Expelled after hunting...another moronic public school decision

jmar28

All that may be true. However, it was still outside the jurisdiction of the school authorities if it was parked off-campus. If they were concerned, they should have advised local authorities and let them decide if some law had been broken.

No your right, the school shot themselves in the foot by not contacting the police to come and investigate.

I just don't think the kid parked there just so he wouldn't be late for school. Plain and simple, I believe he wanted to show out in front of his buddies

shadow2

No your right, the school shot themselves in the foot by not contacting the police to come and investigate.

I just don't think the kid parked there just so he wouldn't be late for school. Plain and simple, I believe he wanted to show out in front of his buddies

or he parked ther B/C he new that he could not have the guns on school property. I have done this many times in the past. No showing off about it.. just did not want to deal with the hassle. Park next door and walk over.

jmar28

or he parked ther B/C he new that he could not have the guns on school property. I have done this many times in the past. No showing off about it.. just did not want to deal with the hassle. Park next door and walk over.

Right because he knew he would go to jail if he did.
Not doubting you didn't do it,

Just doubting this boys logic of why he did it. I don't by into the whole " I didn't want to be late for school" bit. "So I just parked my vehicle outside of school grounds and just happened to have my weapons in view for everybody to see that came in after me"

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

shadow2

bottom line the school had no right to suspend him for it being in his truck on city property. If he had been on campus or at a school function i could buy it. Just not parked on a city street. By there thaught they would have a right to check you truck on sat afternoon parked at wal mart.

jmar28

bottom line the school had no right to suspend him for it being in his truck on city property. If he had been on campus or at a school function i could buy it. Just not parked on a city street. By there thaught they would have a right to check you truck on sat afternoon parked at wal mart.

I don't buy that or believe that any school system thinks that, He was probably parked just barely over the school's property which threw up red flags everywhere.

People get all in an uproar, "THEY ARE DENYING THAT BOY HIS RIGHTS, THE SCHOOL HAS NO RIGHT TO SEARCH THAT BOY'S VEHICLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE"

What's done is done, no sense in arguing about it, they searched and found guns, they expelled him, he appealed and came back.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't buy that or believe that any school system thinks that, He was probably parked just barely over the school's property which threw up red flags everywhere.

People get all in an uproar, "THEY ARE DENYING THAT BOY HIS RIGHTS, THE SCHOOL HAS NO RIGHT TO SEARCH THAT BOY'S VEHICLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE"

What's done is done, no sense in arguing about it, they searched and found guns, they expelled him, he appealed and came back.

Start buying....here's a quote from the school system in question:

"However, school officials disagreed. They told Parisio state law gives them "the right to search any of the student's vehicles no matter where they're parked or what they're doing during school hours," she said.
"

shadow2

Start buying....here's a quote from the school system in question:

"However, school officials disagreed. They told Parisio state law gives them "the right to search any of the student's vehicles no matter where they're parked or what they're doing during school hours," she said.
"

Thank you

and if you go to the link and watch all the news reports the boy was NOT on any part of school grounds.

jmar28

I think i'll pass up on my purchase, :D:D

The same thread topic was brought up earlier and here is a different article about the situation.

I have to agree with the kids lawyer who says the "Education Code" needs to be better defined.

But as you can tell from the article the truck was only feet away from the schools tennis ground. Thanks to
5HwnBoys for the article I copied and pasted from his thread

