Which gun

zman

I just purchased a t/c compass.. It say 1" MOA.. Well that ain't happening.. The action is rough and i just dont like it.. What 308 rifle would you suggest with a smooth action that is very accurate out of the box? I looked at the tikka t3x. Thanks for the leads..

Dub

I just purchased a t/c compass.. It say 1" MOA.. Well that ain't happening.. The action is rough and i just dont like it.. What 308 rifle would you suggest with a smooth action that is very accurate out of the box? I looked at the tikka t3x. Thanks for the leads..

I have a Tikka T3 and have nothing but great things to say about it. My particular rifle is no beauty queen....basic synthetic stock.....but it's trigger and accuracy are much to my liking. Durable gun that will last me a long time.

I have had really good results with M700 over the years and recently bought another.....CDL. It's a very sharp looking gun with nice wood. Saving up now for some glass for it. Factory trigger on my gun is also to my liking.

I've had great luck with Model 7 in .308, too. Much lighter gun, smaller profile, mighty handy in the stand and easy to tote.

The Browning A-Bolt & X-Bolt are two that have been great in my experience. You can go with super nice looking wood stocks or a durable synthetic.

michaellee84

What ammo have u tried? Different grain bullets also may change ur thoughts about the gun. Depends on barrel twist. All guns shoot ammo differently. Just gotta find out what the gun likes. Just a thought before u buy another gun.

lonewolf247

T3 and the Weatherby Vanguard are both smooth, generally accurate, and pretty nice rifles for the money. They are built a bit different, and vary a bit in weight. Go handle both of them and you decide. Either should make a nice choice.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I own a Browning BAR and sold a Remington 7400. I wish I kept the 7400 because it is slightly more accurate than my BAR. It would shoot 5 shots in a ragged hole at 100 yards. The BAR won't, but will keep them inside an inch. They are both excellent rifles.

gt40

PS: I killed a buck at 285 yards with the 7400 and put 2 shots in his chest that were only 2 inches apart. I shot then he ran in a circle and stopped in the same spot in the same direction and then I shot again and he dropped.

rosewood

I bought the compass in 6.5 creedmoor and so far, I have been able to get MOA out of it. You are right about the bolt, it isn't smooth. I suspect it will get better the more I shoot it and work the bolt. What do you expect for a $300 ($225 with rebate) gun?

Rosewood

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?

Did you say smooth action??
Try m70 winchester!

Big7

The Oracle
I own a Browning BAR and sold a Remington 7400. I wish I kept the 7400 because it is slightly more accurate than my BAR. It would shoot 5 shots in a ragged hole at 100 yards. The BAR won't, but will keep them inside an inch. They are both excellent rifles.

gt40

PS: I killed a buck at 285 yards with the 7400 and put 2 shots in his chest that were only 2 inches apart. I shot then he ran in a circle and stopped in the same spot in the same direction and then I shot again and he dropped.

I sold a 7400 on the "new" classifieds this year. :banginghe:banginghe

If you are looking for something with a smooth, dead ringer for a Mauser action, get a Ruger and be done with it.

Did you say smooth action??
Try m70 winchester!

This!!

The newer FNH manufactured M70s are great rifles. I've purchased four of them since 2012; two Featherweights (both in 06) one Super Grade (.308) and one JOC Tribute (.270).

They all produced sub MOA 3 shot groups with factory ammo and two will shoot 1/2". Silky smooth CRF action and the great 3 position safety that the M70 is famous for.

With a bit of searching you can find a Featherweight online under 8 Benjamin's.

Will45

This is the first time I've ever heard of a Compass NOT shooting MOA or better. Try some match grade ammo and maybe have someone else shoot the rifle. If that doesn't work, call T/C so they can make it right.

If you just want to buy another rifle, what is your budget?

Similar to the Tikka is the Kimber Hunter. Both will be smooooth and sub MOA.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Will

zman

Thanks guys.. I was shooting 150 grain hornady whitetail ammo. I love hornady ammo and have had great luck with it.. the gun has a 1;10 twist. The gun feels good and lines up great.. First 3 postion safety i have ever had and it takes some getting used to.. Went the other day and look at tikka n browning.. Liked the tikka but the new heck canyon browning i feel in love with. But for 1100 i would go with the tikka.. But loved the browning..lol

Thanks guys.. I was shooting 150 grain hornady whitetail ammo. I love hornady ammo and have had great luck with it.. the gun has a 1;10 twist. The gun feels good and lines up great.. First 3 postion safety i have ever had and it takes some getting used to.. Went the other day and look at tikka n browning.. Liked the tikka but the new heck canyon browning i feel in love with. But for 1100 i would go with the tikka.. But loved the browning..lol

Metal...synthetic....metal.....synthetic...? Its all in whatcha want.

Lead Poison

I would chose a Tikka any day over a Browning, but that is just me.

I really like the Tikka rifles and highly recommend them.

ryanh487

I have a compass .243. Shoots sub moa all day with federal ammo. Buddy got one in 30-06, also moa with Winchester power points. What ammo are you using? Are your action screws tight? What scope?

transfixer

With a 1 in 10 twist I'm betting if you tried 165gr ammo your groups will shrink. Seen it many times before.