; Hammocks - Page 2 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Camping, Hiking and RV's

Old 06-20-2012, 11:48 AM

Nah, no picture. that was the night it was 17 deg outside so we checked on him before we went to bed just to make sure he had gotten in the bed ok. It's a good thing we did, he would have been a Popsicle in the morning. He wasn't even all the way in his bag just kind of jumped in and was done.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Do any of you Hennessy owners have the bottom entry model?
http://hennessyhammock.com/
Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
I don't have one but I have used one. That's why I don't have one. They are ok and work fine and I would take one if someone give it too me. Or if it was a deal off of craigslist or something, but I would not buy one new. The thing I don't like about them is being able to adjust stuff. I like the zippered one's because I can unzip the side and lay all my stuff in and get my bag in place. And stuff my mat in my bag, and hang anything on the ridge line or fill the ridge line pockets up with my stuff. All without having to work through the hole inside the hammock. The zipper also lets you flush in the middle of the night if you have your bathroom in there with you.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General P View Post
I don't have one but I have used one. That's why I don't have one. They are ok and work fine and I would take one if someone give it too me. Or if it was a deal off of craigslist or something, but I would not buy one new. The thing I don't like about them is being able to adjust stuff. I like the zippered one's because I can unzip the side and lay all my stuff in and get my bag in place. And stuff my mat in my bag, and hang anything on the ridge line or fill the ridge line pockets up with my stuff. All without having to work through the hole inside the hammock. The zipper also lets you flush in the middle of the night if you have your bathroom in there with you.
Yeah I can see your point. I wouldn't want to crawl into that hole just to get something out of my hammock or prepare my bedding and night stuff routine through that hole.
One more question, Can you sleep on your side in a hammock?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:12 PM

I like the looks of the Hennessy Exployer Deluxe.
http://youtu.be/TH-inS7lqkk
Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah I can see your point. I wouldn't want to crawl into that hole just to get something out of my hammock or prepare my bedding and night stuff routine through that hole.
In a Hennessy you can. Their hammocks are made with the ridge line that pulls the ends together. That combined with the asymmetrical cut {diamond } of the hammock and it allows you to put your feet at one end and you head at another. That way you can lay on your side. The tie outs that pull the sides out help too. The cut and ridge line combine to make a non banana shaped hammock.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I have a Velcro strip on the bottom that you crawl in from, I have not seen the zipper models, I like mine but can see the advantages of a side zipper as it is a little of a pain to climb in the bottom seal it up slide your bag back over and get in, the material is a bit slippery, but I bought it not intending to use a bag and for this use it works great.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:22 AM

ttt for luke
Old 03-08-2016, 01:59 PM

Got it thanks!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilber85 View Post
I have been a backpacker for a long time, but I always have used a traditional tent/sleeping bag. Lately I have been looking at either a Hennessy Hammock or a War Bonnet Blackbird.

Any input on which you prefer and if it is doable in the winter?
If it were me, and I wasn't going super cheap as I usually do, then I would get an inexpensive double hammock on Amazon for about $30, a Kelty Noah tarp for about $50, and then spend the real money on Econo top and under quilts from Hammock Gear. Of course, super cheap can be fun, too.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Sure, but you need a double hammock with a structural ridgeline to give you the proper sag to be able to lie on the diagonal. Check out the Hammock Forum.

You can put it all together very inexpensively and get pretty good stuff.

Last edited by GoneShootn; 11-16-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-17-2017, 09:47 AM

I have seen stuff on Craigslist before that was a good deal
Eno gets bought on a whim at State Park stores and then dumped when spring cleaning time comes
Old 11-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Wow, resurrected thread, cool! My daughter and me ended up getting netless hammocks from Dutchwear. He's big on the Hammockforums.net. He makes various little ridgeline and guyline hardware that is popular on that forum.

