Determining breed date by measuring fetus

Pilgrim

A doe was shot on our property tonight (12/14/17), and these two fetuses were inside. They measure one inch long. Do any of y'all have one of the measuring tools by QDMA that can tell approximately when this doe was bred?

Attachments

• December Doe fetus.jpg
    December Doe fetus.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 866

FOLES55

Wow that’s crazy. I’ve been hunting a long time and never seen that. I’ve never even thought about looking for a fetus either, so might have just missed it maybe.
Thanks for sharing.

shootemall

She was bred... During the rut! I know, dumb answer, but at least this will be on top again and somebody else might be able to provide an intelligent answer. Thanks for sharing. Btw, did you claim 3 antlerless tags on that? :)

GottaGetOutdoors

Alabama Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries agency conducted a study for years to better understand rut timing. Biologists collect bred does in the Spring and pull reproductive tracts. A fetus growth chart helps determine average date of doe conception for that area, as well average date of fawn parturition (birth). Data has been collected statewide for many years. Contrary to coffee shop opinions, rut timing remains consistent year-over-year for each area despite weather conditions. For example, average date of conception for my lease in Crenshaw County is Feb 4.

mtnDoc

i've hunted big plantation in south georgia for the last 10 years. We also go in January and shoot does, per their managment plan implemented by a biologist. We measure the fetuses and figure out conception date. Neat tool to use, but for some reason i don't like shooting does that are pregnant.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I think I have that chart on my laptop at home. Now I just gotta remember to post it.

Pilgrim

Thanks so much, guys!

chadf

ECF2D6C4-63D0-4329-85F1-36044BECAE1B.png