Clayton County back when!!!

possum steak

Gone But Not Forgotten
Born & raised in Calyton County. (1965-1998)

Yeah I remember Clayton County <sigh>. While I lived in Forest Park until I was almost 7, we moved right where highway 138 goes between Riverdale & Jonesboro. I worked at the old & one that is there now Kroger (highway 138 & 85 - newer one = 85).

I remember as a kid when they shot the old Smokey & the Bandit movie. I fished the Flint right where the Bandit had jumped. I went to everything mostly that the county had to offer.
I did all the arcades as a teen (I'm 44 now) and beat everyone's score at Centipede!:clap:

I used to hit the old water park right beside the skateboard park in Lake City (Forest Parkway across from Kroger) in the late 70's early 80s. Hung out at all the teen hang outs. Got gang beaten (I deserved it) over off 2nd Street in Forest Park (rough area).

Indian Lake, Joy Lake, Shamrock, yeah Fayetteville to, knew some friends there, did it all.

Last place I lived there was in Pointe South down on the highway 54 side before I moved here up north back in '98.

possum steak

Gone But Not Forgotten
grew up in Marlboro Sub.in Jon'buh 1969-1992. many a day on a skateboard riding down Huntington hill, and in the spring/summer runnin the Flint River fishin and such.

I was right across 138 from you at the top of the hill on Old Rountree Road in BriarGate. Remember that one?

Also, did you ever get to go to the historic Judd's Grocery that sat on the top of the hill beside his house?
They moved his old store to Jonesboro downtown area & it's a gift shop now.

I used to talk to Judd all the time. The woods behind there used to be old crops back in the 1800s & it had old dirt roads, a few places where someone took cows.

In fact, when I was a kid, we found an old dump of antiques. Old Gospel Hymm books from the 1890s, many other things. I also hit both of the old burned down houses & found where they dumped their old bottles & such. I still have to this day a nice glass bowl that I keep change in & I've had this for 30 years at least.

Money man

Crusin' the Home Depot in Forest Park.....man , those were the days!

Home Depot then to Krystal's....back to Home Depot then to Krystal's..back to Home Depot then to Krystal's

:rofl:

Started at the Mall then of course when it closed, you started the round's mentioned above.

My grandfather and uncle use to lease the land where Lake Kedron is now....some of those $400,000+ houses around still have the old tree stands and spikes in the trees....we'd get a deer and parade around main street in Jonesboro before taking it to t&t....

anyone remember the Civil War re-enactments in the Suder Elementary Playground!!!

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Anyone ever camp out at Turtle's for concert tickets?

That brings back the memory of getting ten bucks for my birthday and spending 8 dollars and change on the vanilla ice tape. I can remember wearing the neon plastic sunglasses and nodding my head to the beat and singing ICE ICE BABY... too cold too cold.:rofl:

Ohhh and all this was in the passenger side of my moms dodge daytona cruizin down tara blvd with the windows rolled down. man was I cool. lol

One other thing which wasnt that long ago was when hooters burned down. That was a tragic day!

You know you're getting old when you can remember the rock concerts at lake Spivey. To name a couple Grand Funk, Chicago. Remember the Pop Fest. at A.I.R. before it was Atlanta Motor Speedway? Remember when the Kiwanis had the skating rink in Forest Park, or when Butch's was just a trailer and a certain organization met there every Sat. night ? Man I do and those sure were good times but all I can say is I'm glad I don't live in Clayton County now !!!!

shea900

remember when MZ Home Depot, AMC, etc...was horse plantations!!!

That's where I grew up at. All farm and pasteur land back then. Rural pretty much. We would walk to MZ Babtist Church on Sunday mornings. I got good and skint up on that hill going down to Valley hill I think it was........I remember when they built I-75. There was a dirt road across the construction zone until the overpass for MZ Blvd. was
finished. I used to hang out at Southway and the Goldmine , Indian lake and the waterpark in lake city....

josey wales

I remember the water park in Lake City. Wet Willy's, I think, concrete slids with a foam matt for slidin' down.

cook

Good ole southway..
i lived on poston road for 8 years, went to pointe south and then to jonesboro ..grad. in 88
from what i hear, i dont want to be going back
but i do miss Deans Bar B Qo

Last edited:

BIGABOW

i was right across 138 from you at the top of the hill on old rountree road in briargate. Remember that one?
yeah many afriend over there

also, did you ever get to go to the historic judd's grocery that sat on the top of the hill beside his house??

seems as a small kid i remember that place

possum steak

Gone But Not Forgotten
You know you're getting old when you can remember the rock concerts at lake Spivey. To name a couple Grand Funk, Chicago. Remember the Pop Fest. at A.I.R. before it was Atlanta Motor Speedway? Remember when the Kiwanis had the skating rink in Forest Park, or when Butch's was just a trailer and a certain organization met there every Sat. night ? Man I do and those sure were good times but all I can say is I'm glad I don't live in Clayton County now !!!!

never knew they had them there. I could kick myself in the butt for not knowing about them.

What years did these groups play at Spivey, in the 70's?

campinnurse

I grew up in Forest Park and remember: dirt roads around Hendrix Dr Elementary School, the Sat. mattinee at the Forest Park theatre on Main St, Joy Lake, stopping at the Kwik Shop on Main St coming home from FP Jr High, riding my bike all over town with my brother and Mom didn't have to worry about us. Boy am I showing my age here! I moved away in the 70's and am glad I did but those were some good days.