It's 1980 something....

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I do too. But I could not even keep it back then. After about 4 speeding tickets, losing my license and insurance rate through the ceiling, I had to sell it.

State took my licence from me for 6 months too. That wasn`t the bad part. Bad part was I had to have high risk insurance for 3 years after I got em back. It might not sound like much now but paying $1,200 a year for 3 years for car insurance was a lot of money in 1974. That stung hard.

sinclair1

State took my licence from me for 6 months too. That wasn`t the bad part. Bad part was I had to have high risk insurance for 3 years after I got em back. It might not sound like much now but paying $1,200 a year for 3 years for car insurance was a lot of money in 1974. That stung hard.

Serious question. How did you guys get caught in the days before radar was standard. So many had a bunch of tickets back then. Did the cops just get to guess the speed and make it stick?

Was this before the radar detector era? Did they not give the 10mph or were you guys just buck wild.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Serious question. How did you guys get caught in the days before radar was standard. So many had a bunch of tickets back then. Did the cops just get to guess the speed and make it stick?

Was this before the radar detector era? Did they not give the 10mph or were you guys just buck wild.

I really don`t know, Sinclair. I don`t remember if they had radar back then or not? I found out later that if I had gone to court and paid the fine for last ticket that the city of Albany would have taken my license for 30 days and I could have gotten a permit to drive back and forth to work. I posted bond for the ticket instead and 2 months later I got a certified letter stating that I would send my license in the state. They kept it for 6 months and I could not get a permit to drive to and from work. :rolleyes:

sinclair1

I really don`t know, Sinclair. I don`t remember if they had radar back then or not? I found out later that if I had gone to court and paid the fine for last ticket that the city of Albany would have taken my license for 30 days and I could have gotten a permit to drive back and forth to work. I posted bond for the ticket instead and 2 months later I got a certified letter stating that I would send my license in the state. They kept it for 6 months and I could not get a permit to drive to and from work. :rolleyes:
Got ya, just wondering how it worked back then. I was driving before every police car had radar.

I remember the first time they started using helicopters to time cars down your way to get folks going on vacation to Florida. Almost everyone got one that year.

My mom got a ticket for 112mph in a 73 Lincoln that she said drove so smooth she didn't even realize.:cheers: it was a family secret that she don't know my dad told me. He had to go get her out of jail.

rospaw

Lost mine for 3 tickets until i turned 18. I was 17 and 8 months old. 4 months was FOREVER it seemed like! Had a landscape/lawn maint. company and had to have a helper drive my truck/trailer and get a buddy to drive me to school. I wouldn't ride in no stinken bus! :bounce:

NOYDB

BANNED
Y'all remember Driver's ed. classes in high school?

The school where I took it didn't have cars so all Ed consisted of watching movies.

We were supplied with Disney films where Goofy was the driver and we were supposed to learn defensive driving from the cartoons.

Can y'all parallel park? That was the choke point of getting a licence back then.

sinclair1

The school where I took it didn't have cars so all Ed consisted of watching movies.

We were supplied with Disney films where Goofy was the driver and we were supposed to learn defensive driving from the cartoons.

Can y'all parallel park? That was the choke point of getting a licence back then.

I was born in January, so I was driving before I could take it. I had a buddy who drove to 8th grade :D

Patriot44

Banned

Seniors were our bus drivers in elementary school. Most don't believe me.

NOYDB

BANNED

At your school seniors could afford a bus???

Thru 3rd grade we lived close enough that I walked to school everyday. Thru 6th we had moved and while a bus was available, if the weather allowed I rode my bike. 7th rode bus daily. 8th and ninth was the American School Singapore and we hired a driver. In tenth was Lompoc Ca and rode bus from base housing to school everyday. 11th was Orlando and rode bus. Senior year I had my licence and drove a car everyday.

Having a car meant fast food for lunch instead of the delicious and nutritious hoagies in the cafeteria.

sinclair1

A coworker lived in chapel hill as a kid and said he drove the bus. It was strange to me, but probably safer than ours, that lady was rough.

Patriot44

Banned
A coworker lived in chapel hill as a kid and said he drove the bus. It was strange to me, but probably safer than ours, that lady was rough.

After they decided that might not be too safe, we had what would have considered Miss Budweiser '67 smoking Marlboro's.

You had to be a bit rough to drive a bus where we lived. A day or two of rain and you darn near needed 4-wheel drive and kids fought. By god fist fights too, not like what I see on the internets these days.

I will also say that I hear the race card getting played every day on the news. I would suggest most people under the age of 30 have never seen real racism. Bigotry yes, but not racism. The Low Country of SC could be rough in places, on both sides of the river.

rospaw

Really! Never heard of that. When i was a senior you wouldn't want me or any of my friends hauling your kids around. ;)

We did have a few buses borrowed by students one night. They took a Saturday night trip down to Atlanta with a few riders. Boy was that a big Stink at school!

Big7

The Oracle
Any of ya'll around Cobb County remember The Nashville Sound in Acworth?

Been there, done that! ;)

I was a car lot before it was a church.
(no joke)

Patriot44

Banned

(no joke)

I spent my teens in Acworth, where at? Of course that was late 80's early 90's. I hear my godfather, father and ole friends talking about the Blue Room.....

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation

(no joke)

After Nashville sound , Day's Chevrolet opened an auction there. Day's sold it to a church @8 years ago.

Jeff Raines

After Nashville sound , Day's Chevrolet opened an auction there. Day's sold it to a church @8 years ago.

I've been working at the water plant across 41 from there for the last 27 years.I've watched this area explode with stores.......I don't like it

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I've been working at the water plant across 41 from there for the last 27 years.I've watched this area explode with stores.......I don't like it

Yea no kidding. I work at Day's. The only good thing about the growth is having more places to eat at lunch

redeli

"Useless Billy Coach"
Cruising the strip in vidalia....making out in the pecan orchid in the cutlas...sneaking in Arlie's and the round table...1st truck was an old Datsun that ran on 3cylinders

LTZ25

Have a friend from Alma Ga. that says the same thing . He said they put there rifles in a closet in back of class so they could hunt after school .
I grew around Dekalb county and we always had guns in our truck for doves in the afternoon down at the honor farm .