Point and petrified wood from Southern Saskatchewan

2bbshot

Went on a hunting trip to Canada for ducks andd geese and was lucky enough to find a broken point and a piece of petrified wood. Worldwide I see fresh plowed dirt gotta look. :bounce:

Attachments

• 9304ED87-8EDA-4431-9DD0-7046D8DB297C.jpeg
    9304ED87-8EDA-4431-9DD0-7046D8DB297C.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 902

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nice finds. That`s an interesting point. I`d love to see the base of it.

2bbshot

Thanks Nic me too. Found it on top of a big rise about 100 yards from this old church. Also killed a sage grouse first for this Ga boy and it was a really cool birds tasty too.

Attachments

• AF1BEFCB-2CBF-4217-A2F7-07287D4F0DC0.jpeg
    AF1BEFCB-2CBF-4217-A2F7-07287D4F0DC0.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 838
  • C3A0A9B6-DBDF-4326-A528-D37F0CC84E61.jpeg
    C3A0A9B6-DBDF-4326-A528-D37F0CC84E61.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 844

dtala

Any idea what that flute is about? Odd to me

flutes, esp on both sides, are usually only found on very old point types, such as Paleo era. This is 12,000 to about 10,000 BC. Lots of debate on why those folks hit a flake up the side of the point to make that deep flute. Most of the flutes are not very long but some, as in a Cumberland, go all the way up the point.

My guess is that it is for a thinner point at the hafting end, easier to attach to a shaft.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I don't knap so please pardon the inexperience. Wouldn't making those flutes put the maker in danger of destroying a nearly finished pretty good point?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don't knap so please pardon the inexperience. Wouldn't making those flutes put the maker in danger of destroying a nearly finished pretty good point?

Fluting points was only done by the Paleo people of the last Ice Age. The purpose of fluting was aid in thinning the hafting area where the point meets the foreshaft or shaft of the spear. It also helps to stabilize the point in the haft to keep it from slipping or turning on impact with the animal. If the point slips on contact, good penetration is not achieved and can result in game not being taken. In the case of Columbian and woolly mammoths, mastodons, Taylor`s bison, and other assorted megafauna that fluted points were sometimes used on, penetration into vital areas was critical.

Clovis, Cumberland, Folsum, are the hallmark fluted points, along with some types that are sometimes fluted, like some Dalton`s, Simpson`s, Cowhouse Slough, and a few others. Since striking a percussion blow at the base of a nearly finished point is a hazardous undertaking with the chance of breakage, you run some risks, but that`s how these points are made. And they worked.

2bbshot

I sincerely appreciate the info gentlemen! Made my day. I know its broken on both ends but still very cool to me. A band and a broken Paleo point is a successful trip in my book.

Katalee

Whether it is broken or not. Anything Paleo in nice. Just think how long it was laying there waiting for you to pick it up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, very much so. I have a pile of points that I have broken during the fluting process. They broke a lot of them the same way.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Thank you for linking to that thread. I had never seen it. Very impressive.