If the season deer limits are changed to 2 bucks & 3 does

shdw633

This is why you don't see a change in bag limits. This came right from the Georgia deer management plan for 2015-2024. As you can see only 189 people went to the public meetings and wanted lower limits; however, 70% of the people that responded back to the surveys indicated they were happy with the limits and 55% were highly satisfied with the limits. So by this report, those of you who want the bag limits lowered are in the very low majority according to this deer management plan.

Attachments

• Bag Limits.jpg
    Bag Limits.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 129

cam88

I vote to open up urban area hunts to people. Ever time I drive to work there are heards of them on the side of road.

Gumpbuck

Well....

All I can say is that my wife and I had a great GA deer season. We tagged out on bucks and watched plenty of deer from our stand. No does were taken on our club for the year.

I understand putting some meat in the freezer and I have had seasons where the only deer I saw were does. So I have taken does from time to time.

There a lot of good points and strong math being shared here. For me, I think a lower limit on does would help. Nothing will be perfect, but shooting 10 does, for those that are willing, can't be healthy for the heard...
My number is 2 bucks and 3 does tops.

broncos

Imo I think you have to manage your bucks at some point in order to have a healthy herd. You wouldn't want inferior deer doing all the breeding and the reason I say bucks is because it's easier to some what tell about a buck's health thru the antlers that he cast. I think you should do what's best for the land that you hunt. I don't think a biologist is needed after all you are the one there year after year and should be in tune with your herd and what it needs, but at the same time think about everyone in the club and don't be greedy and just think about yourself. Plus if you shoot all the bucks and not as many doe you prolly won't see much of a rut.

Tideup

That is all we can take on our club now . I don’t remember, but one ex member that ever harvested all his does . Every couple of years we will have a member harvest 2 bucks.? We use the state rules on bucks. 7000 acres 25 members .
We have plenty of game !!

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Make all 12 tags Either sex, that
way everybody can manage as they see fit.

NO grown bucks to see will ever be the norm again.
A year old basket 8 won’t ever live long enough if thats the way it was. 12 bucks isn’t the right answer.
I know thats not what you want or said yet that’s what it would be. Look it’s antler:shoot:::gone:

Dustin

I don't totally agree with this. I think there is a lot more restraint by hunters to not pull the trigger. When the limits were first put out there as high as they were I think hunters felt the need to get as many as they could and over time they have seen that it's not that necessary to kill that many deer even though you can. I know in the last 8 years on the club that I am on that is what I have seen, especially as the average age of the hunter keeps rising the need for meat decreases.

Exactly, the people are not killing less for the fun of it, they either aren't seeing them or, in the case of your club I would say ya'll have already went through that and realized there was overharvesting... in my area the people are still running around saying "DNR allows 12 and that's what I'll hunt for".

ryanh487

A year old basket 8 won’t ever live long enough if thats the way it was. 12 bucks isn’t the right answer.
I know thats not what you want or said yet that’s what it would be. Look it’s antler:shoot:::gone:

Tell that to SC and Alabama

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’m not saying it they are.

Attachments

• E783580D-9057-46F6-8797-A6FA2E7AC433.jpeg
    E783580D-9057-46F6-8797-A6FA2E7AC433.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 88

rwh

i still wouldn't come close to tagging out. unless a wall hanger walks by i'll most likely never shoot more than 2 deer in a season again.

Hunter922

Wouldn't change our hunting at all..Im good with it..

JB0704

The Original JB
i still wouldn't come close to tagging out. unless a wall hanger walks by i'll most likely never shoot more than 2 deer in a season again.

If they made all 12 tags ES, you could shoot lotsa wallhangers that walk by. Not fair the only folks get to manage as they see fit is the doe haters.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

SC had absolutely no limit at all on antlered bucks for decades. You could kill fifty bucks a year in most of the state. In the areas with a buck limit, it was five. Doe harvest was controlled a lot more strictly, you couldn't kill them right and left. I see a LOT more bigger bucks in SC than I do in NC with a two-buck limit. And more bucks overall. A significant amount more. Your argument doesn't hold water.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
The limit should be unlimited for smart people, and 1 buck and 1 doe for the dumb people. Then the herd will be fine. Otherwise, they are going to argue about it until Hades freezes over. Along with God designing a ruminant with a 4 chambered stomach made for vegetation and woody browse, on whether or not to feed it corn.

JB0704

The Original JB
SC had absolutely no limit at all on antlered bucks for decades. You could kill fifty bucks a year in most of the state. In the areas with a buck limit, it was five. Doe harvest was controlled a lot more strictly, you couldn't kill them right and left. I see a LOT more bigger bucks in SC than I do in NC with a two-buck limit. And more bucks overall. A significant amount more. Your argument doesn't hold water.

The folks who have lotsa deer want to manage as they see fit with the does, but they don't want anybody to have the same freedom with the bucks.........they want to limit the amount of bucks another fella can shoot so that they may have increased odds of killin' a mega buck. All this "I don't care how other folks hunt" is generally nonsense (I am sure there are a few exceptions). Most everybody has some type of restrictions they want to place on other folks so that their individual management needs can be met. I haven't heard anybody advocate eliminating seasons, limits, etc.

The issue I have is that our current limits and tags cater to an extremely small minority of hunters who actually could use a 10 doe limit in order to meet their management goals. Expand that limit to include bucks, and you would be allowing a LOT more hunters to meet their individual management goals. Otherwise, billy will have to continue suffering the indignity of asking his kids and friends to claim bucks #3, 4, 5, etc at the local processor.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The folks who have lotsa deer want to manage as they see fit with the does, but they don't want anybody to have the same freedom with the bucks.........they want to limit the amount of bucks another fella can shoot so that they may have increased odds of killin' a mega buck. All this "I don't care how other folks hunt" is generally nonsense (I am sure there are a few exceptions). Most everybody has some type of restrictions they want to place on other folks so that their individual management needs can be met. I haven't heard anybody advocate eliminating seasons, limits, etc.

The issue I have is that our current limits and tags cater to an extremely small minority of hunters who actually could use a 10 doe limit in order to meet their management goals. Expand that limit to include bucks, and you would be allowing a LOT more hunters to meet their individual management goals. Otherwise, billy will have to continue suffering the indignity of asking his kids and friends to claim bucks #3, 4, 5, etc at the local processor.

I reckon I`m one of those few exceptions, because I really and truly don`t care how anybody else hunts. And this applies to not just deer but all species that gets hunted.

It`s none of my business how others hunt.

JB0704

The Original JB
I reckon I`m one of those few exceptions, because I really and truly don`t care how anybody else hunts. And this applies to not just deer but all species that gets hunted.

It`s none of my business how others hunt.

You were actually the person I had in mind when I put that qualifier there :)