Expelled after hunting...another moronic public school decision

I'm agree with the verdict 110%, and I'm glad the school board is having to foot the legal bills. Now, the NRA can use the money to fight for someone else.

When I was in school, I had the same idea. I never chanced it though because I only lived a mile from the school. More than once, I loaded everything but my guns in the van for the weekend hunting trip and left the gun cases inside the door at the house. From the time I left school, I could be on the road going hunting in less than 10 minutes.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Just when you think the courts have completely lost sight of justice, something like this comes along and gives me a little hope that things can turn around. Good for that young man!

BRANCHWYNN

According to this BRANCH, then yes, they could have searched his truck at your house during school hours. Says "anywhere"

That was the section I was referring to.....un-real. Gotta be a violation of rights on this rule. Like I said...LIBERAL WIERDOS....must have come up with this one.:hair:

NOYDB

BANNED
Sort of like the zero tolerance for drugs.......

Or maybe discharging soldiers who are serving honorably because they happen to be gay.

When you wonder where this stuff comes from, don't forget to look close to home.

Caribou Lou

Banned
My school started at 8:15... :crazy:

uh, I'm crazy for not knowing what time your school started? Most of the people I have ever met started school at 7:30 latest in high school. Guess that makes me crazy though???

On a useful note though, I didn't see it was in California so I would imagine school would start different out there than here in Ga. Glad he won.

T.P.

Banned
When I was in school in the late '80s here in Jackson County there was a gun in every other vehicle in the parking lot. Half the kids in school went hunting after class, so they brought their guns to school so when they left school they could go to the woods.
It was no big deal to bring it into Ag class and show all your buddies and teachers. But, we didn't shoot people back then either. Never would have crossed or mind to use a gun in a criminal act.
Too much T.V. screwing up minds today...

Jeffriesw

And we continue to allow schools to operate this way and then send our children to be educated and indoctrinated by them.. why?

Luckybuck

I could shoot as I did many mornings and still quickly run home and have time to catch the school bus. Maybe the principal doesn't like hunting, or maybe he wasn't asked to the kids honey hole. How did they know to search the vehicle, just wondering.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Zero tolerance makes fertile ground for abuse of authority. I have seen it with DFCAS, school boards, and just about any entity that has some kind of authority over others. I despise zero tolerance policies because it eliminates any common sense reasoning.

This is absolutely true...however, it's sort of a double-edged sword, too. The only reason I can think of for having zero-tolerance policies in the first place is because you know that the people you have hired as administrators don't have enough common sense to make the right call. If you have the right people in place and the administrators are allowed to use their own judgement, it could be a really good thing...on the other hand, if you have the wrong people in place...The policies can be changed. I see the people running the show as a bigger problem.

I view zero-tolerance policies as you do. They eliminate any use of common sense, if you're lucky enough to have people in place that possess common sense. But...apparently most of the sheeple-at-large don't have a problem with these policies or administrations.....if we did we would have changed them a long time ago.

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
ok. so now, after the big law suit against the school and it's policies, suppose some wacko kid brings a rifle to school and shoots one of your kids. then, you'd be screaming...'why did this happen? how could this happen? wasn't anyone in charge? who's to blame?' sounds like 'shotgun boy' told someone about the gun in school, a someone dropped a dime on him. next time, keep yer trap shut. or leave the gun home. duh.

ok. so now, after the big law suit against the school and it's policies, suppose some wacko kid brings a rifle to school and shoots one of your kids. then, you'd be screaming...'why did this happen? how could this happen? wasn't anyone in charge? who's to blame?' sounds like 'shotgun boy' told someone about the gun in school, a someone dropped a dime on him. next time, keep yer trap shut. or leave the gun home. duh.

Then take the kid that does the shooting and hang them by their neck from the flag pole and that should slow down the thought process of shooting kids at school.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten

That's really kind of beside the point. If the truck had been parked on school property, then it would be different. It wasn't. The school authorities clearly overstepped their bounds. Their jurisdiction ENDS at the school yard boundary. If we allow any agency with authority over individuals to do that and get away with it, we are headed down a slippery slope.

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
question---are 17yo people allowed to carry [in their car] firearms in california? are they allowed to buy bullets? i dunno. i'm just askin'....

FX Jenkins

When I was in school in the late '80s here in Jackson County there was a gun in every other vehicle in the parking lot. Half the kids in school went hunting after class, so they brought their guns to school so when they left school they could go to the woods.
It was no big deal to bring it into Ag class and show all your buddies and teachers. But, we didn't shoot people back then either. Never would have crossed or mind to use a gun in a criminal act.
Too much T.V. screwing up minds today...

Same story here....

Bill Mc

The point is, he did not bring to shotgun inside the school building.

A shotgun off campus cannot hurt anyone inside the school.:huh:

jmar28

Personally I think the kid is a liar, quote from him

"I went hunting before school, me and my friend, and I didn't want to be late so I parked off campus at my school," Tudesko said.

If you watch the video clip, the reporter said that he has had over 26 refferals, I'm pretty sure just high school.

Now a person with 26 referrals is a trouble maker and I don't think he cared to much about being late for school.

I think he was with his buddies and got all Billy Bad Bottom with it after going hunting and parked just outside of the school grounds for shock value.

People driving by and seeing a shotgun in a truck just outside of school grounds and got freaked out and thought of Columbine all over again.

I think he intentionally did it and managed and lucked up he got away with it

Just my .02

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Personally I think the kid is a liar, quote from him

"I went hunting before school, me and my friend, and I didn't want to be late so I parked off campus at my school," Tudesko said.

If you watch the video clip, the reporter said that he has had over 26 refferals, I'm pretty sure just high school.

Now a person with 26 referrals is a trouble maker and I don't think he cared to much about being late for school.

I think he was with his buddies and got all Billy Bad Bottom with it after going hunting and parked just outside of the school grounds for shock value.

People driving by and seeing a shotgun in a truck just outside of school grounds and got freaked out and thought of Columbine all over again.

I think he intentionally did it and managed and lucked up he got away with it

Just my .02

All that may be true. However, it was still outside the jurisdiction of the school authorities if it was parked off-campus. If they were concerned, they should have advised local authorities and let them decide if some law had been broken.

shadow2

glad to hear that he was allowed back in school. Off camus is off campus plane and simple. Hunting before or right after school was very common where i went to school in