In the end, the case of a Willows teenager expelled for having hunting guns in his pickup truck parked next to campus didn't focus on gun rights.
It became a question of whether the authority of school officials to enforce the state's Education Code extended to the school fence – or a sidewalk's width beyond it.
On Friday, members of the Glenn County Board of Education drew the line at the gates of Willows High School.
They ruled that officials in the Willows Unified School District had exceeded their authority when they expelled Gary Tudesko – a 17-year-old with a history of disciplinary problems – for leaving two shotguns and ammunition in his truck parked a few feet from the school's tennis courts on a public street."The district governing board acted in excess of its jurisdiction to expel the Pupil," the board wrote in its decision.
The elected board members said they would not comment on their decision because disciplinary proceedings are normally confidential.The board's hearing Tuesday, at which members heard legal arguments, was open to the public at Tudesko's parents' request.
On the morning of Oct. 26, Tudeskoand a friend went waterfowl hunting. Tudesko brought the guns to school so he wouldn't be late. He said he knew he couldn't bring them on campus but thought it was OK to park on a public street.
Later that morning, a gunsniffing dog discovered the weapons as private security guards searched the campus perimeter. The guns were in the back seat of the truck, which was separated from campus only by an oleander hedge and the sidewalk.
In overturning the teen's expulsion, county Board of Education members cited a state statute that requires a principal to recommend expulsion if a student possesses firearms "at school."
The board found Tudesko had not possessed the shotguns "on school grounds."
They also said Tudesko did not receive a fair expulsion hearing in November because he wasn't given adequate notice that two dozen prior disciplinary incidents would be presented as evidence against him, and he didn't have a chance to respond.
According to a brief filed by the school district's lawyer, those charges included calling a teacher's assistant a "stupid Mexican," disrupting a showing of "To Kill a Mockingbird" by repeatedly saying the "N" word, which Tudesko denied, and writing on a final exam that his math teacher was a "b – – ."After board President Judy Holzapfel read the unanimous decision aloud Friday, supporters cheered and applauded.
Tudesko, his mother, Susan Parisio, and their lawyers smiled and hugged.
At a news conference afterward, Parisio said, "Gary didn't do anything wrong" when he left the guns in his truck. The prior incidents were "blown out of proportion," she said.
Tudesko said he felt his prior disciplinary troubles had been raised to justify his expulsion.
"I think that's really the only thing they had on me. They couldn't get me for the guns," he said.
"I won," he added.
The high school junior, who has been home schooled since he was expelled, said he is excited to return to school as soon as possible. He vowed to improve his failing grades in math, English and history and avoid further trouble.
"I need to grow up and take advantage of school," he said.
Willows school officials exited the county education offices demoralized.
Principal Mort Geivett said he believes he did the right thing by recommending expulsion. Having guns so close to campus in the wake of school shootings around the country raised grave safety concerns, he said.
"I'm disappointed," he said. "I don't think it's a good call for kids in this community."
Steve Olmos, superintendent of the Willows Unified School District, said he believes the board's decision was based on politics in the conservative, rural county.
He said he will meet with the board of the Willows school district to discuss legal options.Thecash-strapped district cannot easily afford to take the case to court, he said, and might seek help from teachers unions.
It is vital, he said, to determine whether school officials can enforce student conduct in the area immediately surrounding campuses.
Chuck Michel, a prominent gun-rights lawyer who handled Tudesko's case, agreed that the phrase "at school" in the Education Code needs to be better defined.
Sections of the code dealing with expulsion, firearms and other disciplinary matters are a confusing tangle of passages tacked on over the years, and the courts have offered little guidance, he said.
He urged lawmakers to draft legislation to clean up the Education Code and to make it clear where and under what circumstances it applies.
"I hope this case provides the basis to go to Sacramento and get the law clarified," Michel said, "so you don't have any more Gary Tudeskos."

treeman101

Glad he won. I graduated in 95 and we took our shotguns to school on the bus for ffa skeet practice. No case and shells in the booksack. Times have changed

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think i'll pass up on my purchase, :D:D

The same thread topic was brought up earlier and here is a different article about the situation.

I have to agree with the kids lawyer who says the "Education Code" needs to be better defined.

But as you can tell from the article the truck was only feet away from the schools tennis ground. Thanks to
5HwnBoys for the article I copied and pasted from his thread

