You can kill a deer in the heat and full moon! I did this afternoon.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Well after reading that the deer where moving at night this week and on top of that it is too hot I decided I would head to the woods of Carroll County this afternoon. I figured this little front might make them move. I was hunting with my bow as this is a urban area. I have been seeing these two does all season and for one reason or another just haven't got a shot at them, well this afternoon that changed.

At about 6:20 I hit "the can". Well about 5 minutes later I catch movement. They came from a hardwood ridge working towards the pines just as they had done before. I noticed that the lead doe was the biggest so I got ready. I drew back when she was behind some thick stuff and she stepped into my lane. It was about a 30 yard shoot. I hit her perfect and she plowed the ground the way she came. I heard her pile up just out of site. The thunderheads did an awesome job. There wasn't a doubt with the blood trail. This is my second deer of the year, both with a bow. This is by far the largest doe I have ever shot. I don't know when I'll get my pictures cause there's film still on the cam.

Jeff Phillips

Way to go! Sounds like a fun hunt!

Scouter

THe guys here sure can get you pumped . Congradulations on your harvest. hoping myself to do the same tomorrow afternoon.

huntaholic

good job

Sounds like a great hunt,I love to bow hunt myself I just hope it cools off. ::;

Meriwether Mike

Gald it worked out for you. As the old saying goes. "You cannot kill deer sitting at home on the couch."

Bow Only

I had a 2 1/2 yr old 8 pt with a 15 inch spread at 30 yards this morning at 10:45, but he wasn't what I was looking for. You can get them on the full moon, but it ain't easy. Good job.

Hawg

Banned
I seen a small 8 and a spike around 5-6 o'clock yesterday evening. Their out moving around fatting up for the rut.
Ive seen more deer the last 2 weeks than all of bow season. :yeah:

Jim Ammons

Yep! I intend to agree with you, I have harvested hot weather deer in time past. However, I am beginning to have callous' on my bottom for sitting so much this week. Hot in SW GA and all activity is after dark. Maybe it will cool down next week and open up a little, rut should kick in strong between 8th-20th of November. :shoot: