Based on shape...

Tentwing

Based on the shape could they have used this as a knife ?

Any ideas what it is ? I found this in Walker County GA back in the early 70's.

Thanks in advance , Tentwing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 759

KentuckyHeadhunter

Definitely a hafted knife blade. Maybe for fleshing. Would have had a bone or antler handle at one time. Very nice find.

Pointpuller

Nice. Looks like a hafted knife to me. Like KentuckyHeadhunter said it probably had a bone or antler handle but don't rule out the wood handles. Im sure wood was used for lots of handles and many other uses but its decomposed so there isn't much proof.
Ive found 3 antler handles and 1 had the blade still in place.

NMH5050

Nice. Looks like a hafted knife to me. Like KentuckyHeadhunter said it probably had a bone or antler handle but don't rule out the wood handles. Im sure wood was used for lots of handles and many other uses but its decomposed so there isn't much proof.
Ive found 3 antler handles and 1 had the blade still in place.

Can you please post a picture of an antler handle that you found? Thanks

Pointpuller

Here you go. The end of the handle has been drilled. Not sure why but a guess would be after the point was secured with pine pitch at the hafted end another glue was poured from the back of the handle.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Duff

That is flat out amazing PP. Thank you for sharing :cheers:

NMH5050

Here you go. The end of the handle has been drilled. Not sure why but a guess would be after the point was secured with pine pitch at the hafted end another glue was poured from the back of the handle.

enhance

enhance

enhance

That is incredible! How did you find it? Thanks again for sharing.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Both are really nice knives. I`ve personally only known of one other hafted knife find, and it had an antler handle too. I`ve heard of an ivory handle found in Florida.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
That is remarkable. Was the blade original to the handle, if so were the blade and handle found joined together? Florida has some of the most beautiful points ever made. Nothing much prettier than the fossilized coral blades and points. Gil

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is awesome. Very rare find indeed.

PappyHoel

Thanks for sharing. Arrow head hunting is just as good as deer hunting.

KentuckyHeadhunter

All I can say is WOW on that one. Good grief that's an amazing "in tact artifact". Thanks for sharing that.