was simply started for those who hunt with oddball calibers that are old, obsolete, or rarely encountered. But like I said, "interesting is in the eye of the beholder."

BTW, it's always time for a new rifle!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not really oddball, but not too common- but I killed a buck last weekend in SC with my 7.62x39 AR. 123 grain Hornady SST, about 50 yards. He took about two jumps, stopped, wobbled, and fell over dead. I'm sold on it for a woods gun, that's #5 with it, I think.

gregj

My 300 savage"scored" on opening morning on a young doe. Wasn't anything big but, at least i have some meat in the freezer and gives me and excuse to go back and try for a Buck.

aabradley82

Nothing this year yet. Last year the 9.3 stopped a very dangerous animal(skunk) and a big bodied 8. Hardest I've ever seen a deer hit. Didn't drop, didn't stagger. Knocked completely around in the air. Very little meat damage even though both shoulders were broke.

aabradley82

I let the 9.3x57 bellow a little bit ago. It hammers coyotes as hard as deer and skunks. Now if ol mossyback will come check these does out

GunnSmokeer

.43 Spanish

I once had about 60 rounds of black powder .43 Spanish cartridges.
This was a pretty popular round in the 1870’s to about 1910 or so.

I’d love to take a rifle in this caliber out for a deer hunt.
200 yard max range...assuming good groups from the gun.

Attachments

• A012A23F-9D5E-4162-84C3-DF6E22D89281.jpg
    A012A23F-9D5E-4162-84C3-DF6E22D89281.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 802

GunnSmokeer

P.s.

P.S. the .43 Spanish BP load features a 370 grain bullet at 1350 ft/ s. velocity.
That’s the same ballpark as a .44 magnum heavy load, fired from a rifle or carbine.

GAHUNTER60

Got any pictures? Love the 9.3 x62. We've got a CZ that is a real tack driver. My youngest son has shot several deer with it, and all were DRT!

aabradley82

Gahunter60, I'm not smart enough to post pictures. I almost went with the cz but heard that the scope can't be mounted as low. W

GAHUNTER60

The only problem I find with the 9.3 (any 9.3 -- 57, 62, 64 or 74), is the cost of factory ammo. Even S&B 9.3x62 is approaching 50 bucks a box. Fortunately for us, we hand load and are able to get the price down quite a bit. My son has been using 285-grain Norma Alaskan bullets and Graf and Sons brass (made by Privi Partizan). That bullet is pretty soft, but carries enough weight at low enough velocity that complete pass through shots are normal.

However, if we so desired, we could just order Privi Partizan Factory ammo for very close to the same amount as what it takes produce a box of hand loads. The PP stuff is loaded with the same bullet we currently hand load (285-grain Norma Alaskan) and Midway currently has them for 28 bucks and change. Other online ammo sellers (like Selway Armory) have them for less than $22 per box.

That's a good deal on very good 9.3 deer load.

aabradley82

I'm using the the s&B and next factory privi to get brass for the 62. I bought 2 boxes of 232 Vulcan for $25 a box for the x57 because it was cheaper than buying brass. Have y'all played with the 250gr bullets yet? I wish someone would make a cheap pointy bullet around 250. I've got a box of speers but they're only pointy when compared to the privies. Also needs to be a little soft, I'm afraid deer aren't tough enough to make the stouter bullets open correctly

weagle

Shot a spike this morning with my 9x57 mauser. The 50+ year old 245gr Kynoch ammo got the job done.

ppj1nbA.jpg