Internet has caused an will continue to cause lease prices to skyrocket

Jim Boyd

All apologies then, Woodsman and I ask for your forgiveness.

You may even feel some of the same frustrations from time to time.

8pointduck

And on post 22 the "Rich Atlanta and Florida hunters" card is played. I wish I made what some of you guys think I do. I bust my butt doing side work, and working OT to pay for my lease. As do most of the guys who are on it. We lease from a private owner. He gets offered considerably more than we pay on a regular basis. He always tells them no, because he knows we take good care of his investment. As far as your not so good paying job, maybe you shouldn't have chosen it as a career. You did know how much it paid, didn't you? And, an FYI, I work in construction, no degree or anything like that.

You sound a little hurt about something no one was even talking to you about. So you think it is all about career choices . Some of us do not even have that anymore because of other circumstances. But you. You feel everyone can do what you do. I have heard this insult from many on Woodies for to long now.

No one on here cares if someone has had enough with the head ach of just trying to get in a club or land and quits. Some taking generations of future hunters with them.I see the attitudes of the too bad, more for me crowd. Sad

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
All apologies then, Woodsman and I ask for your forgiveness.

You may even feel some of the same frustrations from time to time.

He's been pretty vocal about the predicament a lot of clubs are in. I'm not a member of his club but mine has leased the same property since the early 70's. It's a prime and unique 3000 acres in middle ga and the timber company raises the lease price EVERY year. I've been there nearly 20 years and can't imagine hunting anywhere else. I've been asked to be president and I turned it down because of the headaches involved so I do everything I can to help get the lease paid and work done. I've read and reread many of your posts and enjoy reading your adventures also. I don't know where we're headed with lease prices but there's going to be a breaking point somewhere. You can only add so many members before the quality of hunting isn't worth the price we have to pay.

rance56

i think we are far from a breaking point. before too long if you let go of a lease it will be put for lease on the internet and it will be part of a bidding process like ebay imo. atleast with the corporate owned or controlled land. then will see just how crazy lease prices can get

Boondocks

Take price of lease per acre and divide it into price of land per acre and you will see what a good deal you are getting at any price.You could lease your whole life and would not pay for an acre of land.Do not get mad at landowners when you may not even be covering the property tax much less a return on investment.I am a landowner and know what it cost to keep it and do lease some so i know.It is only pocket money from hunting.

rance56

Take price of lease per acre and divide it into price of land per acre and you will see what a good deal you are getting at any price.You could lease your whole life and would not pay for an acre of land.Do not get mad at landowners when you may not even be covering the property tax much less a return on investment.I am a landowner and know what it cost to keep it and do lease some so i know.It is only pocket money from hunting.

its more then pocket change or it wouldnt be worth folks time. heck some folks are even able to lease land out at high rates and work it out where them and their friends can still hunt it. lol imagine that sweet heart deal.

swamp hunter

You can also blame the Interstate Highway system , Fancy Trucks and cheap gas.
If a Lease down here where I live costs 7 to 10 Thousand a year and I can drive up in 6 hours to a Lease that costs 1,100 $ a year.
150 in fuel and KFC...I'm good.

Jim Boyd

M Guthrie -

I would love it if prices were lower.

What raises my hair is when people go down the “he is the President so he gets a free ride” road - when most club managers (a term I prefer) are generally more put upon than the members.

They often have to make the hard calls that are not always popular with all members, too....

I have no idea what Woodman’s situation is...

I hear the sentiment in your voice however and hope you get to hunt the same property for a long, long time.

Jim

He's been pretty vocal about the predicament a lot of clubs are in. I'm not a member of his club but mine has leased the same property since the early 70's. It's a prime and unique 3000 acres in middle ga and the timber company raises the lease price EVERY year. I've been there nearly 20 years and can't imagine hunting anywhere else. I've been asked to be president and I turned it down because of the headaches involved so I do everything I can to help get the lease paid and work done. I've read and reread many of your posts and enjoy reading your adventures also. I don't know where we're headed with lease prices but there's going to be a breaking point somewhere. You can only add so many members before the quality of hunting isn't worth the price we have to pay.

pottydoc

You sound a little hurt about something no one was even talking to you about. So you think it is all about career choices . Some of us do not even have that anymore because of other circumstances. But you. You feel everyone can do what you do. I have heard this insult from many on Woodies for to long now.

