22LR or 32 ACP for self defense

redlevel

I would probably go with .22lr between these two, simply because of ammo cost and availability. There are several good .22 lr semi autos available now, sized right for concealed carry. I like the Ruger SR22. Mine feeds most brands without a hitch. I would find a brand that is reliable in my particular gun and practice a lot with it.

Of course given a choice, neither of these calibers would be my carry piece.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I carry a LCP in .380 ACP.

gt40

PS: Here is a 30 foot target I shot almost as fast as I could pull the trigger while pointing at the bottom of the neck. The first shot I aimed at where the nose would be and it hit high and to the left. So I pointed low at the neck and every hit was a game changer.

Attachments

• LCP 2.JPG
    LCP 2.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 203

frankwright

I have been carrying this little Kel-Tec .32 in my pocket 24/7 for probably 8 or 9 years.
I load it with Fiocchi 73gr FMJ and it has been 100% reliable.

When I go to the outdoor range to practice I will end up the session with whatever gun/guns I have been shooting, and then I will fire a few magazines from the .32 while retreating or advancing or moving sideways. I always aim for the eye socket or bridge of the nose and can usually put all of the rounds pretty close to where I want them.
The thing about this little gun is it is in my pocket all the time no matter if I am wearing pants, sweats shorts or pajama bottoms. Hopefully it will let me stop an immediate threat and get to a bigger gun if I need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Between the two, I would go with the .22, in something like the Ruger SR22. In general, though, I would carry something at least 9mm or bigger.

Rabun

I carry a 8 shot LCR in .22lr for my "snake gun"...I use either a pocket holster of slide holster (inside or outside TWB) depending on dress. Don't carry that for personal protection though.