In the end, the case of a Willows teenager expelled for having hunting guns in his pickup truck parked next to campus didn't focus on gun rights.
It became a question of whether the authority of school officials to enforce the state's Education Code extended to the school fence – or a sidewalk's width beyond it.
On Friday, members of the Glenn County Board of Education drew the line at the gates of Willows High School.
They ruled that officials in the Willows Unified School District had exceeded their authority when they expelled Gary Tudesko – a 17-year-old with a history of disciplinary problems – for leaving two shotguns and ammunition in his truck parked a few feet from the school's tennis courts on a public street."The district governing board acted in excess of its jurisdiction to expel the Pupil," the board wrote in its decision.
The elected board members said they would not comment on their decision because disciplinary proceedings are normally confidential.The board's hearing Tuesday, at which members heard legal arguments, was open to the public at Tudesko's parents' request.
On the morning of Oct. 26, Tudeskoand a friend went waterfowl hunting. Tudesko brought the guns to school so he wouldn't be late. He said he knew he couldn't bring them on campus but thought it was OK to park on a public street.
Later that morning, a gunsniffing dog discovered the weapons as private security guards searched the campus perimeter. The guns were in the back seat of the truck, which was separated from campus only by an oleander hedge and the sidewalk.
In overturning the teen's expulsion, county Board of Education members cited a state statute that requires a principal to recommend expulsion if a student possesses firearms "at school."
The board found Tudesko had not possessed the shotguns "on school grounds."
They also said Tudesko did not receive a fair expulsion hearing in November because he wasn't given adequate notice that two dozen prior disciplinary incidents would be presented as evidence against him, and he didn't have a chance to respond.
According to a brief filed by the school district's lawyer, those charges included calling a teacher's assistant a "stupid Mexican," disrupting a showing of "To Kill a Mockingbird" by repeatedly saying the "N" word, which Tudesko denied, and writing on a final exam that his math teacher was a "b – – ."After board President Judy Holzapfel read the unanimous decision aloud Friday, supporters cheered and applauded.
Tudesko, his mother, Susan Parisio, and their lawyers smiled and hugged.
At a news conference afterward, Parisio said, "Gary didn't do anything wrong" when he left the guns in his truck. The prior incidents were "blown out of proportion," she said.
Tudesko said he felt his prior disciplinary troubles had been raised to justify his expulsion.
"I think that's really the only thing they had on me. They couldn't get me for the guns," he said.
"I won," he added.
The high school junior, who has been home schooled since he was expelled, said he is excited to return to school as soon as possible. He vowed to improve his failing grades in math, English and history and avoid further trouble.
"I need to grow up and take advantage of school," he said.
Willows school officials exited the county education offices demoralized.
Principal Mort Geivett said he believes he did the right thing by recommending expulsion. Having guns so close to campus in the wake of school shootings around the country raised grave safety concerns, he said.
"I'm disappointed," he said. "I don't think it's a good call for kids in this community."
Steve Olmos, superintendent of the Willows Unified School District, said he believes the board's decision was based on politics in the conservative, rural county.
He said he will meet with the board of the Willows school district to discuss legal options.Thecash-strapped district cannot easily afford to take the case to court, he said, and might seek help from teachers unions.
It is vital, he said, to determine whether school officials can enforce student conduct in the area immediately surrounding campuses.
Chuck Michel, a prominent gun-rights lawyer who handled Tudesko's case, agreed that the phrase "at school" in the Education Code needs to be better defined.
Sections of the code dealing with expulsion, firearms and other disciplinary matters are a confusing tangle of passages tacked on over the years, and the courts have offered little guidance, he said.
He urged lawmakers to draft legislation to clean up the Education Code and to make it clear where and under what circumstances it applies.
"I hope this case provides the basis to go to Sacramento and get the law clarified," Michel said, "so you don't have any more Gary Tudeskos."

There's not much doubt the kid is a discipline problem. That still does not change the fact that the skrewl authorities overstepped their authority and violated his rights. They had no jurisdiction or authority to search his truck off-campus. That also still doesn't change the fact that they thought they did have that authority and said so.

MudDucker

Staff member
This is a looney tunes principal. A school has not jurisdiction over student behavior off of their campus unless they student is participating in a school sponsored activity.

This whole no guns on school property is a bad law/rule based on over reaction to a terrible tragedy. Myself and most of my friends had weapons in our vehicles. They were there all the time, because we hunted or shot for pleasure a lot both before and after school. There was no Columbine going on. There was and properly so a rule of no guns out of vehicles on school property or inside any school buildings.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well, I think that the increase in school violence is a direct result of a decrease in parenting....it has nothing to do with whether kids have hunting weapons in the vehicle or not. If these kids had some guidance and someone that was actually supervising them and paying attention to what is going on with them and asking questions and poking their noses into the kid's business...a lot of this wouldn't happen. I also think that the decline in effective parenting and child-rearing and DISCIPLINE is tied to the government sticking THEIR noses into it and getting involved in the family's business and dictating how people raise their kids (as well as other factors). The goverment is now reaping what they have sowed.....and blaming everyone else for it.