No one on here cares if someone has had enough with the head ach of just trying to get in a club or land and quits. Some taking generations of future hunters with them.I see the attitudes of the too bad, more for me crowd. Sad
You read a lot into stuff that isn't there, don't you? You are pretty much correct in saying I don't much care if someone gives up hunting because they don't care enough about it to make the sacrifices to find a way to do it, however. And I make no apologies for that. If the "headaches" of trying to get into a club is too much for someone, they don't care much about hunting. Because it just isn't that hard to find one. There's tons of adds on this forum alone. Mainly my original post was because everytime a thread like this gets started, the Florida guys and the Atlanta guys get hammered. Any issue with Ga deer hunting, real or (usually) imagined, gets blamed on those two groups. Especially anything involving land to hunt on. I as amazed it took only to post 22 on this thread. I will say that there was way less of it than usual on here, and even a few guys defending us, :)

killerv

You got that right. We'd love to simply cover the taxes on some of our land by leasing but if you do the math, no way in the world someone would pay that per acre in our neck of the woods. That being said I did see people get excited over 19 bucks an acre in Twiggs county awhile back...never thought I'd see that day... made me start thinking about it a little.

8pointduck

You read a lot into stuff that isn't there, don't you? You are pretty much correct in saying I don't much care if someone gives up hunting because they don't care enough about it to make the sacrifices to find a way to do it, however. And I make no apologies for that. If the "headaches" of trying to get into a club is too much for someone, they don't care much about hunting. Because it just isn't that hard to find one. There's tons of adds on this forum alone. Mainly my original post was because everytime a thread like this gets started, the Florida guys and the Atlanta guys get hammered. Any issue with Ga deer hunting, real or (usually) imagined, gets blamed on those two groups. Especially anything involving land to hunt on. I as amazed it took only to post 22 on this thread. I will say that there was way less of it than usual on here, and even a few guys defending us, :)

No, I did not read into anything, but you sure did. You also are the problem . You see it as if someone cannot pay a thousand to fifteen hundred, they do not care enough about hunting? Wrong. I will post it again so read it slowly. Not everyone cannot pay that price . It has nothing to do with career choices. So you come on here with your butt hurt rant because it hurt your little feelings. Well like it or not. You have to be from FLA. And, I do know how people from FLA. have caused the raise in prices. No it is not the only reason, but it is still one of them. I am not about to argue that. And another thing, you ever wonder why you see the same clubs posting each year for members? Notice how it is never a new start up?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have been hunting a long time. Long enough to see how it went from how it was to how it is. In the early years, you could hunt almost anywhere, and no one cared. When it all changed and turned into the mess it is now was when all these tv shows came out that popularized trophy hunting (most folks used to just deer hunt and were happy with any legal kill.) With the idea of managing land and deer to grow your own monster bucks repeated over and over; suddenly, there was no land to hunt on unless you paid for it. And that's when all the jealousy, bidding wars, agonizing over whether a buck was big enough to shoot, telling everybody else how they should be hunting, and the whole little inviolate feudal kingdom attitude of deer hunting began. It was already going strong before the internet exaggerated it.

pottydoc

No, I did not read into anything, but you sure did. You also are the problem . You see it as if someone cannot pay a thousand to fifteen hundred, they do not care enough about hunting? Wrong. I will post it again so read it slowly. Not everyone cannot pay that price . It has nothing to do with career choices. So you come on here with your butt hurt rant because it hurt your little feelings. Well like it or not. You have to be from FLA. And, I do know how people from FLA. have caused the raise in prices. No it is not the only reason, but it is still one of them. I am not about to argue that. And another thing, you ever wonder why you see the same clubs posting each year for members? Notice how it is never a new start up?
You got lots to say, and zero proof to back it up. Except maybe your wife's cousins brother in laws buddy losing his lease to us rich Florida boys. As far as who's looking for members, couldn't tell ya. I've been in the same club for a bunch of years. We have almost zero turnover, and when someone does leave, our president calls the first guy on the list of folks that want on, and we are full again.Our lease is over 20 years old. All Florida guys. The owner has been offered way more than we pay multiple times and turn d it down. He's a local Ga boy, by the way. And there's thousands of people that can't afford a lease that still hunt public land. Lack of that $1000.00-1500.00 doesn't stop anyone who wants to hunt. It's just a lame reason you try to use against Fl and Atlanta hunters. I don't remember off hand the percentage on non resident hunters in Ga, but I do remember it's small. Way too small to drive up lease prices. I was at Steinhatchee fishing this weekend. I saw a bunch of GA tags and boat registrations. I guess they're the reason the cost of ice and shrimp went up at the marina. At least by your line of reasoning. As far as butt hurt, you're the one mad and getting personal. If you care so much about the supposed folks that can't hunt, why don't you pay the lease cost for a couple of them? Show us how concerned you really are.

holton27596

if a lifetime of dues wont buy "one acre of land" either you have some super cheap dues or some holy smokes expensive land. Shop around and down here in SE Ga (west of i95) land can be found for 500-1000 and acre if you are patient and look around.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Are you serious? Apparently you don't know much about land. I bought hunting land for <1k an acre a few years ago. And the taxes are less than $2 an acre on it the way it is listed. You need to do more research. One year's club dues will buy you a couple-three acres of land if you look. Land in the suburbs is expensive, but land out in the boonies can be had dirt cheap at times. A decade of club dues will get you a huntable piece of land of your own.

