Gregg Allman has passed

alphachief

Yes, the crowd was very respectful. In talking with Kirk West, he said there are plans to add a really nice memorial wall behind both sides of the grave plots and that other original members of the ABB have plans to be buried there. I think Butch was cremated and he'll be one of the first to be there. Gregg had bought 10 plots around Duane and Berry's some years ago.

I've always been a big Dickie Betts fan and it was great to hear that he and Gregg had been speaking a good deal over the last year and that he attended. His son Duane is the spitting image of him in his younger days...and plays a heck of a guitar as well.

Twiggbuster

I heard over the weekend that a nice lady who owned those 10 plots approached Allman and offered to sell the plots- at cost.
Sign to me that it was meant to be.
Nice pics of a touching weekend.
Thanks for sharing.

alphachief

I heard over the weekend that a nice lady who owned those 10 plots approached Allman and offered to sell the plots- at cost.
Sign to me that it was meant to be.
Nice pics of a touching weekend.
Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I heard that was the case as well.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

DannyW

I first heard of Gregg Allman's death shortly after returning from a week long fishing trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota. It was reported about the same time we returned to the outfitter's place where our phones had been stored for a week. Welcome home.

We then headed out for a 6 hour drive to the Minneapolis airport. As luck would have it, my friend the driver had an iPod of Allman Brothers music, and it's all we listened to for the full journey. Four men, unlimited Allman Brothers playlist, 6 hours. Beautiful.

At first, I did not understand why the news of Gregg's death affected me so much. After all, despite growing up in the deep south during their full popularity, they were not my favorite band. Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith on the national level, and Lynyrd Skynyrd and ARS on the local scene, well, those were my favorite bands.

I did not even fully appreciate the Allman Brothers until the 1990's.

But last week on the trip back from BWCA I realized that the Allman Brothers were my "timeline band".

Whipping Post? Yeah, I can relate that to a time in my life. One Way Out? Yep...been there!!! Blue Sky? I remember hearing this for the first time after an especially nice weekend at Lake Hartwell with an especially nice young lady. Melissa, Rambling Man, and many others, once I heard them, the dates and times of my life, where I was and what was going on when they were popular, just came rushing back.

So no, I don't consider the Allman Brothers to be the best band ever. Maybe not even top 10. But I do appreciate their catalogue of music, and especially how it relates to my own personal journey.

RIP Gregg.

alphachief

I first heard of Gregg Allman's death shortly after returning from a week long fishing trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota. It was reported about the same time we returned to the outfitter's place where our phones had been stored for a week. Welcome home.

We then headed out for a 6 hour drive to the Minneapolis airport. As luck would have it, my friend the driver had an iPod of Allman Brothers music, and it's all we listened to for the full journey. Four men, unlimited Allman Brothers playlist, 6 hours. Beautiful.

At first, I did not understand why the news of Gregg's death affected me so much. After all, despite growing up in the deep south during their full popularity, they were not my favorite band. Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith on the national level, and Lynyrd Skynyrd and ARS on the local scene, well, those were my favorite bands.

I did not even fully appreciate the Allman Brothers until the 1990's.

But last week on the trip back from BWCA I realized that the Allman Brothers were my "timeline band".

Whipping Post? Yeah, I can relate that to a time in my life. One Way Out? Yep...been there!!! Blue Sky? I remember hearing this for the first time after an especially nice weekend at Lake Hartwell with an especially nice young lady. Melissa, Rambling Man, and many others, once I heard them, the dates and times of my life, where I was and what was going on when they were popular, just came rushing back.

So no, I don't consider the Allman Brothers to be the best band ever. Maybe not even top 10. But I do appreciate their catalogue of music, and especially how it relates to my own personal journey.

RIP Gregg.

Well said.

alphachief

By the way, the Allman Brothers were not only rooted in Blues and R&B...they could play some serious funk. I'd go so far as to say in 1969, they were as funky as James Brown. If you doubt that...pull out the first self titled ABB album and play Black Hearted Woman. :cheers:

Big7

The Oracle
Here you go..

Vince on the lead..

Josey

Here you go..

Vince on the lead..

That was a good one.

Gregg was always such a soulful singer. Part of Georgia died with him.

Zac is always good.

Vince sure did bend some strings there. I wish he would have sung more. He has a great voice too.

Big7

The Oracle

Whoop.. There it is..