Bishop

He may be an proper sportsman hunter, however I reckon if someone had broke into his truck and stole the weapon, and used it on someone, then the “zero tolerance” policy wouldn’t have been so bad.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
He may be an proper sportsman hunter, however I reckon if someone had broke into his truck and stole the weapon, and used it on someone, then the “zero tolerance” policy wouldn’t have been so bad.

Once again, the school's zero tolerance policy has nothing at all to do with it. The truck was not on school property and, as such, was not subject to that policy.

The issue here is that the school overstepped their authority in searching the truck and seizing the guns.

ChiefOsceola

I speak from experience...

When I was a senior in 97 the assistant principals did a sweep of the parking lot and spotted my shotgun in my truck (Fitzgerald High School). Though I'd grown up in Dublin, we moved to our farm outside Fitzgerald middle of my junior year. Anyhow, in either 1st or 2nd period the principal came to my class and asked that I go with him to his office. He asked me if I knew why I was there. "No sir" was my reply. He told me they'd found the gun in my truck and had me follow him out to the truck to verify it was my truck. Called the parents and told me I was suspended until I could go in front the school board panel (don't remember what they called them). They said that this was a zero tolerance policy and I was expelled for a year (keep in mind this was now less than 4 weeks from when I was set to graduate). My parents hired a lawyer (Harvey Davis) and we were granted an appeal. 4 of my teachers came and "testified" on my behalf and the lawyer did his thing. It was determined that I'd be allowed to finish the school year at the Alternative Ed Center in Ocilla (they were combined for the 2 counties then).

Granted, the gun was on school grounds since my truck was parked in the parking lot (though the parking lot I was in was one of the furthest from the building)...but @ a rural school like Fitz High, at least half the guys I went to school with hunted. I was just the unlucky idiot that was had one in my truck that day. I'd been down @ the pond the day before shooting turtles (I'm sure there's a lesson here) and just failed to take it out of the truck.

It all worked out alright...I graduated 2 days earlier than my classmates (thanks to Irwin Co getting out earlier...and the Alt. Ed Center was in Irwin) but I didn't get to walk.

Zero tolerance is a crock. Intent should play a factor in it. Previous record should play a factor. :banginghe

jmar28

Well, I think that the increase in school violence is a direct result of a decrease in parenting....it has nothing to do with whether kids have hunting weapons in the vehicle or not. If these kids had some guidance and someone that was actually supervising them and paying attention to what is going on with them and asking questions and poking their noses into the kid's business...a lot of this wouldn't happen. I also think that the decline in effective parenting and child-rearing and DISCIPLINE is tied to the government sticking THEIR noses into it and getting involved in the family's business and dictating how people raise their kids (as well as other factors). The goverment is now reaping what they have sowed.....and blaming everyone else for it.

I'll agree with you that parents need to step up and get involved.
If you watch the interview from one of the columbines killer mother, she says she regrets and shes sorry for not getting more involved with her son after she started noticing a change in his behavior, to some extent like that.

Alot of people, including myself, graduated before 1999, when columbine happened. After that schools took extra precaution to try to avoid another situation like that, and you can't blame them.

And as much as we like to complain it's idiots like this, columbine killers and the virginia tech killer, their actions makes these rules come into play.

And if the school board in California attempts to redefine "at school" in their eduacation code, it will be because of this idiot.

Bishop

Once again, the school's zero tolerance policy has nothing at all to do with it. The truck was not on school property and, as such, was not subject to that policy.

The issue here is that the school overstepped their authority in searching the truck and seizing the guns.

Okay,

Was he a student there? Was the truck just passing through the 1000 feet of the school boundaries, which make up the school zone, or was it parked within this zone or outside of it?

California Penal Code Section 626.9 (e)(1)
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html

FX Jenkins

1000 ft, just shy of 3 football fields...I would say thats in excess of their jurisdiction. Hopefully they will repeal the penal code...but hey, its California....

Bishop

1000 ft, just shy of 3 football fields...I would say thats in excess of their jurisdiction. Hopefully they will repeal the penal code...but hey, its California....

1,000 feet is the same for Georgia. See O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2003_04/gacode/16-11-127.1.html

16-11-127.1 (a) (7)
(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or any weapon legally kept within a vehicle in transit through a designated school zone by any person other than a student;

and

16-11-127.1 (f)