Scope windage issues

WishboneW

Looking or some ideas to troubleshoot a windage adjustment issue.

Remington 700 ADL in 3006 built in 1986.
Had a set of see thru mounts and 3X9 40mm TASCO.
Would shoot a 5 shot one hole group @ 50yds with my reloads, 61 Gr RL22, 165 gr Sierra gameking , 3.34 COAL.

Changed to:

Burris Signature series 4X16 44MM.
Burris 2 piece steel base weaver style
Burris Signature series steel rings with 0 offset inserts.
Blue locktite under the bases, bubble level the scope and torque scope screws 1/2 turn at a time cross hatch like an engine intake manifold torque pattern.

Sent the scope to Burris right after I bought it to fix the twilighlight daylight adjustment and go over it. Got it back with a clean bill of health from Burris.

The scope will hit 1" left @ 25 yards with the windage adjusted all the way to the right stop. It will adjust to the left to off the paper.

What might be my problem? Appreciate any ideas/suggestions.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Looking or some ideas to troubleshoot a windage adjustment issue.

Remington 700 ADL in 3006 built in 1986.
Had a set of see thru mounts and 3X9 40mm TASCO.
Would shoot a 5 shot one hole group @ 50yds with my reloads, 61 Gr RL22, 165 gr Sierra gameking , 3.34 COAL.

Changed to:

Burris Signature series 4X16 44MM.
Burris 2 piece steel base weaver style
Burris Signature series steel rings with 0 offset inserts.
Blue locktite under the bases, bubble level the scope and torque scope screws 1/2 turn at a time cross hatch like an engine intake manifold torque pattern.

Sent the scope to Burris right after I bought it to fix the twilighlight daylight adjustment and go over it. Got it back with a clean bill of health from Burris.

The scope will hit 1" left @ 25 yards with the windage adjusted all the way to the right stop. It will adjust to the left to off the paper.

What might be my problem? Appreciate any ideas/suggestions.

Different bases might help.

killerv

I'd throw the seethrus, tasco, and gunchaps back on that '80s rifle and get my old setup back.

honestly, hard to beat a leupold or redfield base setup with the windage screws. Adjust the windage screws while you are boresighting.

Sometimes the turrets can get in a bind and some light tapping can free them up...but I've only seen this be the case maybe once or twice in my life. I worked for gunshop while getting my degree and we sent our share of burris back to the factory, I don't think I could ever own one.

jglenn

swap the scope with your old Tasco and see if you have the same problem.. if so then something with the mounts if not it's the burris scope

WishboneW

Thanks all for the replies! I am going to take it to the range
and take the below steps.

Step 1:
I am going to remove the rings and install the old Tasco with the rings on it, weaver style, on the rifle using the Burris bases. Scope has been leveled in the rings on another rifle and being Weaver design, should slip on the bases.
If it will adjust windage appropriately go to step 2.

If not remove scope and take rifle and bases to a gunsmith to check that the holes in the receiver are in line with each other in line with the center line of the barrel. Have smith correct any misalignment if possible, if not repairable purchase windage adjustable base and go to step 2.
If the holes in the bases are not in alignment with the center of the base, send bases back to Burris for replacement and go to step 2 once new ones have been returned.

Step 2:
Install Burris rings on Burris bases on gun. Install Tasco scope and bubble level. Check that scope will adjust for proper windage.
If yes send Burris scope to Burris for repair.
If no, install off set inserts into rings and adjust Tasco for windage.
If yes it adjusts try same with Burris scope. If no, buy windage adjustable base and repeat process.

I have installed the Burris scope on the old see thru mounts and could not get it to adjust properly. 1 inch left @ 25yards with the adjustment maxed out is not proper.

If I have to tap the scope to free the adjustment, what would happen when a 3006 round goes off? The scope would still need repair.

Have I missed anything? Any other suggestions?

Appreciate the help!

Darkhorse

Burris makes those rings to take offset inserts for a reason, and that is to correct problems like your having simply without going through all this stuff your talking about. The first thing I'd do is get some offset inserts and try them. If I'm not mistaken they make them in .005, .010 and .015 offsets.

WishboneW

Thanks Darkhorse I did just buy a set.

I suspect that the real issue is just what Killery suggested, however, I want to elimination all other possibilities before sending the scope back to Burris. I will try them though just to see how well they work

wareagle700

I’ll second using the inserts with the Burris rings. However, it sounds like there is an alignment problem somewhere. That kind of stuff drives me crazy, I’d find what was causing the misalignment and fix that. Either way, the Burris signatures are better rings and I’d keep them on the rifle.

WishboneW

Wareagle, agree on the rings. I have a set on another rifle. All told I have 6 Burris scopes, 5 for over 12 years. None but this last one has been suspect or even failed to hold zero year after year.
We will see what is the issue this coming Saturday

WishboneW

Got a half day today due to Jury duty so I high tailed it to the range.

Tasco 3X9 scope mounted on Burris bases and rings with no off set inserts sighted in 3 shot group dead center under 1" @100 yards.

Windage issue is definitely the Burris scope.

Back it goes.

Burris scope

they will repair or send you a new one.

Never doubt that steel rings and bases are "the problem" nor a less solution than "see thru mounts".

I threw ALL see thru mounts in the trash 30 years ago for a reason....they are aluminum and they are crud.

Unless you are a 50 yard paper plate dude.

s&r

WishboneW

Burris could not fix my scope.

Got a new Veracity 3X15 50 MM from them yesterday as a replacement. Took them a while but they did retain me as a customer

Burris could not fix my scope.

Got a new Veracity 3X15 50 MM from them yesterday as a replacement. Took them a while but they did retain me as a customer

Gotta love a happy ending! Glad you got all figured out and Burris didn't jerk you around any more. :cheers:

WishboneW

I opted to wait on going to the range until the wind dropped below 20 MPH. Probably this coming week end.

12-06-2017 02:51 PM
godogs57 "Burris...that's your problem.

I have 5 other Burris scopes youngest of which is 11 years. Never had a problem with one until I bought this last one, a used 4x12 Signature series that was just replaced, godogs57, you must have had a few.