2015-2018 Silverado/Sierra Squeaking Springs

TripleXBullies

GM says that squeaking rear springs is a characteristic of the truck and won't do anything to actually fix the issue. The squeak is much louder in the summer and can be heard in the cab over the normal volume of the radio and vent and occurs from the flex of normal acceleration and braking. GM claims that it is sufficient for them to grease the springs periodically to keep this from happening.

I've gotten exactly 3 days of no squeaking following one of the 4 repairs.

Dealerships were originally replacing the springs in 2014 of the 2015 models that started having the issue. Once that proved to fix nothing, as it is bad springs that are causing the issue a Technical Service Bulletins was issue to re-torque the bolts on the rear springs. That didn't work either, as it is the design of the springs that is causing the issue, not how they are installed, another TSB was issued to place 6 inches of grease in between the springs at the front and the back. This didn't work either, as grease washes away and before that, attracts dirt and other particles that cause the sound to be worse. Another TSB was issued with a new kind of lubricant.

While GM claims that there is no real issue, that it's a characteristic of the truck and the springs to make noise, they have also issue numerous service bulletins that attempt to fix the issue. Why would they document a fix for something that isn't an issue? Still, now, the current marketing brochure for the 2018 Silverado explicitly states that the rear springs are tuned for noise reduction, as did the brochure for the 2017 models. These were created and printed after the issue was identified, TSBs issued and after GM began claiming that the squeak is a characteristic of the truck and the springs. IT's still on the web site and in print today that the rear springs are tuned for noise reduction.

See page 17 of the brochure.
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/...

As of January 2018 I have an open complaint with the Better Business Bureau that GM is, of course, dragging their feet with and giving the same excuses for.

GM is aware of this issue. I am sure they've had an analyst look at the frequency and severity of the issue and how many times it's gotten to the point of a breach of warranty case that actually costs them money. The analyst showed that it would cost less to shut people like me up than to do something about this manufacturing issue. I didn't buy a brand new truck to get something that sounds like a 95 F150 hitting a speed bump or worse than an old boat trailer that rusted in someone's backyard for 15 years and then bounces down the road. I also didn't buy a brand new truck so that warranted issues would get brushed away as a characteristic of the vehicle.

T-N-T

Could be worse. Could be late 90s early 2000s F-150 and squeak loud enough under the front end to hear it across Walmart parking lot

TripleXBullies

It definitely could be worse. It was worse during the summer. I didn't want to ride with the windows down. And yes, it could definitely be worse than that.

My first truck was a new 98 S10. The front suspension popped like crazy. I didn't care, I was 16. Things like that don't get better with time. When I was 18 and out of warranty with 60,000 miles it was too late to do anything about it.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Mine does not do it but I have heard of several that do. The last "fix" that they came up with was using a certain type of grease that Honda makes. That didn't fix it either. It must only be a real small percentage of trucks with this problem for GM not to do anymore about it

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Sting music on here had the same problem and GM ended up buying the truck back but good luck with that

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Had a 95 Dodge that did that. I finally fixed it by blowing powered graphite between all the leaf springs.

TripleXBullies

The Honda grease was used last month. I've already submitted my repurchase form to GM. Honestly, though, from what I've read since then, they take off a lot for mileage. So much so that you can probably trade it in for more than they'd give you. So I'll ask for a replacement and then trade that in to another manufacturer.

TripleXBullies

They were American Bulldogs. I was using OSB and some game bred dogs. I have one dog left... great granddaughter of my old dogs.

T-N-T

Seems like plastic spacers would fix it

I have (kid without a father) packs on my Jeep. S10 mixed with Cherokee leaves in the YJ pack. They made an awful noise when I put them together due to metal on metal squealing and such.

But they stopped on their own due to dirt and rust and the like.

Try removing the rubber and let em rust up. ;)

GoldDot40

Is it the actual springs squeaking...metal on metal? Or is the squeaking from the spring bushings?

mudracing101

Do not put any wd40, spray lubricant or grease of any kind on your springs, it will trap dirt and squeak. Car washes that use that shiny stuff on your wheels can trap dirt and also make it squeek. Spray with purple stuff or a degreaser and let soak in between the springs and then pressure wash off. Powdered grahite may work but if there is no dirt between the plastic and spring it will not squeek. A hot pressure washer will help with the degreaser.