I think we went with PolyD hammocks. Now Dutch has Argon and other choices. You have to research the various materials to see which one best matches your comfort and weight. We got the ones with an attached ridgeline. Makes it easier to pitch with the right tension/angle and also gives you a place to hang your gear from, flashlight and gear bag.

https://dutchwaregear.com/11ft-netless.html
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php

Next we bought a cheap mosqito net from walmart. My daughter flipped them upside down so that the top was now the bottom and cut the new bottom open. She sewed the new top, which used to be the bottom closed and left slots for the hammock suspension. This was the only way to make the cheap net long enough. You don't need the big rectangle of the traditional bug net at the top. You need it at the bottom. It barely is long enough even with the flip. It basically hangs open on the bottom near the ground. Somehow it works even with the bottom hanging open. I don't aways use my net.
It is a variation of the Fronkey design that's also popular.

Next we bought a Warbonnet Superfly. It's basically a tarp/fly with doors that goes over your hammock. You can hang it from one long continuous ridgeline or two individual lines. It's rated as 3 or 4 season. You could get by with a smaller fly in the summer. We like the privacy of the Superfly. We went with poly.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/superfly/

We started out thinking we wanted a hammock with built in net and fly. We later decided to go with individual pieces. I want to get some snakeskins or some type of bag/sleeve to slide my tarp into. We're also going to make an overquilt and underquilt out of Costco down throws.
We recently bought some dyneema cord, Loop Aliens, and other guyline tensioners to try out. Paracord is too big and heavy and it stretches when wet.
I might buy some ridgeline, flyz, or fleaz from Dutch as well. There is a huge "fiddle factor" with hammocks but it's nice to sleep off the ground above the flowing water of a midnight rain.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Great advice from Art. Definitely check out the forums. Lots of good info but also lots of opinions pro and con on the same things. And lots of videos online about how to properly hang and use them. Those really helped me. I really like the idea of making my own stuff (at a substantial discount) but I do not have the skills. So I ended up with a Warbonnet Blackbird (integrated bug net and shelf) and Hammock Gear Incubator Econ 20 and a tarp from my son's Hennesy hammock. Works for me and I sleep much better than in a tent. Best of luck in your decision.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
We recently bought some dyneema cord, Loop Aliens, and other guyline tensioners to try out. Paracord is too big and heavy and it stretches when wet.
I might buy some ridgeline, flyz, or fleaz from Dutch as well. There is a huge "fiddle factor" with hammocks but it's nice to sleep off the ground above the flowing water of a midnight rain.
Get some Amsteel Blue from Dutch and make our own whoopie slings and ridgeline (and anything else you can think of). It's easy (check Youtube for multiple how-to's) and pretty fun if you enjoy tinkering with ropes/knots/etc.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:57 AM

Just like every other hobby in life, it's never cut & dry when it comes to gear choices etc. Individually the gear isn't too expensive but does add up quickly. I guess one has to research and just go with what sounds best for him. We went with straps instead of whoopee hook suspension.
I'm not much of a knot guy thus the Dutch bling looks appealing. He sells some individual tarp ridge lines with the hardware already spliced on;

https://dutchwaregear.com/stingerz.html

Last edited by Artfuldodger; 11-21-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 AM

I bought some of these Loop Alien Guyline Cord Adjusters but I haven't used them yet;
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Adju...p+aliens&psc=1

I picked up a poncho liner for $4.00 at a thrift store. I thought about a DIY Poncho Liner Under Quilt. It gets doubled for and underquilt and you can add more insulation to it. Lot a trouble for one that doesn't look like it would work much below freezing.

We're still sleeping in bags as we don't have over and under quilts yet. I tried a pad in my hammock a few times. It doesn't work that well plus backpacking with a pad is a pain.

https://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/...ew-and-no-sew/
Old 11-21-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Just like every other hobby in life, it's never cut & dry when it comes to gear choices etc. Individually the gear isn't too expensive but does add up quickly. I guess one has to research and just go with what sounds best for him. We went with straps instead of whoopee hook suspension.
I'm not much of a knot guy thus the Dutch bling looks appealing. He sells some individual tarp ridge lines with the hardware already spliced on;

https://dutchwaregear.com/stingerz.html
True. There are a bazillion different ways to accomplish the same task.

I use the 'non ratchet' end of a 2" ratchet strap to wrap around the tree, then hook my homemade whoopie sling to that strap with a Marlin spike hitch knot Like this guy describes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Yvvt39Luk. I don't have toggles, I just find a stick laying around on the ground to hold the knot.

Whatever works for you and keeps you off the ground when hanging is all good!