Buckstop

All states have those that can and can’t afford to hunt private land locally. Way more local hunters in Fl can’t afford a local Fl lease than in GA. Fl management areas are packed with em.

Most guys I know that make the trip from up from Fl are working folks that budget for the expense because its important to them. Being able to pay $1,200 a year to hunt doesnt make someone anywhere near rich.

8pointduck

You got lots to say, and zero proof to back it up. Except maybe your wife's cousins brother in laws buddy losing his lease to us rich Florida boys. As far as who's looking for members, couldn't tell ya. I've been in the same club for a bunch of years. We have almost zero turnover, and when someone does leave, our president calls the first guy on the list of folks that want on, and we are full again.Our lease is over 20 years old. All Florida guys. The owner has been offered way more than we pay multiple times and turn d it down. He's a local Ga boy, by the way. And there's thousands of people that can't afford a lease that still hunt public land. Lack of that $1000.00-1500.00 doesn't stop anyone who wants to hunt. It's just a lame reason you try to use against Fl and Atlanta hunters. I don't remember off hand the percentage on non resident hunters in Ga, but I do remember it's small. Way too small to drive up lease prices. I was at Steinhatchee fishing this weekend. I saw a bunch of GA tags and boat registrations. I guess they're the reason the cost of ice and shrimp went up at the marina. At least by your line of reasoning. As far as butt hurt, you're the one mad and getting personal. If you care so much about the supposed folks that can't hunt, why don't you pay the lease cost for a couple of them? Show us how concerned you really are.

Oh good grief, here we go.............I saw someone fishing................So all them thousands of fish in the gulf are in the same number as the deer, or the mass of the gulf compared to limited land. Give me a break from your reasoning. I am sick of people trying to justify what they do. I have plenty of evidence that your crowd has tried there best to undermine residents and I don't have any of your silly commented uncle ,cousin whatever. Who said I had anything against Atlanta folks hunting? Who said you made more than we do? Who said that hunting on a WMA was a viable option? But you still had the hurt dog syndrome really bad don't you. They always holler.

pottydoc

Oh good grief, here we go.............I saw someone fishing................So all them thousands of fish in the gulf are in the same number as the deer, or the mass of the gulf compared to limited land. Give me a break from your reasoning. I am sick of people trying to justify what they do. I have plenty of evidence that your crowd has tried there best to undermine residents and I don't have any of your silly commented uncle ,cousin whatever. Who said I had anything against Atlanta folks hunting? Who said you made more than we do? Who said that hunting on a WMA was a viable option? But you still had the hurt dog syndrome really bad don't you. They always holler.
You obviously don't understand sarcasm. I don't have any issue with out of state guys fishing here. I used it as an example of how silly y'alls argument that OOS hunters make the prices of leased land go up. That's why I put low priced items (gulps and ice) as examples. And if you go back a few posts, you'll see I didn't bring up Atlanta folks, you did, back in post 22. You also brought up people who couldn't afford leases anymore, so they got out of hunting. I only made the point that 1000's of folks manage to hunt without being on a lease. What part of any of that don't you understand? And if you got any evidence that Florida and Atlanta hunters cause prices to go up, please post it so everyone can see.

shdw633

Are you serious? Apparently you don't know much about land. I bought hunting land for <1k an acre a few years ago. And the taxes are less than $2 an acre on it the way it is listed. You need to do more research. One year's club dues will buy you a couple-three acres of land if you look. Land in the suburbs is expensive, but land out in the boonies can be had dirt cheap at times. A decade of club dues will get you a huntable piece of land of your own.

So what your saying is that for about $100,000 and $200 a year I could hunt 100 acres, but for just $1500 a year I could hunt 2000 acres and save myself $100,000 which could be earning me about 5% a year in interest if invested properly and I don't have to buy insurance for the land or worry about taking care of it. If all I am wanting to do is hunt the land it seems like a no brainer as to what I would do.