how old??

GADawg08

how old were ya'lls kids when you started letting them tag along on turkey hunts? My little boy will be 4 on april 14th. I started taking him dove and deer hunting this past season. I doubt I would take him "running & gunning" but I thought about setting up a blind in one of our fields and taking him. Just curious as to when everyone else started. Also, good luck to everybody this season!! I hope to see some youth pics after this weekend:cool:

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Mine was 6. He slept against trees lol. Running and gunning was all that kept him awake. He shot his first at 8 sitting against the tree beside me.

Last edited:

RLykens

My daughter went at 6 years old and killed her first bird. She hunted about 6 times that year runnin and gunnin just not so far or fast. She hunted the entire next season at 7 runnin and gunnin hard. Then killed her second bird last year at 8 years old hunting hard.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I started taking my daughter as soon as she asked if she could go , several blown hunts and several hrs in a blind we finally got it done together , and I hate sitting in a blind and never owned one until she started going , probably age 4 , she killed her first at age 8 , and has killed one every year since and is 14 now , and has her gear ready for the morning

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Daughter

She was sitting between my legs on this hunt

Attachments

• 74327237-FF59-4771-80B2-7F08651A922E.jpg
    74327237-FF59-4771-80B2-7F08651A922E.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 370

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
That's a nice pic. What it's all about. I loved my 3 yr old granddaughter deer hunting with me this year. Ant, you may need to think about letting her have some shoes this year. Good luck in the am.

Last edited:

bubbafowler

My daughter has been deer hunting with me two years now. She's 6. This year she carried a crossbow or rifle. She wants to try turkey hunting but she can't sit still for nothing. I'm thinking though I'll take a blind and set it up and try to get her out there. Would not try running and gunning with her though.

Permitchaser

Some kids can sit still some can't. Generally, I use a blind for the young wigglers, then put them in leafy camo mask and gloves. I have 4 grandsons the older ones are fine but my 10 year old can't sit still