Panthers ?

dannybuck

I might get bashed, but yur not gonna tell me there's no panthers in GA. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but I did, and watched it on the edge of a gas line for about 5 minutes. I've been hunting for 35 years, seen cougars out west, and there's no doubt it was a BIG cat.

GA DAWG

you don't think they don't still find cat kills out west where they have coyotes (not to mention wolves?)

T
You think the one from troup co made any kills? Anybody find them? Maybe he didn't kill nothing from Fl up here. Mighta eat fast food or something. Anyhow that kill PROVED they are here:)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A normal colored panther showin` up anywhere in Georgia doesn`t surprise me the least little bit.

As for my open challenge on one of those mythical black ones I issued several years ago, the challenge stands. And I`m still waitin`.

maxwell42583

Im down here in Grady County. We see big cats and there tracks about once a year. We here them often, too. We took a plaster cast of one set of prints next to our horse barn. We sent them in to DNR and to FWC. FWC said it was panther tracks. DNR never responded. For some reason, it seems like DNR has a desire to deny panthers at all cost. I mean a man SHOT a FLORIDA PANTHER near Americus! How much more proof is needed! There are game camera pics out of Colquitt County of a panther carrying a freshly killed buck!! There are plaster casts of prints! It will take someone getting killed to prove they exist here. A panther has a range of 300 square miles. That is pretty dang big!

Lukethedrifter

I have no dog in this fight, just want to comment on the above post. The camera pics out of colquitt county with the panther carrying the buck have also been on half the trail cams in every county in the state. It was - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - about it being from Ga. 3 different buddies have sent me that picture from 3 different counties.

I also would like to say that my family owns a nature preserve and houses a mountain lion along with some yotes coons foxes and bobcats. The cougar isnt nearly as vocal as some of the other animals mentioned and the whole sounds like woman being killed comments all over here.... there are a few NATIVE Ga animals that make similar sounds. Oh, and the bigfoot folks are just nuts.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
For the new folks.

Bring me a BLACK mt. lion-panther-puma-cougar, and I will take it to the Lee County courthouse yard, skin it with a flint flake, kindle a fire by rubbin` two sticks together, cook said critter over this fire, and use one of the claws for a toothpick when I`m done. This challenge also applies to a jaguar, spotted, or black as the tires on a truck, IF, you can prove without a doubt that it was wild, originated in the southern United States, and was not some escaped pet, fair, or zoo animal.

I believe that my words above are purty clear, and easily understood, but just so everybody understands, a BLACK one, not tan, not brown, not gray. Don`t believe me? Try me.

Don`t bring me a picture or photo. Bring me the critter. Oh yea, I get to keep the skin.

I`ve been waitin` a couple of years now, and I`m still waitin`...

I will match Nick's challenge and help him in the process (we aren't getting any younger Nick).

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
<b>GoAnimate.com</b>: black panther song/poem by null<br/><embed src='http://goanimate.com//api/animation/player?utm_source=embed' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' width='400' height='286' FlashVars='movieOwner=null&movieId=0SF4LKKSLeJU&movieLid=0&movieTitle=black%20panther%20song/poem&movieDesc=&userId=0IVXxIaczaa0&apiserver=http%3A//goanimate.com/&appCode=go&thumbnailURL=http%3A//goanimate.com/files/thumbnails/movie/1564/3025564/6460261L.jpg&fb_app_url=http%3A//goanimate.com/go/&copyable=0&showButtons=1&isEmbed=1&chain_mids=&ctc=go&tlang=en_US&isPublished=1&is_private_shared=0' allowScriptAccess='always' allowFullScreen='true'></embed><br><br>Like it? Create your own at GoAnimate.com. It's free and fun!

Beartrkkr

Now with that said: If there are no panthers in Georgia and I was to shoot one, then I guess I really didn't shoot one because it is impossible to shoot something that does not exist in the state where you are hunting; right?
Isn't that like shooting a Red Wolf??? The government said for years that the Red Wolf is extinct. Now we are beeginning to see them again. Now truth, I woould never in my lifetime shoot a Red Wolf (there would never be enough of them produced to make the government take them off the endangered species list), but if a panther were attempting to or actually attacking me - it would be DRT.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/01/0131_030131_redwolf.html

http://www.fws.gov/redwolf/

Chase4556

Cougars are not uncommon out in Texas. No, we don't see them all the time, but still common.

I have see a cougar twice on our property in the 6 years we have had it. Probably the same one. Heard stories about them when we bought it from the neighbors, but we didn't start believing until they brought us over to check out the deer carcass they found in a tree. Also found a couple hogs we had shot that were half eated and drug up underneath some pines and covered with pine straw. Finally I made my first sighting about 3 1/2 years ago, then saw it again later that year during deer season. I have no real reason to kill one, even out there where it is legal.

Just funny to come from out there, to here where they are a huge mystery type animal.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Cougars are not uncommon out in Texas. No, we don't see them all the time, but still common.

I have see a cougar twice on our property in the 6 years we have had it. Probably the same one. Heard stories about them when we bought it from the neighbors, but we didn't start believing until they brought us over to check out the deer carcass they found in a tree. Also found a couple hogs we had shot that were half eated and drug up underneath some pines and covered with pine straw. Finally I made my first sighting about 3 1/2 years ago, then saw it again later that year during deer season. I have no real reason to kill one, even out there where it is legal.

Just funny to come from out there, to here where they are a huge mystery type animal.

so in a place where they are known to exist you found actual physical evidence other than poor trail camera pictures and stories told round the fire by pawpaw about what his uncle's cousin heard?

Imagine that. ;)

T

Chase4556

so in a place where they are known to exist you found actual physical evidence other than poor trail camera pictures and stories told round the fire by pawpaw about what his uncle's cousin heard?

Imagine that. ;)

T

If you knew the people that surround our property and some of the claims they have made, you would be amazed that one was true as well. Haha.

I mainly find it funny the pictures people put up, asking if its a cougar/panther. When they finally see a picture of one on their cameras... they will know. Thats really what made me post, but I forgot to add that little tid bit. :clap:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If you knew the people that surround our property and some of the claims they have made, you would be amazed that one was true as well. Haha.

I mainly find it funny the pictures people put up, asking if its a cougar/panther. When they finally see a picture of one on their cameras... they will know. Thats really what made me post, but I forgot to add that little tid bit. :clap:

I saw one at the nashville zoo this week. I almost fell out in hysterics when I thought of the pics of "panthers" posted on here.

T