thompson center rings

fiddlinduke

bought myself a t/c venture 300mag and need to put a scope on it. it comes with 2 short weaver bases on the gun. would i be best to remove them and go with a picatinny rail? either way what about rings? My scope is a 4x16x50 30mm tube millett.

CowtownHunter

Think I have the same scope. Is it illuminated reticle? Not bad for the money.

As for your question, I would spend the extra money for the rail on a quality set of rings. I have several T/C rifles in various calibers including 300WM but never considered to swap out the base. They all shoot 0.75" or better.

Last edited:

jmoser

I always use a 1 pc base with long action cartridges; much more flexibility in eye relief and where the rings clear the scope centerbody and lens bells.

Weaver makes a nice inexpensive 1 pc base; you don't need $$$$ mounts. I use standard 'old style' Weaver rings on my .300 mag; square steel crossbolt fits the slot solid and holds up to 64ksi loads just fine. Make sure you push the ring forward against the slot before tightening else recoil will let it slip.

Hint - use maximum eye relief with the .300 Winnie !!

rosewood

I believe the full length scope base makes the action even more rigid.

fiddlinduke

Think I have the same scope. Is it illuminated reticle? Not bad for the money.

As for your question, I would spend the extra money for the rail on a quality set of rings. I have several T/C rifles in various calibers including 300WM but never considered to swap out the base. They all shoot 0.75" or better.

Cowtownhunter, yes it is the illuminated reticle. Very good, affordable scope.