Deer 'blowing'

Barracuda

Okay, everyone knows that high pitched annoying sound....the one where the doe busts your hunt for the day. I know I saw a thread on this before but can't find it, do bucks make this same noise? I know I have also heard a different 'blow' that would mimic a more normal sound of blowing air through their nose. Would this sound be more likely to come from a buck?

hunter44a

In my experience they do blow. Don't recall if there was a difference in tone though.

XJfire75

A doe is more likely to do it but bucks will too. There will be a little difference just like if you tried to mimic it and had your wife try to too. Little deeper and raspier from you and a higher pitched annoying sound from your wife...lol

rjcruiser

Nothing worse than hearing the "pppfffwhhhooo" while sitting in the stand.

The younger does don't seem to have as good a nose as the old nannies. They'll bust ya from a mile away.

patchestc

the times i have heard it, the doe was looking right at me, just before she takes off.

win280

I've had bucks and does blow at me. The bucks tend to be louder and more deep toned.Bucks will blow once and disappear. Does tend to blow and run off,stop and blow again. Neither one is a sound you want to hear.IMO

marknga

GONetwork Member
I've had deer blow at me while I'm easing through the woods, most of the time I haven't seen the deer yet. I've found that if you
"whaaaooooof" back and stomp your foot back at them they will blow again. Be still and you can usually catch a glimpse of them

Not a good sound while sitting in your stand though....

and back to your question: I think that does are more likely but both sexes will do it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have heard the sound more than I like to admit and from both bucks and does who were alarmed at my presence. I have also heard a similar, but much softer, blowing noise made by deer which did not seem to be particularly alarmed. It seemed to be more like a "who are you" or "where are you" vocalization.

burkehunter

I hear it alot because I hunt over mostly bedding area and are always spooking them but I have only seen bucks do it to me but I imagine there have been a few does in the past that I didn't see.

RoboHunter

Okay, everyone knows that high pitched annoying sound....the one where the doe busts your hunt for the day. I know I saw a thread on this before but can't find it, do bucks make this same noise? I know I have also heard a different 'blow' that would mimic a more normal sound of blowing air through their nose. Would this sound be more likely to come from a buck?

Killed a nice eight pointer about 15 minutes after getting busted by a couple of does that come behind and downwind of me. So, it doesnt have to mean your hunt for the day is ruined. Keep hunting.

Barracuda

I hear it alot because I hunt over mostly bedding area and are always spooking them but I have only seen bucks do it to me but I imagine there have been a few does in the past that I didn't see.

When you bust these deer over there bedding areas, how long do you wait before you hunt that area again?

WPTC

Banned
Killed a nice eight pointer about 15 minutes after getting busted by a couple of does that come behind and downwind of me. So, it doesnt have to mean your hunt for the day is ruined. Keep hunting.

must of been in the rut or he had a bad inner ear infection:D

miles58

Banned yankee
In my experience they are likely to blow at you if the get a whiff of you but don't have you quite located. They will often stomp a foot multiple times while snorting trying to get you to move so they have you zeroed in. Yearlings seem to be willing to follow up a scent trail (either on the breeze or where you walked on the ground) and when they figure you're close they'll snort and/or stomp to get you to move.

I have watched groups of deer that can hear one snorting. They don't seem to get real worried about it. They pay attention for sure, but they might go back to feeding while the snorter keeps it up. A couple years back I watched a dozen or so out on a field while a forker snorted at me while he was a hundred yards back in the woods. Two other deer were with him but they didn't react at all. When he finally bounded off they went with him, but the three of them only moved off fifty yards before they were walking out into the open within 100 yards of me and they were all relaxed when they came out.

huntingonthefly

Gone but not forgotten
matching blow for blow- i had a couple does circle to the bow with me blowing- thought i blowed it initially, lol. it was a do or die, so why not- worked great.

taylornelms

GONetwork Member
Agree with the above, Sat on the ground opening morning of gun season, had a big doe walk up almost to me. She stopped knew something wasnt right and blew and ran to the other side of the field i was hunting. Well apparently she wanted to go where i was. I blew at her, she came right back. We did this until legal shooting light. She didnt take the .270 too well to the noggin. No need to spoil meat on a doe.

You will hear all kinds of things on here but practice that blow and do your best to do it just like them, and who knows it might pay off. Either way they are running the other way, might as well try.

KGarner

Just this past season I was hunting one morning it was real windy, so I got down just scouting around a little, walking down an old road bed looking at all the tracks in the road, when all of a sudden I heard one blow, when I looked up it was a nice 8 point running away from me. I took out the ole Long Can flipped it one time he came right back out in the road less than 20 yds from me, and the .300 mag got the best of him.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Last year at Oaky we saw a BIG BUCK down the powerlines and he was looking at us.......he BLEW at us with a very loud echoing trombone sound.......we were hog hunting but we watched him for about 5 minutes, maybe he did not see us, but it was very clear then that every animal in that forest knew something was up!
It was hard to keep still and not laugh as we were both in awe.......first time I have ever really heard something of that nature and it was AWESOME!!

Yea it would have stunk big time if we were Deer Hunting, but we weren't.

hoppie

Bucks do tend to be louder and deeper. Almost like an older bucks grunt is louder or deeper than a young one's.(usually) I am not to discouraged during the rut with a blow because sometimes they blow when they are being chased. I had a big 8 pt. come sprinting by me last year running straight a deer that was snorting up the hill on the other side of me. In most experiences a bigger buck will just slip out and try not to raise any alarms, but I have heard them snort at me before.

merc123

I've "called" a yearling back to my stand blowing and using a fawn bleat call. I think it's a "what the heck" sound...kind of like a dog cocking it's head.